RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys
I have gotten different answers from different dealers, does the Longhorn come with the trailer brake control and running boards ?
Thanks!
Kirk

·
Registered
575 Posts
Reactions: P90XKirk

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Hi Guys
I have gotten different answers from different dealers, does the Longhorn come with the trailer brake control and running boards ?
Thanks!
Kirk
Not to confuse the issue but note that the Trailer Brake Control can be either a standalone option for $230 or part of the Trailer Tow Group that includes tow mirrors for $330.

Running Boards are standard on the Longhorn. An alternative is Side Steps for $525 (chrome tubular) or $600 (wheel-to-wheel). Every Longhorn I have seen in lots has the Trailer Tow Group and the Wheel-to-Wheel Side Steps.

For my planned Laramie I will skip the tow mirrors which are large and manual folding. And with air suspension I do not see the need for running boards which just reduce payload and attract debris.

Reactions: P90XKirk

·
Registered
575 Posts
And with air suspension I do not see the need for running boards which just reduce payload and attract debris.
Do you know what the step in height will be with the air suspension?

I suppose a step in height should even be lower with the 17" wheels versus the 20" wheels even with the air suspension.

My older arthritic dog needs all the help he can get. I was thinking about adding the Wheel to Wheel side steps just so it is easier on him to load up. But if the air suspension will get the step in height down below 18" then it would probably work for me without the wheel to wheel side steps.

I know in the SLT 2500 that I rented recently, the step in height was about 23". Way to much for my dog and if the steering wheel was not as close to the door, the height would have been to much for me.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Do you know what the step in height will be with the air suspension?

I suppose a step in height should even be lower with the 17" wheels versus the 20" wheels even with the air suspension.

My older arthritic dog needs all the help he can get. I was thinking about adding the Wheel to Wheel side steps just so it is easier on him to load up. But if the air suspension will get the step in height down below 18" then it would probably work for me without the wheel to wheel side steps.

I know in the SLT 2500 that I rented recently, the step in height was about 23". Way to much for my dog and if the steering wheel was not as close to the door, the height would have been to much for me.
That's hard to answer objectively because it depends on many factors. For me it's more a seat-of-the-pants impression. The parked height on the two models with air suspension and 20" wheels that I test drove did not require any gymnastics--parking drops the vehicle 2" according to specs. The 17" wheels and 4x2 each lower the truck a fraction of an inch, too, if those are options for you. (Also, I remember reading that the Chevy 1500 pickup has a lower step-in height than the Ram.)

If you can, go to a dealer and test models with and without air suspension to see what you think. Running boards, steps or stirrups can always be added later. There are also many dog ramps and portable steps available that might be the easiest way for an old dog.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts