RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Fantastic! I have been waiting for this. With my 55-60 mph driving style and limited towing it suits me perfectly. I will order one for Spring of 2019 and trade my 2014 Ecodiesel before the extended warranty runs out mid June 2019. I sure love the Pentastar in my Pacifica. Quiet and economical.

Too late tonight to try the configurator but will tomorrow. I hope I can get the options I want. LED lights and ram box and air suspension and Longhorn trim.

Will be interesting to see what rearend ratio is standard. I'll have sweet dreams of anew truck tonight.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have a 3,6 Pentastar V6 in my 2011 Dodge Challenger. It's been a good engine so far (66K miles) and gets good fuel economy on the highway (27+ mpg). However, if I were to have this engine in a full sized Ram, I would want the e-torque option to give it some extra oomph off the line, especially if I was towing anything, The 3.6 is rated at 268 lbs-feet of torque, and in the Challenger you can tell it isn't a hemi. Just my $.02

·
Administrator
8,578 Posts
I have a 3,6 Pentastar V6 in my 2011 Dodge Challenger. It's been a good engine so far (66K miles) and gets good fuel economy on the highway (27+ mpg). However, if I were to have this engine in a full sized Ram, I would want the e-torque option to give it some extra oomph off the line, especially if I was towing anything, The 3.6 is rated at 268 lbs-feet of torque, and in the Challenger you can tell it isn't a hemi. Just my $.02
Yes the e-torque option is already included in the Ram Longhorns / Limited configuration.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Rams drive quite nicely with the Pentastar. A friend just traded his with 150,000 miles, 25 mpg! Plenty of passing power, just wouldn't want to tow much with it.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
As much as I hate to say it, I believe I will order one with the 3.55 rather than the standard 3.21 rear end ratio, I do need to do a bit of work seeing how the ratios in my Pacifica will work out compared to the pickup. Pacifica turns about 1250 at 55 mph. Very slow but it is a 9 spd and I haven't yet run through the ratios and tire diameters to compare but will do so before I order. I just hope the etorque in the V6 is reliable. Its all the engine I need or want but the non assisted hemi is simpler and has a long term reliability history.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Rams drive quite nicely with the Pentastar. A friend just traded his with 150,000 miles, 25 mpg! Plenty of passing power, just wouldn't want to tow much with it.
I had a 2013 and it ran better than most previous small v8’s. Great set up. For someone limiting towing to a couple thousand lbs or just wanting a truck for the utility it is ideally suited. In a heads up race the pentastar would’ve beat the pants off of my ecodiesel.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
It’s fine with the 8 speed.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Drove one for a month while my baby was in body shop...Averaged 23mpg over 6,000 miles...2mpg more than a loaner hemi and 3.5mpg under my ED. Power of the line was very impressive...as with anything gearing makes the difference. I did put 74k on a 2014 300s in 14 months and was extremely impressed with the car overall...and especially the 3.6/8HP45 combo. Only complaint was dropping to 7th on every overpass here in Florida...MPG gearing in 8th no doubt. 28.5pmg over life of car per fuelly...traded for my ED 11/2015.

Howie12 I think the v-6 option in a high end truck is perfect for those like you, my dad is looking to trade his 15' ED for a 19' Hemi LH however I've advised him to hold off and consider this if/when they come out. Personally do have somewhat of e concern with the e-tourque system being new and having potential bugs to work out however with the options Lifetime MOPAR warranty covering 5,000 components w/ $100 deductible if one is to keep 6-7 years probably worth getting...

My brother bought one on a CPO 2015 1500 Hemi...so far only used $800 of warranty but he is the guy that will keep a truck 15 years and 400,000 miles so for him it is a no brainer...

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
My uncle has a pentastar in a 2wd quad cab. He has shy of 100k miles on it now. Uses it for normal truck stuff and tow a 22-foot 3500-4000 lb boat with it with no complaints. Loaded its not fast but gets the job done.

·
Registered
188 Posts
My uncle has a pentastar in a 2wd quad cab. He has shy of 100k miles on it now. Uses it for normal truck stuff and tow a 22-foot 3500-4000 lb boat with it with no complaints. Loaded its not fast but gets the job done.
According to the Ram site, you cannot get the Pentastar with the Ram Box system, have to upgrade to the Hemi. You can get the 4-whl air suspension with the V-6.

·
Registered
481 Posts
According to the Ram site, you cannot get the Pentastar with the Ram Box system, have to upgrade to the Hemi. You can get the 4-whl air suspension with the V-6.
The site (Canadian) has not allowed a Rambox and Sunroof together on a Limited for years. Funny, I've owned 2 of them now. So don't trust the build & price for configurations.

·
Registered
429 Posts
So what's the real gas mileage on a Pentastar/e-Torque in the 2019, does it really stay at 20 MPG average?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts