RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 136k miles today my lift pump failed about 90 miles away from home, while working. I was on a major highway, CEL, bam dead. Pulled over, gave it a second.... was a bit concerned my motor blew! But I turned it over and it sounded healthy. It finally started again and drove for about another mile, and dead again. Had a co-worker pick me up as I figured it may have been a bad fuel filter. Changed the filter, got drenched in diesel, still no dice. Limped it a couples miles at a time to the nearest dealer. $1300ish bill. Guess it could've been worse but I hadn't heard of these failing although I'm sure I'm not the first.

·
Super Moderator
748 Posts
$1300, jeez, that's ridiculous. Obviously an in tank pump that I'm not fond of. I know the early 5.9's had a lift pump on the side of the filter housing, cheap and replaceable with simple tools, then they went to in tank versions which were no hell.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
$1300, jeez, that's ridiculous. Obviously an in tank pump that I'm not fond of. I know the early 5.9's had a lift pump on the side of the filter housing, cheap and replaceable with simple tools, then they went to in tank versions which were no hell.
Yeah. Unfortunately I didn't have much of a choice as having it towed home wouldn't have been cost effective. Not that I really wanted to drop the tank anyways.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Never pulled a bed off a new Ram , But pulled several Fords off because of the fuel pick ups cracked and disintegrated. IMOP much easier pulling beds off than pulling a full tank out . Beds are extremely easy to unbolt, just unplug tail lights, unbolt filler neck leave on ,Once you've done it several times,you can remove a bed in less than 30 minutes .actuallly about 15 minutes with more experience. Removing the bed is just a little awkward first time.

Basically 3 people for stability WD bolts first and then walk it back to a set of saw horses. Basically taking your time and examining checking out your trucks, frame,wiring, replacing your pump talking with friends beer break , about 3 hours. Now this is with air tools . If your not in a rush or have uptight friends ,usually everyone talking and having a reasonably good time . And if your having a really good time and your tires are worn , before putting the bed back on do a little road test and break out a little transmission fluid and bleach :eek:

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I replaced my 5.9 lift pump 3 time s blamed it for my vp-44 injection pump failure to a large degree. Was not cheap 400$ for th lift and 3000$ for the IP.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thought I was on the Turbo Diesel Register for a second or two when I saw a "Dead Lift Pump" thread. ;-) As mentioned the 5.9 Cummins (2001-2003) were famous for that. I had 3 in 268,000 miles (and one replacement VP44 injection pump). I used to keep a spare lift pump in the truck. It came in handy when mine went while towing my camper.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was driving today when I suddenly lost power. Pulled over to the side of the highway, truck wouldn't turn back on. AAA came and said it's a bad lift pump. He towed it to a Ram dealer which was less than a half mile away; I'm going to call them in the morning and see what they say.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
BrotherDiesel ... From the way you described your truck shutting down , I wouldn’t be surprised if it was the reluctor wheel went south... Keep us informed with the final outcome....

·
Registered
13 Posts
BrotherDiesel ... From the way you described your truck shutting down , I wouldn’t be surprised if it was the reluctor wheel went south... Keep us informed with the final outcome....
You're good. The rep said a magnetic part that should be on a part that's "like a flywheel" was missing. She never specifically called it a reluctor wheel, but it sounds like that's what it was.

Total fix was around $1k; unfortunately FCA is not offering any breaks for ""essential"" personnel like a lot of GM shops are these days 🥴 Truck is running nicely though, but now I have the EGR recall to think about.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I very seldom post, but here it is I have had an issue with a check engine light for 50,000 miles forget the codes, same ones constantly, Anyway dealer said the injectors were dirty and air filter, I knew it was not the air filter but with all the issues with these trucks, I told them to change it and clean the injectors(not warranty item). Drove it home, check engine p2459, p0226d, told the service manger, no power, brought it back after they had it for 11 days, dealer says blew the injection pump and injectors full of metal, 12 days to repair, get it back now the new EGR is leaking all over the manifold, cant win! Good thing I have an extended warranty, this all happened at 92,5xx miles. 2014 limited.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts