RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone opted for the LR E tires from the factory? If so, what brand tires are they? I once thought they were installing the Goodyear Wrangler Silent armor tires, but that was years ago.

·
Super Moderator
714 Posts
Seriously, I wouldn't put Goodyear on a wheelbarrow for fear of it wobbling. We had Silent Armor and MTR's on work trucks, had to be the most annoying ride over 40 mph. If they weren't flopping in the winter from flat spotting overnight, you could put a cup of cream in the cupholder and make butter after 1/2 a mile.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I can't answer most of your questions but from my experience load range E tires are awful heavy and kill mpg in half tons at least in my experience. I put them on a 2015 f150 with a 5.0 motor. Went from 18.5 19.5 mpg average to 14 and 15 mpg average.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
I guess I don’t agree with anyone so far. I like E’s for the puncture resistance, they wear better, and while the loads we carry are within the rating of P tires LT’s do it much more confidently. I have also never noticed a difference in fuel mileage. Definitely not a drop from 19 to 14 lol

·
Registered
286 Posts
I guess I don’t agree with anyone so far. I like E’s for the puncture resistance, they wear better, and while the loads we carry are within the rating of P tires LT’s do it much more confidently. I have also never noticed a difference in fuel mileage. Definitely not a drop from 19 to 14 lol
What gearing are you running. In my old f150 I had 3.31 and that's exactly what happened. My brother in law has 3.5 ecoboost he had the same results. The f150 tire stock was 38# and the falken tires I put on where 65# 285/65/18 I lost 4 mpg

Edit granted that was going to a bigger tire then stock.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
What gearing are you running. In my old f150 I had 3.31 and that's exactly what happened. My brother in law has 3.5 ecoboost he had the same results. The f150 tire stock was 38# and the falken tires I put on where 65# 285/65/18 I lost 4 mpg

Edit granted that was going to a bigger tire then stock.
What was the stock tire size? I feel confident it wasn’t 285 65 18. Probably didn’t correct your speedometer/odometer for the correct tire size either did you?

My truck is 3.55 rear end.

·
Registered
286 Posts
MAS stock was 275/65/18 so slightly bigger. At that time Ford couldn't correct for tire size changed. Unsure if they even can now. My brother in law stuck with stock size in LT load and had pretty close to same results. A 285/65/18 tire is 32.59 tall stock size is 32.07 tall. Width was less then 1/2 wider. Speedo was only 1 mph off.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My 16 tradesman came stock with LT 265/70 17 Silent Armor. I keep an eye on the pressure and rotate at 5,000 mile interval. They are serving me well and my mileage and ride are as expected.

·
Registered
700 Posts
After a year with the GY I replaced them with Coopers HT3 All weather highway E rated tires. I even went a bit wider to LT275/70R17. They are slightly bigger in diameter by 1/2 inch and that will knock your mileage down 1-2 % because they will turn slower, until they wear some, but it's a very small amount. Yes they are heavier.

As for the ride, I'll tell ya, it's hard to tell any difference. I run the tire pressure at 65 psi (80 psi is max), the ride is still very good, with a nice firm grip on the road.

AS for mileage, I really haven't noticed any difference. I can still get 32-33 mpg, average is the same as last summer, 24-26 mpg running around town.

For highway tread, they do well on snow/ice.

·
Registered
12,441 Posts
Have enjoyed Cooper E’s the last 60k miles. Had I known about ordering them factory would have done that. Super tires and I get great fuel mileage into the 30’s.

Do not believe E-rated tires hurt my fuel mileage. I run 65-70 psi all the time and they are great.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for all the replies so far! Now for some more specific info on my question. I currently have a 2017 1500 QC tradesman 4x2 Pentastar, 3.55 with the stock standard load SR/A tires. As a grocery getter, this tire setup is just fine. I however, work this truck to the max. It tows dump trailer much of the summer, and in about 30,000 miles, I'm up to at least 5 flat tires. One tire has at least 2 plugs. The puncture resistance is comical at best, but again, i understand they are a standard load tire on a 1500. I've gone so far as to have a shop swap out my spare with one of the damaged tires (which, you guessed it) so that i could eliminate as many plugs as possible from my drive tires. I have on order, 2019 classic, in the exact same body, but with Hemi, 3.92, large fuel tank, vinyl/vinyl, trailer brake, anti spin, U3 and most importantly, LR E tires. I am trying to figure out if i should sell my extra set of snow tires, use the "Silent Armor" (if they are still the tire used) for winter, and purchase a set of the LR E Michelin Defender MTX for summer driving to reduce rolling resistance while keeping a tougher tire under me. I understand the "negatives" of a heavier tire, but if it means not having to change flats at often, it is well worth the minimal fuel penalty.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
My recommendation, forget about the big names BFG at’s michelins etc. shop tire sales and buy the cheapest set of name brand e range tire with the all season tread pattern you need and never look back. Inflate them by the chalk test and they will last a long time and I’ve never had them hurt my fuel mileage, but I’m not a red light racer either, I presume that is where most of the fuel mileage complaints come from.

·
Registered
494 Posts
My recommendation, forget about the big names BFG at’s michelins etc. shop tire sales and buy the cheapest set of name brand e range tire with the all season tread pattern you need and never look back. Inflate them by the chalk test and they will last a long time and I’ve never had them hurt my fuel mileage, but I’m not a red light racer either, I presume that is where most of the fuel mileage complaints come from.
+1.

·
Registered
99 Posts

Agree 100%.

My first replacements were 285/70-17's (8 ply)..... Then I decided to go narrow and did, 255/80-17's (10 ply). Next to go on will be 285/75-17's which are 10 ply.

The MPG computer shows lower MPG, like an average of 22-23, but when I hand calculate, I am getting 25-26 mpg.

Also agree 100%. Matter of fact, I have started buying my tires at WalMart.com, as they are the least expensive anywhere.... and they install and balance for only $12 a tire, which includes free rotation every 5k miles. Just can't beat $131 a tire for 285/75-17's!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nexen-Roadian-AT-Pro-RA8-All-Terrain-Tire-LT285-75R17-E-10ply/778888975

It seems the E range, 10 ply tires are made with a different rubber compound and they last a lot longer than standard tires. My OEM tires only lasted 20k miles. Since I went to D-E range tires, I am getting 45-50k out of them.

I've never done the chalk test, but believe I will in the near future. I honestly run my tires constantly at about 65 psi, because I tow our camper about every 3rd week, 8 months of the year.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts