RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to see IF I liked the trim level, I went to look at a Gasser Outdoorsman yesterday. Yes, that is still my choice. One thing I did find interesting, on either side of the floor of the rear seat, there was a lid with a storage compartment with a removable liner. I don't remember seeing this on any other trim level. Is this an Outdoorsman exclusive???

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I think the storage area you are referring to is the "Rear Under Seat Storage Compartment" that is available on all QC and CC models. Note that the passenger side area is taken up with the subwoofer amp if you get the enhanced sound system.

I looked at the Outdoorsman, too. It appears to be an SLT with a special option package. It has the off-road features I want but lacks other desirable options such as projector headlamps, leather-trimmed seats, power 6-Way passenger seat, A/C auto temperature and dual zone control, Keyless Enter 'n Go, etc. The easiest approach for me is probably to get the Laramie and pick options and after-factory accessories to make it more like the Outdoorsman: full skid plates, off-road wheels and tires, extra heavy-duty rear shocks, smaller air dam. I'll have to see what's possible when it comes time to order.

·
Registered
12,463 Posts
I test drove two of them. Both had the V6 and both ran down the interstate well.

Did not notice your rear seat storage as I can't drive and be back there at the same time. Did feel pain from rubbing in my right elbow. That darn center consul can't be removed and rubs against my right elbow while driving. Not sure if you can get it with a bench seat and flip-down consul so I ruled that thing out.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I think the storage area you are referring to is the "Rear Under Seat Storage Compartment" that is available on all QC and CC models. Note that the passenger side area is taken up with the subwoofer amp if you get the enhanced sound system.

I looked at the Outdoorsman, too. It appears to be an SLT with a special option package. It has the off-road features I want but lacks other desirable options such as projector headlamps, leather-trimmed seats, power 6-Way passenger seat, A/C auto temperature and dual zone control, Keyless Enter 'n Go, etc. The easiest approach for me is probably to get the Laramie and pick options and after-factory accessories to make it more like the Outdoorsman: full skid plates, off-road wheels and tires, extra heavy-duty rear shocks, smaller air dam. I'll have to see what's possible when it comes time to order.
I should have taken a picture of it and I will search the web, but this was separate from the rear under seat storage. This was in floor storage, reminding me of a caravan.

As far as the options and stuff, this is going to be for camping and towing my camper. I am not interested in too many gadgets. That is why I like the Outdoorsman. And, to me, it is similar to a Big Horn in what it has.

EDIT
This is what I am talking about... Had these on either side of the rear seat floor.

ram_storage.jpg

·
Registered
574 Posts
I should have taken a picture of it and I will search the web, but this was separate from the rear under seat storage. This was in floor storage, reminding me of a caravan.

As far as the options and stuff, this is going to be for camping and towing my camper. I am not interested in too many gadgets. That is why I like the Outdoorsman. And, to me, it is similar to a Big Horn in what it has.

EDIT
This is what I am talking about... Had these on either side of the rear seat floor.

View attachment 45
I saw those storage containers as well in a new 1500 Ram truck. In my case, it was not in a outdoorsman. It was some other trim level. Just don't know which one it was.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
It's an accessory for Crew Cabs called an Under Floor Storage Lock. For some reason it does not appear after 2012 but is obviously available and may even come from the factory on some packages. I have been looking at Quad Cabs--more payload than a Crew Cab!--so was not aware of this locking storage. Looks useful for small items if you don't mind carrying another key.

·
Registered
574 Posts
It's an accessory for Crew Cabs called an Under Floor Storage Lock. For some reason it does not appear after 2012 but is obviously available and may even come from the factory on some packages. I have been looking at Quad Cabs--more payload than a Crew Cab!--so was not aware of this locking storage. Looks useful for small items if you don't mind carrying another key.

From what I remember it was not lockable. Just a lid that opens and closes. Each side of the rear compartment had one.

P

·
0 Posts
I test drove two of them. Both had the V6 and both ran down the interstate well.

Did not notice your rear seat storage as I can't drive and be back there at the same time. Did feel pain from rubbing in my right elbow. That darn center consul can't be removed and rubs against my right elbow while driving. Not sure if you can get it with a bench seat and flip-down consul so I ruled that thing out.
The standard trim is the cloth 40/20/40 buckets with the center seat/console, and option is the full length center console. Search 2014 Outdoorsman Mossy Oak for the flip down console, high res pics available of the flip down seat in Katzkin leather trim since it was just at the auto show last week.

P

·
0 Posts
From what I remember it was not lockable. Just a lid that opens and closes. Each side of the rear compartment had one.
There is a lock set you can buy from the Mopar catalog for 2014 that sells a lock set for them but come without locks it seems.

P

·
0 Posts
It looks that way to me as well with some items removed or not available, but has one major selling point NO CHROME grill without being a completely stripped model. I'm torn because I like almost all the features and the no chrome look, but having driven my dad's Lariat super duty I would LOVE to have leather, cooled seats (Summer heat makes seats wicked hot in Atlanta) and the keyless system looks pretty cool but not a deal breaker. I haven't been into a dealer yet to find out about body color grill options on Laramie trim, and not liking the new Outdoorsman's chrome bumpers over black painted like I saw on 2012s and 2013s. But as you've guessed I'm not a chrome guy at all, until I saw a Black Ram Express model I didn't even consider Rams as most I see around here are Laramie, Big Horn or Longhorns. But the potential of the Ecodiesel has me considering it over a F150. And yes I'm the guy considering the Mossy oak package but definitely without the lower camo banding but the Katzkin seats and actually like the camo center trim but could do that myself depending on model pricing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts