RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you fellows who ordered, selected the locker rear end? I am not sure whether to order the locker or not. Can the lock feature be manually engaged? or is it automatic?

I have read of several different design and am not sure which is on the Ram.

I have talked to a few guys I know that have 3/4 ton trucks, and both suggested that I not get the locking rear end. I am aware of the technical aspects of each, just not sure if I need it on the Ram, or really what the advantage would be for the limited towing I do.

Marsman

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
As far as I am aware, it is a Limited Slip design.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Have any of you fellows who ordered, selected the locker rear end? I am not sure whether to order the locker or not. Can the lock feature be manually engaged? or is it automatic?

I have read of several different design and am not sure which is on the Ram.

I have talked to a few guys I know that have 3/4 ton trucks, and both suggested that I not get the locking rear end. I am aware of the technical aspects of each, just not sure if I need it on the Ram, or really what the advantage would be for the limited towing I do.

Marsman
Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle? i ordered one with mine!

The anti spin rear axle is similar to the limited slip axle. If one of the rear wheels starts to loose traction, the other rear wheel will engage and keep the truck moving (if that side has traction). It doesn't create a bind in the axle as much as a "locked" axle, which helps going around sharp corners.

·
Registered
396 Posts
is a locking axle an option? that is what my truck has now and I really like it. I ordered the Anti-spin because I did not see an option for locking. did I miss it?

·
Registered
366 Posts
There's no locking diff option for our trucks, you'd have to go to another brand for a locking diff in a 1500 series.

·
Registered
693 Posts
A locked diff is one that has no slip. In a turn the inside and outside wheels need to rotate at different rates. If a diff can't slip at all then one wheel has to be dragged across the pavement. Not only does this mean the vehicle doesn't want to turn, but a slipping wheel is one that has no more traction available to hang on to the pavement. Except for extreme use, a locked diff is a bad idea.

·
Registered
366 Posts
What dodge has from the factory is a limited slip not a locker you would not want a locker in a truck unless your off road all the time
Exactly.

With most companies, the electronically locking (or E-locker) diffs unlock the diff at certain speeds or under certain conditions, so you're still benefiting more from limited-slip off road after _______ MPH. Maybe a drag-only race car could use a full-time locked diff but not if it needs to turn.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
What dodge has from the factory is a limited slip not a locker you would not want a locker in a truck unless your off road all the time
Remember, these aren't Dodges :p

What I think of a locker are the ARB air lockers that you engage while off roading that locks the axles so both wheels (or all 4 if tou bave front and rear lockers) have equal power going to them.

Reactions: EgoDiesel

·
Registered
196 Posts
One negative of the limited slip is over time the clutches wear and it loses its ability to transfer power to the wheel with traction. My dakota with 250,000 miles has factory limited slip, but has not been functional for quite some time. Lockers, particularily electric or air operable will probably function much longer.

·
Registered
366 Posts
One negative of the limited slip is over time the clutches wear and it loses its ability to transfer power to the wheel with traction. My dakota with 250,000 miles has factory limited slip, but has not been functional for quite some time. Lockers, particularily electric or air operable will probably function much longer.
Damn. That same idea popped into my head but you were quicker saying it. You're completely right, some will always argue that the limited-slip will ALWAYS wear out, because it's a wear-part like brakes. Realistically, it's not like it's going to happen often but it's likely to happen when the truck's working(and it's the most inconvenient).

·
Registered
149 Posts
Well you pay $325 for a limited slip and it last 150,000 miles then your truck doesn't have limited slip anymore lol

im sure if the rear end is serviced, and limited slip additive it put in
you dont do massive burn out or drive like a moron im sure these limited slips last much longer then you think

·
Registered
396 Posts
I like the locking rear end in my truck now. Works well while plowing or driving around the yard when its a little soft. I have never had a problem while turning on dry pavement.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I think the Ram uses a Torsen limited slip differential which has gears rather than clutches, so nothing to wear out. I have a Torsen on my AWD car and it makes a big difference on slippery surfaces. The option costs $325 MSRP on the Ram but I would not be without it.

I am not sure what model of Torsen the Ram uses but some of them work sort of like lockers in that if one wheel is off the ground they will apply torque to the wheel with friction. There is no true locker available from Ram because this is not a serious off-road vehicle.

Reactions: shaker223

·
Registered
438 Posts
The only vehicles that have had true lockers from Chrysler group in recent years are the Power Wagon and the Jeep Rubicon. Everything else is just Suregrip/Limited slip. I wish they would offer something for the front axel as without the trucks are really only 3 wheel drive when they do have a rear Limited slip.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The only vehicles that have had true lockers from Chrysler group in recent years are the Power Wagon and the Jeep Rubicon. Everything else is just Suregrip/Limited slip. I wish they would offer something for the front axel as without the trucks are really only 3 wheel drive when they do have a rear Limited slip.
I was interested in the Power Wagon until I noticed that it is set up like a basic work truck with few options. No diesel. Vinyl or cloth gray bench seats. But an astounding 31 exterior colors! It is difficult to understand Ram.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I was interested in the Power Wagon until I noticed that it is set up like a basic work truck with few options. No diesel. Vinyl or cloth gray bench seats. But an astounding 31 exterior colors! It is difficult to understand Ram.
Power Wagon has always been gas. BUT, factory bumper-mounter winch! I delivered one for a customer one and it turned more heads than a Challenger R/T. Better to wait and get the 6.4, but it's a 3/4 ton, and like it was mentioned: there is no Ram 1500 series locker :(

·
Registered
438 Posts
The factory winch is cool (when it works). My cousin has a 06 PW and the brass terminals for the winch controls turned to dust in less than two years. We were left digging out for several hours and hand winches. This year, again he had to go through the winch and rebuild the electrical components due to corrosion. Great truck otherwise!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK thanks for the clarification guys,

The fellows up North of the border should be getting their trucks any day now !!

Marsman

·
Registered
177 Posts
I am with Motoman066. It is my understanding that the "anti-spin" diff. works under the same principal as a "limited slip" diff. I ordered the "anti-spin" option on my ED.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts