RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping some other folks who've installed lift kits on their trucks can chime in and make some suggestions on jack ideas. I've got a 4" BDS lift, without Air Suspension. Does anyone know the safe operable parameters of the stock scissor jack? What have others found for lifted vehicles. Farm jacks/Trail jacks (e.g. Hi-Lift) seem more geared towards an actual offroad vehicle, that is upgraded with a frame capable of being lifted by....but I honestly have no idea.

Can a trail jack safely and correctly lift an Ecodiesel in a flat tire/highway scenario from a point that won't damage the truck?

Are there any other products out there specifically geared towards jacking a lifted truck in a flat tire/road surface scenario that lift from a point that won't damage the vehicle if it's not upgraded with steel bumpers etc?

And also - Those who've lifted AND put larger tires on....does anyone know the largest size tire that can be mounted to the stock spare rim? I've got 20" Fuel wheels (same size as stock wheels), and originally kept the stock tires on the new wheels, so the spare, although only a 17", was compatible. I've upgraded to AT3's, and went up from a 60 to a 65, thus the spare is no longer compatible size. I've now got 275/65/r20 Cooper AT3's. Anyone know what my options are as far as a spare goes? Obviously the stock 17" spare wheel/tire combo won't work, because I went from 60 to 65...so is there another (cheaper than AT3) tire I can mount on the stock 17" spare to fit the 275/65/r20's in total diameter? Will it fit under the truck?

·
Registered
13,716 Posts
Good observation.

Other than on the tailgate of a Jeep, I have maybe never seen anyone with lifted pickups and large tires carry a spare.

Reading your sizes I think you are really not all that big compared to the spare. If you have to use it, use the normal one and just go to where you can deal with repairing or replacing the flat one.

As for jacking it up, I have no clue except to suggest you also carry so large wood blocks to place the jack on or place on the jack.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good observation.

Other than on the tailgate of a Jeep, I have maybe never seen anyone with lifted pickups and large tires carry a spare.

Reading your sizes I think you are really not all that big compared to the spare. If you have to use it, use the normal one and just go to where you can deal with repairing or replacing the flat one.

As for jacking it up, I have no clue except to suggest you also carry so large wood blocks to place the jack on or place on the jack.
Captainmal - going from 60 to 65 got me another inch total diameter (so half inch lift). I would think it wouldn't be a HUGE deal to put on the spare, a half inch shorter than the other tires, for a short ride to a tire shop...but I'll rest better hearing thats a perfectly viable option from someone with more knowledge in the area than myself.

Not to mention I've completed a lot of work/spent a lot of money to have the truck "prepared/off-road capable", so it'd seem counter intuitive to have all of these "offroad capable/prepared" upgrades and the truck not even be prepared for the most commonly encountered scenario, a flat tire.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sidenote - Thank you to whoever the moderator was who audited my thread and reposted it into the correct discussion forum.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Post some pictures of your rig, I'd like to see it with that 4" BDS.

·
Registered
317 Posts
i don't have a major lift, only a 2" leveling kit on the front. I up'd my tire side to LT285/75/17 =34" tire. I put one of the original tires 33"/20's in the spare tire carrier under the bed. Just in case. Better then the 17" spare that was under there. Can run a little on that until I get my regular tire fixed. Oddly enough, I've never had a flat on any LT 10ply tires to date. Hopefully that streak continues.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i don't have a major lift, only a 2" leveling kit on the front. I up'd my tire side to LT285/75/17 =34" tire. I put one of the original tires 33"/20's in the spare tire carrier under the bed. Just in case. Better then the 17" spare that was under there. Can run a little on that until I get my regular tire fixed. Oddly enough, I've never had a flat on any LT 10ply tires to date. Hopefully that streak continues.
Pip - I opted for the LT, E rated Cooper AT3's over the P, D rated, and can honestly say the same. Never had a flat on LT's. The other thing I suppose I should mention, is have been on a roll flipping old tires/wheels on Craigslist, and I was really hoping to recoup a few bucks by selling the stock 20" wheels and stock tires.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Post some pictures of your rig, I'd like to see it with that 4" BDS.
Here's the pic of it after I picked it up from Mid-Atlantic with the 4" lift and the wheels on. I went with the 3" coil springs option in the rear (and fox 2.0 shocks), just because I've got the decked and cap on vs. the standard 2" rear spacer option. It was a good thing I did because I like the rake and I'm only 3/4" rear high. The 2" spacers would've had it tail-low. I'll take a few pics tomorrow with the tires once I've got some good daylight. Got bushwacker "pocket style" fender flares getting installed next thursday. IMG_0328.jpg

·
Registered
40 Posts
I haven't looked at amount of space for the spare tire but I was able to fit a 35 under the truck on my last truck (03 f350) I use my truck bed didn't want to put a spare tire carrier in it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts