1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Super Moderator
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Thoughts?

· Registered
2016 longhorn 4X4
137 Posts
there are a lot of them in the bass boat world primarily for the weight savings, during the infancy into these there were numerous fires with many being attributed to charging issues, i'm going to wait on them for the boat, they are getting better, but i am still ignorant on proper care and charging, the next biggest issue for me is the life expectancy, if they cost 3X as much and only last 2X as long, the the weight savings is the only gain, not sure it's such a deal in my world :rolleyes: open to improvement, just apprehensive to being the Guiney pig:oops::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

· Registered
1,730 Posts
My OEM went 4,950 hours. Would be hard to justify unless one was considering 10,000 - 15,000 hours of us.

If Marine rated may be worth the extra cost.

· Administrator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,945 Posts
That's a whole lot of cabbage for a battery, the weight savings better be very beneficial.
I doubt you would notice the difference between an AGM and a Lithium Ion battery in our trucks.

· Super Moderator
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Could make good sense in a bass or speed boat. Would save 12.8 pounds in my Harley. Plus the CCA would lite it off immediately with a strong bang. Well maybe that would still require a high torque starter I dunno.

But I love a motor that lites immediately with a bang instead a slow lazy crank. Then if I invested in an appropriate charger it might make more sense in the truck. Really in my case if I have 1000 pounds between the bed and receiver I don’t mind the battery weight on the nose.

· Registered
2016 longhorn 4X4
137 Posts
Could make good sense in a bass or speed boat. Would save 12.8 pounds in my Harley. Plus the CCA would lite it off immediately with a strong bang. Well maybe that would still require a high torque starter I dunno.

But I love a motor that lites immediately with a bang instead a slow lazy crank. Then if I invested in an appropriate charger it might make more sense in the truck. Really in my case if I have 1000 pounds between the bed and receiver I don’t mind the battery weight on the nose.
kind of my "train of thought" they are very appealing in the bass boat world merely for the weight savings, huge in performance boating, guys go nuts on weight reductions, the biggest issue i currently have in regard to the options available to us is that for boating applications they are offered in 12, 24, and 36 volt, primarily to accommodate trolling motor voltage requirements, and you'd still need a 12 cranking battery, for cranking the big motor and running all the electronics, it could be another lithium but $till more money, my last 21 ' bass boat i ran 3 group 31 batteries for the trolling motor and one group 27 for everything else, so it is a significant amount of weight :oops: 😢 , hence the problems i mentioned in my previous post in regard to ignorance and charging requirements, i could see the "12 volt" being acceptable in most any application but when you have to start mixing/matching chargers the water gets a little muddy, plus most serious bass fisherman demand/like "on-board" chargers for the simplicity when traveling and charging during multi-day events and needing to re-charge "Deep cycle" batteries overnight...i like the idea of a "lighter battery" and the motorcycle with a lighter one makes a bunch of sense, just not sure the cost (current) of lithium over conventional batteries is remotely logical for a truck, they IMO are priced way out of range for the value the bring, once again IMO

· Registered
211 Posts
I’ve been contemplating something like the odyssey 680 or larger battery for my mustang. I’d like to figure out what my requirements would be, and then look at one of these and see just how much weight savings I would have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

· Registered
244 Posts
I would not do it. Depending on how the electrical engineers designed the trucks electrics... the battery may be an integral "filter" to reduce the ac ripple produced by the Alternator... by taking the lead acid "cap" out of the DC Filter circuit... you may be opening up a large can of electric trouble. I found this to be true on a motorcycle i own. For me it will be an Odyssey Battery when i need.

· Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
15,070 Posts
An "oldie" brought back. LIFPO4 . Think that is the newest designation of lithium design. They do take a special charger rather than just a lithium charger.

Not sure how our truck charging system would work with some of these. I have two lithium batteries in motorcycles. One is in a Harley Fat Boy where the heat of the oil tank, which wraps around the battery, ALWAYS took them out each year. The lithium one I put it is still in and working perfectly now for 5 years. There two years on one in my Moto Guzzi V9 also.

In the boat I have a GPS controlled trolling motor on the bow. Below it is a LifPO4 100 amp battery. Have not run it out yet during a typical day of usage. The charger for it is different than the charger for the motorcycle batteries.

If you buy one, do not send it back as a "box of air". First one I bought upset me. It literally weighs nothing. Shake it and nothing happens. Feels like a box of air. Works. That 100 amp battery in the boat weighs a few pounds. A very few pounds. An AGM with that much capacity would weigh in the 60 lb range.

As for one to use in a truck, my big one in the boat is labeled ... NOT FOR STARTING. That and the charging issue needs to be checked on before using one in a vehicle. Pricing is more than AGM batteries but Ebay and other internet sources offer models significantly less than what is shown above. Lots of videos on YouTube showing them torn apart while being tested. Do some research and maybe there is just the right battery for you. From what I know they are most all Chinese.

· Registered
Vehicle descriptions in signature
1,474 Posts
For the cost, the uncertainties, and the question asked in post #4 I can wait.
I really don't see the need in either of my trucks where AGMs perform very well.

Reactions: Fediej

· Registered
609 Posts
I run that type of battery in all my sport and race bikes. While it does take a higher quality charger, I believe any of the newer chargers work. I also have a "special" charger that balances the cells if needed. Typically, unless one goes way down in charge, you don't need it. I know that I still have my first purchased battery which is now 8 years old.

I don't understand why it's that expensive. 500 cranking amps motorsports battery will go for $200-$250 full retail price.

· Registered
2018 RAM 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel
133 Posts
An "oldie" brought back. LIFPO4 . Think that is the newest designation of lithium design. They do take a special charger rather than just a lithium charger.
The only real headache with the LIFP04 batteries is the fact that you cannot charge them when the temperature is below 32F or you can absolutely destroy the battery. RV folks tend to put them in the living space to avoid this problem, since they are completely safe in that application. A vehicle would need some form of heating for sever weather use.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts