RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So, I am at my dodge dealer right now looking into getting the stock anti-spin diff installed. I bought me 2014 ED used with 7000kms on it so I was not able to add this option in a build, as I obviously did not build the truck.

My dealer is telling me that they cannot change the diff i have in it. I was told at another dealership that they could swap it all out for around 1600 bucks. I am wondering if any of you guys have Had experience with cha gi g from the convention diff to the stock anti-spin diff, is it simply just electronic controlled? And perhaps I need a new module?

I also know that auburn gear makes an aftermarket lsd for this truck. Does anyone have any experience with them? Or any other aftermarket lsd's?

Let me know what you guys have found, I live up in northern Ontario, Canada and travel back and forth to Winnipeg from work. I had a lsd in my 1999 Ram and found it to be great in the snow and greatly reduce the amount of time I needed to be in 4wd.

Again, any help and advice is much appreciate.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Dealer probably just going to add problems. Ask them how much experience they have with the ED and this change you want.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have added lockers and LSD's to several vehicles but I wouldn't have the dealer do this work-go to a reputable off road shop. This isn't an ED thing, its a gear thing and not a normal dealer service item. The factory lsd is a clutch type that seems to work well but it's dependent on a gear oil additive to work and my understanding is that they have a finite life. I would go with a geared LSD like Detroit trutrac, which I believe is available for the rear end we have on our trucks.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Per the advice above, have a good off road or gear shop do the work. They probably do way more gear swaps. If the dealer says they can't do it, it's because they lack the skills, most dealers could do it. They are warning you that they don't know what they are doing, heed it! :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found myself an excellent jeep shop here in Winnipeg, they said they deal with this type of deal in the rams about 40 to 50 times a yeah. They can get me detroit or auburn, I'll also see what else he recommends. I have much more confidence on the abilities of this off road shop than I do in my dealership after a ten minute conversation. Thanks for the advice, next winter will be way easier on my 4wd system, as well as my fuel consumption.

I have read a lot of guys not minding this open diff in the winter. Some guys even suggestion the open over a lsd. I guess it is just personal preference because I much prefer an lsd.

Again, thanks for the advice. Should be exciting to get this install done!!

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
You're on the right track by getting a limited slip. Check out some local diesel shops & see how much they would charge - anything is better than getting raped at the stealership!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Found myself an excellent jeep shop here in Winnipeg, they said they deal with this type of deal in the rams about 40 to 50 times a yeah. They can get me detroit or auburn, I'll also see what else he recommends. I have much more confidence on the abilities of this off road shop than I do in my dealership after a ten minute conversation. Thanks for the advice, next winter will be way easier on my 4wd system, as well as my fuel consumption.

I have read a lot of guys not minding this open diff in the winter. Some guys even suggestion the open over a lsd. I guess it is just personal preference because I much prefer an lsd.

Again, thanks for the advice. Should be exciting to get this install done!!
I really question people who think an open diff front & rear is a good thing in a 4x4 truck; I can only assume they've never had a LSD out back... At least it isn't a 1 wheel wonder 4x2; those are completely useless, IMHO.

4x4 auto costs me about 2 MPG highway and about 1 MPG overall from the testing I did this winter. Still, I ran in 2wd the vast majority of the time outside of in-town driving. 4x4 auto is just the ticket for easy takeoff from a stop sign/stop light.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts