RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thoughts on whether you need a limited slip rear end on a 4x4. I ordered one but am curious on everyone's thoughts.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I was in the same boat - ended up buying LSD. Explanation given was even if I had 4x4, I could have traction problems - even in 4wd lock. It wasn't much more for the cost so figured get it - then don't worry about it after.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Limited slip differential is far more superior for traction under slippery conditions. I agree with the above statements. If you opted for 2wd you need to purchase the lsd otherwise your screwed in the winter. 4wd can do without it but honestly our trucks drive mostly rwd. Until traction is really needed will you ever use 4wd unless you otherwise engage it. Having the lsd will allow you to gain the traction needed more often than the vehicle switching to 4wd. Obviously driving conditions will change this entire statement but overall your going to save fuel by getting the lsd. And yes no more 1 wheel burn outs when equipped with lsd.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone

I have just ordered a RAM 1500 laramie crew cab 4x4, and since i live in Europe there is not a proper Ram dealership,

The company that i have ordered it from is quite ok but they cant say if the Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle is a proper limited slip differential or not. I do not want to look like a somebody who knows nothig about truck but i want to ask somebody who really knows.

thanks for every response

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,585 Posts
The company that i have ordered it from is quite ok but they cant say if the Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle is a proper limited slip differential or not. I do not want to look like a somebody who knows nothig about truck but i want to ask somebody who really knows.
The factory Anti-Spin differential acts more like an open differential until one wheel starts spinning then uses clutches to engage the other wheel. That is why you still need to use a Limited Slip differential friction modifier in the rear end lube(or a lube that made for LSD rear ends).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts