RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm new here and seeking advice on a 2014 Bighorn Ecodiesel buy with 111,000 miles. I have read some topics about short trips been bad for this engines and that got me a little worried because I'm from Puerto Rico and I live like 30 minutes from work that short trips is the most the truck will be getting.

·
Registered
494 Posts
when they say "short trips" it's really any trip that doesn't allow the engine to get up to temp, so like 5 or 10 minutes. your 30 minute commute should be fine, that's what mine is and I haven't had any issues. Of course you'll likely never know how the previous owner treated it, but if the truck made it to 111k it was probably well taken care of.

check out this thread (link below), and do your homework to make sure you're starting off on the right foot. Then enjoy your ride!

·
Premium Member
2014 RAM Big Horn 4x4 Quad diesel
154 Posts
And to put it in perspective, frequent short trips, where the engine doesn’t get to full temp, is bad on all motors, diesel and gas.

If the motor oil doesn’t get to temp, water condensation doesn’t get boiled off. Over time this builds up acids that corrode bearings and seals.

I mostly do local driving, but take my 2014 ED (135k miles) for a longer drive every few trips.

·
Premium Member
2014 RAM Big Horn 4x4 Quad diesel
154 Posts
FYI I’m also seeing 24-25. Mpg with mostly local roads driving.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I purchased a 2014 about three months ago with 145k. I immediately put a gde tune on it and I love it. If I’m driving less than five miles I’ll take my wife’s hybrid but ten or more and you will be fine. Enjoy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts