RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I’m looking to buy a 1500 eco diesel. Any suggestions with them announcing the new ‘20 coming out ? Not sure if I should wait and prices will drop after that ? Anyway my perfect truck would be quad cab short box 2 tone Laramie with every option. Let me know if anybodies is for sale.thanks

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Since I already have a 3D, it's easy for me to say that I would wait. I wouldn't just wait for the 2020s to come out, I'd wait a few months for discounts if necessary.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Unless your buying used because of budget limitations I'd wait for the 2020. If you waited it out for discounts on a 2020 it will also give you the ability to look at forums and see problems that pop up with a new model. If ya want one now then look for one with good service records. Good luck with what ever you choose.

·
Registered
12,981 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Read around some. There's much to learn about getting and keeping an Ecodiesel running well. There are dealers that currently offer Ecodiesels with a 2019 model year designation. Don't know where you live but if East, Kernersville Ram in NC. If West, Dave Smith in Oregon. Surely there are others but not many. Most of the main production ended with the 2018 model year. Then it seems around June of this year they offered some 2019's. Guessing they are just using up engine inventory as the 2020's are supposed to have a similar but different engine.

There are no 2020's offered for sale yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I really like the idea of these trucks. Thinking I may wait for them to
Come out and pick up a truck from one of you all who I’m sure will be upgrading ! Seems like a bunch of mixed reviews , they sound good once tuned correct. ? Seems like most agree on getting extra warranty. This seems crazy to me to say it’s a good truck but not have enough faith in it to think you have to buy extra warranty. I’m new to eco diesels always had full sized Cummins and such. Starting to get cold feet. But I really like the idea of this truck. Gonna have to ponder this one a while.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Thanks guys. I really like the idea of these trucks. Thinking I may wait for them to
Come out and pick up a truck from one of you all who I’m sure will be upgrading ! Seems like a bunch of mixed reviews , they sound good once tuned correct. ? Seems like most agree on getting extra warranty. This seems crazy to me to say it’s a good truck but not have enough faith in it to think you have to buy extra warranty. I’m new to eco diesels always had full sized Cummins and such. Starting to get cold feet. But I really like the idea of this truck. Gonna have to ponder this one a while.
All manufacturers have experienced significant issues with EGR, tranmission, engine issues. Hyundai replacing thousands of 2.0l gassers for example. MB E350d's oil pump at the bottom of the V was a pure disaster for them.

If you run it like a diesel and not putting around as a grocery wagon you should be fine. The powertrain is quite stout and mileage is out of this world for a 6000lb 4x4.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I saw something about when test driving to set the cruise between 15-25 and if it works then you know it has already been tuned. Is this a for sure thing ? I was gonna go look at a truck and it has some aftermarket rims and such so I was thinking he might have done other things.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
they sound good once tuned correct. ?
With the GDE tune you get a small amount of additional turbo whine. And even though I've hollowed out the DPF and replaced the after cat with a straight pipe, there is just barely any additional noise over stock.

Thanks, I saw something about when test driving to set the cruise between 15-25 and if it works then you know it has already been tuned. Is this a for sure thing ?
AFAIK that only applies to the GDE tune. There are others out there, but also AFAIK GDE is the only one who tunes for engine health and longevity.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts