RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have an idea what it would cost to upgrade? My dad is considering a used 2019 extended cab and it doesn't have anti-slip. The anti-slip on my 2016 has gotten me out of a bind a couple times now, so I really think he should try to get it. What would an honest dealer charge?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Probably a lot, are we talking the push button locking differential? I think the best option would be to try and find one already equipped with the option. Otherwise you’re talking serious money invested along with getting the button installed and the option programmed. Even putting power mirrors on a pickup that didn’t come with the option is expensive and can be a pain. It’s all do able, just is it worth the cost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Look for a wrecked truck in the junkyard and trade out the rearend for a traditional limited slip differential. You do need to make sure the ratio on the new one matches the old one so it is the same as the front axle(onl;y if truck is 4wd).

I notice your truck is a 2wd model and can appreciate your comment better. Is the one your Dad is looking at 2wd or 4wd? If 4wd I expect he will be fine without a limited slip.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
My uncle did the same on a GM 1500 hd. It was an 01 model he had the dif changed from open to limited slip about 5-6 years ago. I think they charged him $480, and he got a buddy buddy rate because he knew the guys in the service area of the dealer.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Like howie12 mentioned, look for a used axle with the same ratio and a limited slip diff. Cheaper and you could even do it yourself if you want.

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market is a great resource for finding used parts like axle assemblies. These auto recyclers will even ship to you if you don't find one close.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I'd look for a real truck if I was your father. They're easy to find, they say 4x4 on them.

It's unlikely to be an easy swap with an older axle as the '19, unless it's a "classic", have different rear ends than the prior models.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'd look for a real truck if I was your father. They're easy to find, they say 4x4 on them.

It's unlikely to be an easy swap with an older axle as the '19, unless it's a "classic", have different rear ends than the prior models.
Where should he look for that 4x4 badge? Would it be in the same spot as your "asshole" badge?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
470 Posts
fight nicely you two...
there can only be one "winner"
but it won't be either of you

...now back to the subject at hand
I apologize Crash but I could not help myself....

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I actually priced this a couple of years ago. My local place that does this quoted me right around a stack all-in.

Urban Dictionary:

stacks
1,000 dollars
My dubs ran me two stacks!

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am referring to the anti-slip, not the locking push-button option.

I found out that the traction control on the 2019 acts like a slower and less effective version of anti-slip, so I'm not as worried about it anymore. He doesn't off-road at all intentionally. I think traction control will be all he needs.

DrivingZiggy - I kind of figured $1k without being able to get a buddy rate anywhere, so that makes sense.

Thanks all!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts