RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've currently got a '15 EcoDiesel (engine blown and replaced) and I'm strongly considering my first Cummins diesel (likely trade).

I've had Chevy Duramax and Ford Powerstrokes but rarely needed the towing capacity. I love diesel and waited until 2015 for the small block EcoDiesel. I've longed to join the Cummins team- the Cummins has such a great pedigree, etc etc etc...

We are going to be doing more trailering, and generally need more space in the cab. My wife and I are tall, and we travel with our two and four-legged children. I love diesel and came across a 2016 Mega Cab with 24K miles.

It rides great, is certified, and is competitively priced. Anyone have anything to warn me off about?

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
That would've the CP3 injector pump with a proven record of reliability. The engine is the standard valve/ iron block version with a spectacular record of reliability also. Your power will be a significant upgrade. Fuel mileage will be a downgrade but maybe better than my '19, which is supposed to be an upgrade with questionable results so far.

Check on the rear-end ratio. 3:45 would be best for general towing and fuel economy. 3:72, what I have, and a 4:10 would not. Keep the rpm's below 2,000 and run for 1/2 a million miles.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
A 16 with that low a miles is probably someones tow vehicle as in hooked to a trailer and never unhooked.
Personally if you don't need a heavy duty I wouldn't buy one. Up to you to determine what you need im not trying to tell you. HD'd don't make good commuters, are not comfortable and everything will cost more.

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
A 16 with that low a miles is probably someones tow vehicle as in hooked to a trailer and never unhooked.
Personally if you don't need a heavy duty I wouldn't buy one. Up to you to determine what you need im not trying to tell you. HD'd don't make good commuters, are not comfortable and everything will cost more.
Agree ad disagree. They are large and do not make a good urban vehicle. Parking in lots and short trips are not their forte.

Now related to comfort my new 2019 2500n is way more stable and comfortable than the 1500 Ecodiesel. In town it's big and high to enter. Now on the highway it is impervious to bumps, road imperfections, trucks blowing by, wind etc. It is way , way more comfortable than my Ecodiesel . The wife and I are universally in agreement. The new 2019 2500 is way, way more comfortable than the flimsy Ecodiesel.

Simple as that.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
I don't know what comfortable your talking about, but in an HD you hit a bump and your spine goes out your azz. Yes it is more confident with a travel trailer hooked up but in no world is it s better smoother more comfortable ride.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Any difference in ride and or comfort from 4wd to 2 wd? Ease of entrance?

·
Registered
308 Posts
It will have the 3.42 gears if single rear wheel. While not an optimum towing setup, there is power to spare and you can lock out gears to keep the rpm in the sweet spot.

Mega cab is the cats ass, hands down. Sure there are blind spots but the room is second to none. I can pack up the family and have plenty of room for groceries or luggage.

The 2016 has the single radiator stack and by in large has all the issues worked out.

They are a great truck. I love my 2017 3500 megacab.

·
Registered
348 Posts
The Mega Cab is an excellent choice for four-legged children...even better than a crew. The 2500 with longer wheelbase will be more stable than a 1500 towing. Adjust tire pressure on 2500 according to load for a better ride. An Autel can adjust TPMS thresholds and update radio hub frequency. HD is going to be a bit more expensive to operate but my opinion is you are looking at a fantastic vehicle configuration. These 3/4 tons are now 10k lb gvwr and you can expect a slight kick from the back when unloaded going over expansions joints and speed bumps. Ride is arguably less stressful under load compared to a 1500. Just back it into parking spots and you'll be fine. They are shorter than F350 crew with 8 ft bed it seems.

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
I don't know what comfortable your talking about, but in an HD you hit a bump and your spine goes out your azz. Yes it is more confident with a travel trailer hooked up but in no world is it s better smoother more comfortable ride.
Disagree.

My Ecodiesel would do the "flying" around at every bridge expansion joint, wind buffeting from traffic, pothole and road ripple. It was an awful ride compared to my old Cummins and this new one. Right now the wife and I just returned from a 1,300 mile towing run on a hunting trip. We were both motivated to comment about how much more stable and comfortable the ride is with this 2500. We actually were able to go a greater distance to rest stops, get out and not limp in cramped pain like we did with the Ecodiesel.

We crossed a bridge over a large river/lake in Georgia that has a rippling concrete surface. Normally it was a bouncy, bouncy up n down repeated crossing. Last week you could tell that same surface was there and irregular. Barely. I mean we both kind of commented together how much more stable we were in the 2500 as we had been rattled on that crossing many times over the 5 1/2 years I had the Ecodiesel.

Just think the 1500 was a cushioning ride that bounced a lot. I dropped the air pressure in the tires of my new 2500 4 x 4 to 70 psi. Not sure that is a factor but might be. Just seems like there's more room inside the cab, both front and rear, than the 1500. The seats seem more accommodating also. We are pleasantly surprised at how stable and comfortable the ride is compared to the 1500. I don't like the fuel mileage but do like the ride and power.

Heightwise is different. Parking and close maneuvering is requiring an adjustment. Even the old Cummins and Duramax were not this tall. At first we literally had to crawl up into the cab. That changed when I installed those iboards. Now we both seem to be able to step up into the cab with minimal difficulty. Think I remember it was around 30" to the floor from the ground. With the running boards it is now like 17" first and then an easy foot more to step in.
E69DE9C3-FF50-4EF1-B9C2-7994D21FB0B2 by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr

·
Registered
88 Posts
Disagree.

My Ecodiesel would do the "flying" around at every bridge expansion joint, wind buffeting from traffic, pothole and road ripple. It was an awful ride compared to my old Cummins and this new one. Right now the wife and I just returned from a 1,300 mile towing run on a hunting trip. We were both motivated to comment about how much more stable and comfortable the ride is with this 2500. We actually were able to go a greater distance to rest stops, get out and not limp in cramped pain like we did with the Ecodiesel.

We crossed a bridge over a large river/lake in Georgia that has a rippling concrete surface. Normally it was a bouncy, bouncy up n down repeated crossing. Last week you could tell that same surface was there and irregular. Barely. I mean we both kind of commented together how much more stable we were in the 2500 as we had been rattled on that crossing many times over the 5 1/2 years I had the Ecodiesel.

Just think the 1500 was a cushioning ride that bounced a lot. I dropped the air pressure in the tires of my new 2500 4 x 4 to 70 psi. Not sure that is a factor but might be. Just seems like there's more room inside the cab, both front and rear, than the 1500. The seats seem more accommodating also. We are pleasantly surprised at how stable and comfortable the ride is compared to the 1500. I don't like the fuel mileage but do like the ride and power.

Height wise is different. Parking and close maneuvering is requiring an adjustment. Even the old Cummins and Duramax were not this tall. At first we literally had to crawl up into the cab. That changed when I installed those iboards. Now we both seem to be able to step up into the cab with minimal difficulty. Think I remember it was around 30" to the floor from the ground. With the running boards it is now like 17" first and then an easy foot more to step in.
E69DE9C3-FF50-4EF1-B9C2-7994D21FB0B2 by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr
You prob already know this but you get an extra 15 HP if you flip the mirrors up.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Just picked up the new 2500. First time to drive a HD. The following are first time takeaways:
Cummins is very impressive when accelerating. Impressive. Low speed sound is well truck like??
Very compliant ride, we were expecting a u haul type truck experience. Ours is 2wd so maybe the reason.
Low entrance height. Again 2wd?
Numb steering, kinda wanders.
Incredible mileage. Cleared evic out of dealership, never over 55, country driving. 23.4 over 78 miles. Is that possible?
Turning radius is wider.

So far impressive..

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Congratulations with your new truck, Most likely still summer diesel fuel , winter fuel about a 2 mpg loss....

The 2016-2018 Cummins are the best years to own with the original 6.7’s Emissions And tuning are tweaked,less problematic ...

You haven’t even used the best option to owning a Cummins,it’s the exhaust brake!!! Wait until you hit some mountains with your trailer, most likely you and your wife are going to be extremely pleased ....

20 mpgs Highway 65mph not Towing is basically normal mpgs ...

Now your wife can start looking at 5th wheels :giggle: No excuses plenty of power and braking...

This is a true non problematic diesel , the way diesels are suppose to be....

Good Luck and please post the mileage difference for towing between the EcoDiesel and Cummins once you have a good working understanding of the Cummins...

BTW when I tow I lockout 6th gear exhaust brake on full and Tow Haul . You never want your transmission shifting erratically under a load if possible , this should help eliminate this situation... You can leave it non Tow Haul and squeeze out another 1-2 mpgs, Again not recommended , Fuel is much cheaper than transmission repairs and breaking down..IMOP

And I have 42k no tuning and it runs great !!!

3 1/2 years owning my Cummins extremely pleased with my purchase, I just had my front 4wd actuator replaced under warranty, every once in a while I would get a service 4wd light..
This seems to be a common issue ...

·
Registered
348 Posts
Concerning the vague steering, what tires are you running and what pressure?

Congratulations on the truck.

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
Incredible mileage. Cleared evic out of dealership, never over 55, country driving. 23.4 over 78 miles. Is that possible?
Turning radius is wider.

So far impressive..
Oh yeah!

Friend has a 2018 4 x 4. He reports to me the fuel mileage and it IS better than my 2019. My engine is the new hydraulic valve model that is supposed to be more fuel efficient. ?????

Start enjoying. No record of fires or any serial breakdowns. You should like the confidence it inspires. Now go take some pictures, start a new thread and let the rest of us ogle your new "creature".

·
Registered
984 Posts
Wow, great news! Leave Monday for Gillette, very encouraging this will be more reliable. Got to say that Cummins sound and acceleration brings a smile to your face.

Thank you to all, I hope to contribute but will learn much more. This thing is indeed a different experience, but much more refined than I thought. Kinda mad I didn't pull the trigger sooner.

OP, my first HD and driving was my own 2500 CTD. It took being stranded, but so far it was meant to be. Get one!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts