RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I hope to post up pictures of my new ride in the next few days, but I do have some questions first.
I have sifted through this forum and others looking for info on the eco diesel reliability. From what I gather the 14/15's had reliability issues but I haven't seen much on the later models. I assume FCA got those issues worked out and reliability increased greatly (hopefully) . I do know the dealer personally and he said the newer ones are fine but he didn't go into much detail , as he was out of town on a personal trip.
I currently have a 08 Big Horn 4x4 5.7 with 215,000 miles on it. It's been a great truck but I really don't trust it on longer trips these days due to the more and more prevalent Hemi tick. I rarely tow any real weight just a small tractor once in a while, so I couldn't justify a 2500 . The eco looks great to me with the MPG and I can justify the higher fuel cost because of that . Plus the truck is really,really nice and drove great. I am just concerned about reliability long term. I think with the extra MPG over the gas engine if I got 200-300k trouble free miles it is more than worth it. I would appreciate any insight and look forward to posting in the future.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One of our members went alllllllllmost 400K before having to replace his engine. I'm at 124K and there are a bunch of us here on the forum who are in that range and higher.

Show this to your buddy and see if he will match the price. That is unless he has already given you a better deal. I mean, even with the cost of a plane ticket and hotel(s) this place is usually worth it.
Wow, those are great prices! Only problem is , I do a lot of business with this guy so I feel obligated to give him a little back. The price they gave me was higher than Dillon by a couple grand but the owner wasn't there, so I'm hoping the price goes down some tomorrow when I see him.
If I can get 400k worry free miles out of it , I would be more than satisfied. My current truck had tranny problems just under 200k but nothing other than the Hemi tick and routine maintenance .

·
Registered
13,713 Posts
Wanted to welcome you to the forum - first and second post.

Return and do a follow-up about your decision.

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
Welcome and enjoy the forum great bunch of guys here. Price is one thing value and people you can count on is another. I have nothing bad to say about the Dillon dealership what I am saying is if you have to have your truck serviced repaired or warrantied sometimes a few hundred bucks extra on the same truck is a bargain. BTW my ED will soon turn 500k original transmission no repairs. You will notice very few repairs or serious problems with the German made ZF 8 speed on this site or other Ram sites. Lol for clarification Ram has bought rights to assemble them I believe in Indiana but its still a German designed transmission also found in different trims in many high end luxo performance automobiles. BTW I use mine for transporting TTs which is hard on a transmission but obviously within its capabilities.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Price is one thing value and people you can count on is another.
Agree 100% Vern. I searched pretty hard for a few weeks throughout Washington/Oregon/Idaho and ultimately bought from the dealership that is 20 miles from my house. The salesman was super low pressure, the service dept mgr was very friendly and although the quoted price wasn't the lowest, I chose what I thought was "best value vs lowest bidder".

·
Super Moderator
3,326 Posts
Best of luck checkmateking. Honestly I would be tempted to trade that particular truck also. Coolant leaks while covered by warranty can be a pain to get fully resolved. Wouldn't mean I would leave Ram (not that I am brand loyal only that all Mfg have issues) or not buy another Eco or buy a motor that wasn't suited as well for my use. But definitely get yourself in something you are happy & comfortable with.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I say if you have a good rep with the local guy use it as long as the price is within reason. There’s so much published pricing anymore they know where they need to be

Also look the sticker over really good sometimes the small dealers will have more unique options

Back in the early 2000s our local Chevy dealer only ordered 1500s with 4.10 gear ratio when the other bigger dealerships were going 3.73. So little things like that

During the recession we lost all of our local new car dealerships so now it’s 45 minutes to anything so I shop around with little loyalty and avoid the dealership at all costs

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hello everyone, I hope to post up pictures of my new ride in the next few days, but I do have some questions first.
I have sifted through this forum and others looking for info on the eco diesel reliability. From what I gather the 14/15's had reliability issues but I haven't seen much on the later models. I assume FCA got those issues worked out and reliability increased greatly (hopefully) . I do know the dealer personally and he said the newer ones are fine but he didn't go into much detail , as he was out of town on a personal trip.
I currently have a 08 Big Horn 4x4 5.7 with 215,000 miles on it. It's been a great truck but I really don't trust it on longer trips these days due to the more and more prevalent Hemi tick. I rarely tow any real weight just a small tractor once in a while, so I couldn't justify a 2500 . The eco looks great to me with the MPG and I can justify the higher fuel cost because of that . Plus the truck is really,really nice and drove great. I am just concerned about reliability long term. I think with the extra MPG over the gas engine if I got 200-300k trouble free miles it is more than worth it. I would appreciate any insight and look forward to posting in the future.

The tick is just broken exhaust manifold bolts. Nothing to really worry about. I’m at 317,000 on my 2007 hemi and I’d still drive it anywhere.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Brother bought 3500 CTD from Dillin last year...drove it back to Florida. Reason being $4000k less AND truck comes with 'Lifetime Powertrain Warranty' valid at any North America FCA dealer.

I have not read paperwork or studied warranty myself...at a minimum leverage Dillon...express your desire to remain loyal to dealer/yet responsibility to not overspend...and they will have a lot of year end dealer cash to play with.

In YOUR case...if Dillin is a consideration...buy a service pkg from your dealer to maintain good relations...

Reactions: DrivingZiggy

·
Registered
128 Posts
According to ZF, the new gearbox is slated for use in distribution trucks, refuse management, construction and utility applications, school buses, and heavy-duty pickup trucks among others. The 8-speed box is rated for vehicles up to 57,000 lbs, and can handle up to 1,000 lb.-ft. of engine torque. It will also bring a number of upgrades over the previous 6-speed as well, including the ability to send 500 lb.-ft. of engine torque to a dual-side PTO system.

Other features of the new ZF 8-speed automatic include adaptive shift mapping, optimized shift comfort, and what ZF describes as automatic powershifting for a 30 percent higher acceleration rate. Thanks to the new dual damper lock-up converter and transmission-mounted oil cooler, the transmission offers notable weight savings over the outgoing unit while offering a 10% increase in fuel efficiency.

Here is a video of the ZF being developed in the Ram:

watch

1 - 12 of 12 Posts