RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well then, met with my salesman to build a 2021.

Prices up of course from 2015...that said... not intolerable.
Talked to him about the Hemi, apparently the only hemi option is the eTorque, a system I do not think I want.

To my surprise to Ecodiesel printed out as $3,000 more than the Hemi, less than I expected.

So here is my question, how are you owners of the 2020 Ecodiesel doing with the engine?

What are we hearing about the eTorque system? It seems just to add another failure prone setup to me?

Thanks

·
Registered
225 Posts
eTorque sucks, as expected. Numerous reported issues with it, and what does it do for you? Smooth out trans. shifts on a world class trans that's already buttery smooth? Smooth out starts from 0 MPH? What a waste of money and future headache.

EcoDiesel has numerous reported issues for 2020 also. CAC hose leaks, timing cover leaks, EGRs stuck closed, one or two complete engine failures, CELs for turbo malfunctions, etc.

At the end of the day, you should just buy the exact truck you want, get a good extended warranty if you think you'll keep it long term, and enjoy it.

·
Registered
33 Posts

Talked to him about the Hemi, apparently the only hemi option is the eTorque, a system I do not think I want.

To my surprise to Ecodiesel printed out as $3,000 more than the Hemi, less than I expected.

So here is my question, how are you owners of the 2020 Ecodiesel doing with the engine?

What are we hearing about the eTorque system? It seems just to add another failure prone setup to me?

Thanks
I have a 2015 Ecodiesel - Longhorn Laramie Limited - most comfortable truck EVER - but the engine SUCKS 👎 - have had nothing but trouble and it's mainly highway mileage (75 MPH) not pulling any load - just me and the truck - granted it's small things with the exception of an engine rebuild due to fuel line problems that screwed everything up. But, between all those AND the factory recalls, I'm at my dealer on, at least, a monthly basis. Never again on the Ecodiesel - wish I had ordered the V6 - my wife has that engine in her Jeep Grand Cherokee (80,000 miles now) and zero problems. Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have a 2015 Ecodiesel - Longhorn Laramie Limited - most comfortable truck EVER - but the engine SUCKS 👎 - have had nothing but trouble and it's mainly highway mileage (75 MPH) not pulling any load - just me and the truck - granted it's small things with the exception of an engine rebuild due to fuel line problems that screwed everything up. But, between all those AND the factory recalls, I'm at my dealer on, at least, a monthly basis. Never again on the Ecodiesel - wish I had ordered the V6 - my wife has that engine in her Jeep Grand Cherokee (80,000 miles now) and zero problems. Just my 2 cents worth.
You said it very well buckaroo! My 2015 is not the truck it once was, engine wise (another story). So many trips to the dealership. When the truck ran how it was supposed to, I loved it. Not so much now.

·
Registered
124 Posts
My eco was relatively problem free. A very good friend has a 2019 Bighorn level 2 4x4 cc with Hemi and eTorque. He’s had issues with eTorque for a while but it doesn’t seem to disable the truck at least or hurt driveability but check engine lights always on. He’s understandably not a fan of it but did get the first year release. I had the classic and really like the new model upgraded interior in his truck. If I was looking again would try to get just the Hemi without eTorque if I could find a leftover.

·
Registered
2020 Limited ED 3.92 33gal
136 Posts
So far zero issues with MY!!!!!!!!2020, some small electrical annoyances but that’s it. That’s the thing with any new vehicles if you think something might be wrong say something don’t let it go. I had zero major issues with my 2016 bone stock. It’s all in how you use, treat, and maintain your vehicle!

·
Registered
225 Posts
You guys need to browse the Web more. There have been numerous issues. All sorts of issues. Just today another blown engine after only 15k. The PERCENTAGE of failures on the EcoDiesel is what alarms people so much...all engines have issues among small fractions of the total, but the EcoD has been a nightmare from day one. I really don't think this is a powertrain a guy should go into with plans to keep it forever.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts

Thanks
I will offer some comments onthe etorque system on my 2020 Laramie Longhorn 4x4 with the Pentastar V6 gas engine. For a reminder I traded my 2014 Ecodiesel in on the new 2020 and opted for the gas engine because of my opinion that an emissions compliant diesel is not a trouble free engine for a person wanting to keep their truck for several years and over 80,000 miles.

Ref the etorque it is worth noting that the system on the Pentastar and the Hemi are two different systems, similar in concept, but a different supplier for key components. My truck is now 10 months old and I have about 7000 miles on it so I cannot speak about the long term reliability of the system. I will note that the system for the PEntastar is provided by Continental and their system is used on many vehicles and has been around for 3 or so years. A link to their website and an announcement about the system for the Jeep is below. You can find more information on the system on their site

Continental Technology Powers Jeep® Wrangler’s New eTorque Mild-Hybrid System

After living with my new Pentastar etorque truck for 10 months and about 7000 miles I couldn't be happier. It is a great combination. Summertime economy for me with no towing and most driving on rural roads at speeds of 55-60 seems to have stabilized at a hair above 24 mpg. My winter time mileage last winter with snow tires was about 22 mpg. The engine is smooth, quiet and powerful. THe coupling of it with the 8speed transmission and etorque is a great combo. I will not that I bought the optional 3.55 rear end instead of thestandard 3.21 forthe increased towing rating which is a above 7200 lbs with the 3.55. I am happy with that choice too. I thinkthe 3.21 ratio is to highly geared for driving in the 55 mph range.

I do not tow trailer houses, but do tow a pontoon boat and utility trailers. I did a 300 mile roundtrip with an empty 1800 lb trailer one way and a loaded trailer of about 6800 lbs the other way in rolling hills at speeds of 55-70 and was very pleased with its performance.

All in all, it is a great package for me and I encourage you to consider it unless you do a lot of heavy or high windage towing.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts

Thanks
I just got a 2020 Eco and was looking at the Hemi hard. If I would have went with the Hemi it would have been the e-Torque. Bet after driving a 2020 reg. Hemi the 140+ miles to dealer trade for the Eco and only making 19 mpg tops at highway speeds I'm sure glade I stayed with the Eco due to fuel mileage.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Thanks

Thanks
*My off-the-lot new 2020 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel Limited? So far? Not that fun. Purchased a in September 2020. When the vehicle hit 300+/- miles on it, suddenly lost power on the highway and I limped into dealership with Electronic Throttle light and Engine light on. Dealership replaced a "factory crushed" Gas Exhaust Tem Sensor based on codes. That took 10 days to complete. At my request, I asked the dealership to drive the truck 100-150 miles before they gave it back to me. I get the truck back with 459 miles on it. I drive it 100 more miles, Engine light comes on. Back to dealership. Codes read two filters clogged. Service manager says clogged filter doesn't make sense. Calls FCA. FCA says change the filters. Filters on 30 day backorder. Dealership makes a fuss. Filters will be arriving in 7 days = won't get truck back for 10 more days.
If the truck doesn't kill me first via fire or stalling on train tracks, I'm going to stick it out for a few more problems before I call in the Big Guns--or as city boys call them, lawyers. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
*My off-the-lot new 2020 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel Limited? So far? Not that fun. Purchased a in September 2020. When the vehicle hit 300+/- miles on it, suddenly lost power on the highway and I limped into dealership with Electronic Throttle light and Engine light on. Dealership replaced a "factory crushed" Gas Exhaust Tem Sensor based on codes. That took 10 days to complete. At my request, I asked the dealership to drive the truck 100-150 miles before they gave it back to me. I get the truck back with 459 miles on it. I drive it 100 more miles, Engine light comes on. Back to dealership. Codes read two filters clogged. Service manager says clogged filter doesn't make sense. Calls FCA. FCA says change the filters. Filters on 30 day backorder. Dealership makes a fuss. Filters will be arriving in 7 days = won't get truck back for 10 more days.
If the truck doesn't kill me first via fire or stalling on train tracks, I'm going to stick it out for a few more problems before I call in the Big Guns--or as city boys call them, lawyers. :)
“Send Lawyers, Guns, and Money...(Warren Zevon)

·
Registered
502 Posts
E-torque sounds like the bee's knees.

Just a single 90-second stop/start event in the Hemi saves 1.7 ounces of gasoline. If you hit 10 stoplights every day for a year, that's nearly 50 gallons.

Electric start for the first 1/2mph, perfect, electric is 100% torque from the first moment, and that first 1/2mph is now efficient, brake regeneration, now brakes will last 100,000 miles if the caliper pins are lubricated, the motor is off when at stop lights, excellent, it's a great start, once we start back toward the task of stopping carbon release, getting all vehicles up to 35mpg the leaps and bounds in efficiency will be fun to witness, no more rolling coal.

BTW, when are the diesel's going to get e-torque.

If dealers sat customers in an electric vehicle just for the experience, silence, 100% torque from the first moment, much better acceleration, this whole dependence on fossil fuels would go the way of the dinosaur, or, we could continue reversing EPA regulations and let the rivers start up on fire, again, lose sight of the Rocky Mountains from Denver, sunsets in LA and lord knows...the Hurricanes, Fires and Droughts.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I imagine when they start adding electric to diesels the batteries will be capable of running 150+ miles in electric and using the ice will be the option, the driver will choose to use the ice (internal combustion engine), for example to charge the battery or to pull a heavy weight up a long hill.

Audi seems to think differently

·
Registered
2 Posts

Just a single 90-second stop/start event in the Hemi saves 1.7 ounces of gasoline. If you hit 10 stoplights every day for a year, that's nearly 50 gallons.

Electric start for the first 1/2mph, perfect, electric is 100% torque from the first moment, and that first 1/2mph is now efficient, brake regeneration, now brakes will last 100,000 miles if the caliper pins are lubricated, the motor is off when at stop lights, excellent, it's a great start, once we start back toward the task of stopping carbon release, getting all vehicles up to 35mpg the leaps and bounds in efficiency will be fun to witness, no more rolling coal.

If dealers sat customers in an electric vehicle just for the experience, silence, 100% torque from the first moment, much better acceleration, this whole dependence on fossil fuels would go the way of the dinosaur, or, we could continue reversing EPA regulations and let the rivers start up on fire, again, lose sight of the Rocky Mountains from Denver, sunsets in LA and lord knows...the Hurricanes, Fires and Droughts.[/

·
Registered
8 Posts
If dealers sat customers in an electric vehicle just for the experience, silence, 100% torque from the first moment, much better acceleration, this whole dependence on fossil fuels would go the way of the dinosaur,
Do let me know when I can buy an EV in which I can make the 450 and 600 mile runs that I regularly do without wasting a couple hours at charging stations on each leg of the trip, and without having to plan my trip around those charging stations. I'd need 800 miles of EPA-rated range to feel comfortable buying such a vehicle without having range anxiety, particularly in the winter.

That said, I'm sure EVs are great for local use; commuting, getting groceries and so on. But that's not how I'll be using my ED. If it was, I'd have ordered a gasser, not a diesel.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts

If dealers sat customers in an electric vehicle just for the experience, silence, 100% torque from the first moment, much better acceleration, this whole dependence on fossil fuels would go the way of the dinosaur, or, we could continue reversing EPA regulations and let the rivers start up on fire, again, lose sight of the Rocky Mountains from Denver, sunsets in LA and lord knows...the Hurricanes, Fires and Droughts.
stop/start at stop signs makes no sense for a diesel. At idle underno load they burn way less fuel than a gasoline engine since they have no vacuum and a much lower pumping loss. My 5 cylinder in line volvo diesel boat inboard engines burn 0.2 gals per hour at idle in neutral which is about 0.4 ozs per minute of idling. As the load increases to maximum the difference in lbs of fuel consumed of diesel and gasoline becomes less and less.

All in from an overall perspective I don't think electric cars or trucks are near as good from an energy or overall pollution perspective as the current hype indicates. Especially if you live in cold country where 3 or 4 months never go above freezing. The batteries have to be kept warm and significant energy is used to heat and defrost the cabin. If we had all nuclear power perhaps it works but with the blend of fuels we currently use, the lack of good storage options, the highly variable output of wind and solar and the grid problems we have the nirvana you are describing is a long way off. California leads the way on regulation and has the least reliable power system in North America. So what is happening there? People are installing inefficient gasoline, propane or natural gas gensets at their houses and businesses. Not only are these energy inefficient they are pretty poor from a pollution perspective also.

I am sure the time for the electric vehicle will come but I believe mass adoption is further off than currently thought by many. Time will tell.

That said I do like my etorque Pentastar and the stop start is nearly unnoticeable and the added hold back it provides is nice and it helps prevent the stumble of low rpm upshifts allowing for improved overall efficiency. I do think it is a simple and effective system but the battery is very small. The engine still has a traditional battery and starter for cold starts but no traditional alternator. The etorque system charges the 12 volt battery from its 48 volt battery and start stop is done using the belt drive motor generator. That said I do hate to think of what it will cost when the motor/generator fails. A hell of a lot more than replacing the alternator on a non etorque engine I am sure and you will not be able to pullinto any autoparts store and get a rebuilt one and bolt it on in 30 minutes either.

·
Registered
502 Posts
stop/start at stop signs makes no sense for a diesel.
I agree, my point is, hopefully they will have more than a 50 mile range of battery power, so the ice won't need to start the vehicle moving, it can seamlessly start while at speed.

And soon after that they will have 1000 miles of battery range, Rivan will be releasing a 400 mile range pickup with 10,000lbs pulling power shortly, liquid cooled batteries can also be liquid heated, the point of all of this is, we can't keep burning petroleum and expect to not have more severe world weather events, but we can use wind, solar and ocean waves to make petroleum free energy.

I bought a prius in '05, replacement traction batteries were 5,000$, they need a new one every 5 years, now replacement batteries are 1,500$ they still need a new one every 5 years, toyota's batteries are air cooled, tesla liquid cools their battery, tesla batteries will be going a million miles soon, I imagine the etorque system, hopefully won't be an embarrassment, unlike the air suspension, reluctor wheel, egr melting and main bearings.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
No matter what they do there will still need to be a charging period so no more 5 minutes at the pump. And at some point someone will do a creation to grave cost and environmental impact and it might surprise you that the delta isn't all that different, and there is a different but still bad environmental impact.

There will have to be an environmentally clean battery or storage device breakthrough (invention)...maybe from aliens ;)

Reactions: MR. TED
1 - 20 of 30 Posts