RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if these EcoDiesels use a lift pump? Lift pumps are famous for going bad on the Cummins Ram trucks. It looks like the 3.0 uses a Bosh CP4, but does it suck diesel right from the tank, or use an electric lift pump that is going to fail?

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, the new 1500s have a lift pump. We had issues with the CRDs due to not having one, and most on the LOST Jeep forum have installed one. I believe the earlier problems with Ram lift pumps have been corrected by the company.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
It will be like the newer Cummins. There will be a pump in the fuel tank.

If you download the "diesel supplement" from Ram's web site.., there is a section about priming the filter. That is Prof there is a lift pump.

·
Registered
13,665 Posts
Nasty topic on my end. Few years ago mine went out pulling a toy hauler through Texas. Paid for TWO tow trucks. One for the truck and one for the toy hauler, wife and me. Cost me two days and over a grand to get that lift pump replaced with one in the fuel tank.

Lift pumps are bummers.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Forgot about those CRD Jeeps.

My ’05 Ram had the in-tank pump, but I caught it as soon as it went bad since I have a fuel pressure gauge. I replaced it with an AirDog, but it gave up the ghost too, so I now have a Fass. I think the grid heaters are hard on electric pumps.

Are they still running gasser fuel tanks in these? The gasser tanks have an air space in the top for expansion that isn’t needed with diesel. If you vent them you can get another 4-5 gallons in them. You also need to put filters on the rollover valves to keep dirt out. Maybe someday Ram will get it right!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Parts book shows lift pump. I wonder what pressure it is, and if anyone has seen any aftermarket replacement type setups, FASS Airdog etc. I was thinking about having a dual fuel tank but have it be a full independent setup with electric 6 port valve, pump, return.

·
Registered
13,665 Posts
If you can find an under-bed location, tie the tanks together and just use the pump in the factory tank. My bed tank dumps into the main tank with no issues as the factory pump will do the job.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts