RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you guys and gals seen this yet?

What do you think , it seems the power is up, the towing is up, its all looking pretty good? Nice to hear Mauro speak, I thought that was cool.

·
Super Moderator
3,718 Posts
I like the tailgate. It would be useful & helpful for me. I would even pay a reasonable amount more for it. If it becomes a standard item the added to truck cost will become very nominal. We should be getting a drive review very soon. 480 torque with the 8 speed is great. More horsepower to go with it would be very useful to me. Perhaps the tuners can pull the coveted 300 HP out of it in a non race type tune. I know the turbo is different hopefully it’s not as small & limiting as our current turbo.

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
It has been on here before. Just nice to see again as each view gives more hints at what is on the way very soon.

With the changes in both design and equipment, the tunability is a major issue of interest to many potential buyers.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Captain, it is my understanding that the Gen2 is tunable, is this incorrect in your understanding?

I heard that on another video where the 3 3.0's of the big 3 trucks, were being compared.

·
Super Moderator
3,718 Posts
Fxober can you link the video where the 3 3.0s were being compared?

·
Registered
847 Posts
It's nice they felt comfortable bumping up hp/tq and modernizing most everything touching the emissions but otherwise it doesn't sound like a big change from the previous design. It would be nice to know they put everything on the drawing board for improvement.

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
@Captain, it is my understanding that the Gen2 is tunable, is this incorrect in your understanding?

I heard that on another video where the 3 3.0's of the big 3 trucks, were being compared.
Believe this new Ecodiesel engine for the 2020'sis a Generation 3. Talk has been that the 2014's -2016's were Gen 1. Guessing that also included the engines in the Jeeps from a few years earlier. Then there were some changes in the 2017-2018 models making them Gen 2's. Now more changes coming in the 2020's.

That is my impression on the Gen's. GDE spoke to the 2020's as something they will work with for maybe 9 months or so before possibly releasing something for them. Have not heard they have gotten any yet to begin the process. Same can be said for other companies that might get or have been involved in a "tuning" process.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Vern here is that video and I hope I don't disappoint you, he talks only about the 3 engines and not the entire trucks..that is yet to come but I like this vid even more. I will request this full comparo from Andre Smirnov @ TFL, I am sure they are going to do it. The best year for 3.0's is 2020 (best yet anyway).

@Captain, this is the first time I have heard your version of the engine generations. Mauro did not make that comment at minute 2:33, he specifically say , the new generation "3". Now we know from the "Chief" himself. That would be Capo for those of you that want to brush up on Italian. :) And that is confirmed in 4WD vid below... thanks! Can't change the title of my post or I don't know how anyway, so you just have to read , and watch.
Enjoy !

Have a great weekend!

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
I like the tailgate. It would be useful & helpful for me. I would even pay a reasonable amount more for it. If it becomes a standard item the added to truck cost will become very nominal. We should be getting a drive review very soon. 480 torque with the 8 speed is great. More horsepower to go with it would be very useful to me. Perhaps the tuners can pull the coveted 300 HP out of it in a non race type tune. I know the turbo is different hopefully it’s not as small & limiting as our current turbo.
The MSRP for the split tailgate on the 2020s is $995. I am debating on whether or not to get it on the new order I plan to make in the next week or two.

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
@Vern here is that video and I hope I don't disappoint you, he talks only about the 3 engines and not the entire trucks..that is yet to come but I like this vid even more. I will request this full comparo from Andre Smirnov @ TFL, I am sure they are going to do it. The best year for 3.0's is 2020 (best yet anyway).

@Captain, this is the first time I have heard your version of the engine generations. Mauro did not make that comment at minute 2:33, he specifically say , the new generation "3". Now we know from the "Chief" himself. That would be Capo for those of you that want to brush up on Italian. :) And that is confirmed in 4WD vid below... thanks! Can't change the title of my post or I don't know how anyway, so you just have to read , and watch.
Enjoy !

Have a great weekend!
So it is going to be max torque in the Gen 3 Ecodiesel at 1,600 rpm now instead of the present ( call it that instead of the Gen2 or Gen 1 confusion) 2,000 rpm. I like that. The new GM coming is 1,500 rpm for max torque. I say it is a "push" as both engine speeds are the kind of sedate rpm I like in a diesel.

Gonna be a tough decision coming up for many. If they do keep the present engine and offer it in a "Classic" model for 2020 alongside the Gen 3 version that would compound the decision even more.

·
Registered
847 Posts
The video comparison guy sounds like he hasn't closely followed the V2 ecodiesel when he says "rock solid design," "proven history," and FCA had time to "iron out the wrinkles."

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
Well they did have the time. Now let's see into the future and find out if they got it right.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts