RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spoke with my dealer's diesel mechanic about how to break in and maintain my ED and he gave me a lot of good pointers and advice. One thing he did say was to be careful not to let the engine idle for long periods of time. The way I understood it was that the engine needed a lot of heat to burn off the carbon with the new emission standards now required for diesel engines. At idle there is not enough heat to burn these carbon deposits off and they can build up in the emission system in the truck and cause issues. I was reading the manual and it stated that after towing or hauling heavy loads that you should idle the engine for up to 5 minutes. Does anybody have any input on this and can help clarify?

·
Registered
391 Posts
When he said dont let it idle for long periods of time, generally that would mean longer than say 15 min. or so. Because as you stated, it wont build up enough heat to burn everything off. And yes, after towing, or driving 'hard" you should let it idle for at least 2-3 min depending on how "hard" you were driving. 5 min. would be a very safe time. that allows the oil to cool down in the turbo so it does not destroy the bearing.

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
Some will idle their truck all night to keep warm. Not a good thing to do with any diesel. Due to emissions, it's worse with this one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Oil and turbo

Everyone keeps talking about oil cooling the bearings of the turbo. That is true in a cummins but I think I read some where in the literature that the turbo is cooled by engine coolant in the vm .... Does anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
391 Posts
The turbo on the eco diesel is oil and water cooled. so both need time to cool down, most importantly the oil as that protects the journal bearing. So when they say it is water cooled, that just means that the coolant helps cool it, but it still needs oil to operate

·
Registered
505 Posts
I wish they gave an oil temperature or coolant temperature to shoot for before stopping the engine. "A few minutes" is pretty vague.

·
Registered
290 Posts
The Ram Cummins has a high idle feature turned on by the cruise control, it raises the r.p.m's up to 1200. Not sure if the ED can do it, you can always put a stick between the pedal and the seat to raise the idle. If you idle the truck you need to raise the r.p.m's to keep everything happy and operating right.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts