RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum and looking at purchasing a 17' or 18' ED. I'm active duty Military and finally getting back stateside this month. I have been overseas pretty much sense these trucks came out and I have been wanting one ever since. I will be looking at adding a leveling kit or 4inch suspension lift. I will be running 33-35 inch tires as well. What do the MPG's look like after the larger tires/lift? Anyone have pictures, MPG avg, or info on this?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I am new to the forum and looking at purchasing a 17' or 18' ED. I'm active duty Military and finally getting back stateside this month. I have been overseas pretty much sense these trucks came out and I have been wanting one ever since. I will be looking at adding a leveling kit or 4inch suspension lift. I will be running 33-35 inch tires as well. What do the MPG's look like after the larger tires/lift? Anyone have pictures, MPG avg, or info on this?

Thanks in advance.
Thank you for your service. I'm level 4x4with 305s (33) 12.5 20E. Overall decline combined was 4 however gained 3 with GDE so net loss was 1mpg.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your service. I'm level 4x4with 305s (33) 12.5 20E. Overall decline combined was 4 however gained 3 with GDE so net loss was 1mpg.
Thank you for the info, this is the info I was looking for. I have read several of your posts and you seem to really like your ED. I have researched for months about them and I am on the fence but really wanting to make the purchase.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have a 4" lift with 35 x 12.50 Tires and basically a Baja style bumper which I think is probably the worst thing I added for mileage - no air dam like on the factory bumper. I average about 18.7 on my all highway commute WITH GDE, before I did all that I averaged about 26 with no GDE....So ya you will take a hit on mileage.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Thanks for your service. Mines not lifted ( yet ) so I can't help ya there....

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Thank you for the info, this is the info I was looking for. I have read several of your posts and you seem to really like your ED. I have researched for months about them and I am on the fence but really wanting to make the purchase.
GDE electronically turns off EGR and many of the 'nagging' potential CEL sensors improving odds for long term reliability. RAMs have exceptional rides and higher end models beautiful interiors. One can purchase a Mopar "Lifetime" warranty on a gasser HEMI or 8 year/120k on an ED. Both peace of mind.

After surviving Saudi Arabia/Kuwait/Iraq in 91' I swore to never allow concern to metastasize into fear...simply calculate risk as acceptable or unacceptable...the ED is ACCEPTABLE...welcome back...

·
Registered
488 Posts
20171004_124318.jpg

Pic above ^

4" lift , 35" Tires. went from 26 ave. mpgs to 21 ave mpgs.

Also , Thank you for your service !

·
Registered
488 Posts
Here's another good pic a had.
Ram Ecodiesel.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Weber, thank you for your service and glad you're coming back home.

Okay, so I went with a ReadyLift 4in lift, Bilsteins all the way around, and Ridge Grappler 295/65/20s on ION 181 20X9 wheels. I get a little rub when I turn all the way left that I can resolve by minimal trimming of the wheel well plastic. The tires are approx 34in but I should've gone with the 35s. The tires are really good when it comes to road noise. I don't really hear them at all. I'm contemplating wheel spacers to get the look I'm going for but I'm afraid I'll be the one with bad luck and something will get jacked. I've thought about removing the fender flares but my wife likes them. I'll probably upgrade wheels and tire size next time around.

It is a 4X4 and it gets about 18-19 in the city and 20-22 on the highway (65-75mph) in good ol Texas heat.

I'm glad I went with a 4in lift because I've gone into several hotels for for parking and barely make it in and out of there. Had I gone with 6in I would've been screwed.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
656 Posts
Yep, thank you for your service! Put Bilsteins 5100 shocks in, that will get you 3" lift, firm up the ride and improve handling. Then add your tires and air bags if you don’t get the air ride suspension.

Just did the tires and Bilsteins will report back today on mileage as I need to make a small trip today.

Final thought some big changes coming for the 2019 model if you can wait a little while longer I think you’ll be happy you did.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for your military support! All the pics and suggestions are awesome! I ended up getting an 18’ limited ED with 10k miles on and so far I absolutely love it! I will post some pictures soon!

·
Registered
176 Posts
the biggest impact on mileage will be the aggressiveness of the tires, not just the diameter.
On my previous truck I went from 35x12.50x20 all season to 35x12.50x20 STT (mudder) and my mileage went from 16/13 to 10/12.
I never worried about getting stuck but was refueling every 200 miles.
Unless you spend a lot of time in the soup get a decent all season or all terrain tire and your mileage won't suffer as much.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well boys, I got the wheel spacers. Got some Supreme Suspension 1.5in spacers for $122. The shop that installed my lift put them on and aligned my truck for free. (They're awesome!)

The spacers made a difference. I did get a little rub but smoothed out the wheel well trim with a heatgun and a wooden stick. I also get a little bit of vibration at about 62-63 mph, but it ain't a deal breaker. Before the spacers is on the right.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Well boys, I got the wheel spacers. Got some Supreme Suspension 1.5in spacers for $122. The shop that installed my lift put them on and aligned my truck for free. (They're awesome!)

The spacers made a difference. I did get a little rub but smoothed out the wheel well trim with a heatgun and a wooden stick. I also get a little bit of vibration at about 62-63 mph, but it ain't a deal breaker. Before the spacers is on the right.

Looks good. When you get a chance go with some aftermarket wheels with the correct backspacing and get rid of the spacers. The spacers put added leverage against your wheel bearings reducing the service life quite a bit, and are known to cause the vibration you referred to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yep, thank you for your service! Put Bilsteins 5100 shocks in, that will get you 3" lift, firm up the ride and improve handling. Then add your tires and air bags if you don’t get the air ride suspension.

Just did the tires and Bilsteins will report back today on mileage as I need to make a small trip today.

Final thought some big changes coming for the 2019 model if you can wait a little while longer I think you’ll be happy you did.

Welcome to the forum!
Did you only put the Bilsteins 5100 and it gave you a 3 inch lift? I want a slight lift, but dont want to lose to much ride quality

·
Registered
100 Posts
Looks good. When you get a chance go with some aftermarket wheels with the correct backspacing and get rid of the spacers. The spacers put added leverage against your wheel bearings reducing the service life quite a bit, and are known to cause the vibration you referred to.
Got rid of the spacers. Drove me nuts. I'm looking at some 20X9 -12 offset. I think that'll give me the look I'm going for.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 31 Posts