RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I just joined here to get some info on the Ecodiesel. Looking to buy a used one in a few months. There hard to find and not sure if that’s because everybody loves there’s and keeps them or not many out there. I was hoping I could get some basic pros and cons of owning one vs a gas truck. I have a 97 7.3 dually so would be downsizing a bit but I don’t need the 1 ton. I have a 7500# 27’ TT that we tow a couple times a year but that’s it for heavy towing. I like the idea of the mpgs the rest of the time not towing. Any info would be great regarding years to avoid or if there worth it. Just want to know longevity also as I don’t want a truck that’s always in the shop. Thank you

·
Registered
740 Posts
I have a 2014 which has just been incredible. No troubles except a couple of recalls that were handled easily. I like to talk to people that have one when i see them in a gas station, Grocery parking lot etc. I have yet to meet any in person that doesn't love there truck. Pulls like a Mule and i can get 30 Mpg on the road. Some have had troubles " i think they all are on this site LOL ! " but that's to be expected with anything. I think some dealers are to blame for not being knowledgeable enough to fix even the simplest of things. The Vast majority are mostly trouble free. Ask a professional transporter "Vern" on this site who racks up hundreds of thousands of miles. And yes they can be hard to find and always seem to be in demand and command a high re-sale value.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 2014 which has just been incredible. No troubles except a couple of recalls that were handled easily. I like to talk to people that have one when i see them in a gas station, Grocery parking lot etc. I have yet to meet any in person that doesn't love there truck. Pulls like a Mule and i can get 30 Mpg on the road. Some have had troubles " i think they all are on this site LOL ! " but that's to be expected with anything. I think some dealers are to blame for not being knowledgeable enough to fix even the simplest of things. The Vast majority are mostly trouble free. Ask a professional transporter "Vern" on this site who racks up hundreds of thousands of miles. And yes they can be hard to find and always seem to be in demand and command a high re-sale value.
I hear of problems with early models. Anything specific to look for? I am very interested in one just want to make sure it can pull trailer fine and be semi reliable. Any issues with cooling pulling a trailer?

·
Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,349 Posts
Have a 2015 and it’s been a good truck.

My experience with asking people I see is 180 degree opposite of Mr. TED, the overwhelming majority of people I have talked to have had engine failures.

Buy a 2020 model year plus, more power and the engine failure issue seems to be cured.

·
Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
14,505 Posts
My 2014 was a good truck. Yet, it ran the transmission hot while towing and the engine also ran hot. Took 90,000 miles before I figured out the problem with the transmission and was able to fix that heat issue. There were other recalls and trouble but overall it was good for me. At 114K I decided that the future of the engine could be clouded and just happened to get a fair deal on a new 2019 Cummins.

No clue if the Ecodiesel is still running. Many like mine back then were also electronically deleted. That contributed to longevity but did not correct the weak design of the injector timing system, and the possibility of a major crankshaft failure. If you buy a 2019 or earlier you will be paying your money and taking your chances. Replacement engines are both expensive and hard to get. I say look for a 2020 or newer model. They are a different engine design and pretty darn good.

·
Registered
2016 Laramie Limited Crew Cab 4x4 with Deleted Air Suspension and GDE Hot Tune. 262,000 KM.
2,114 Posts
I pull 10k # only on occasion and have 267,000kms on my 2016. Bought a new 2000lb boat last weekend and towed home 300kms and averaged 9.8L per 100kms or 24 miles per US gallon. Better than alot of cars!!

·
Registered
2018 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew cab 4X4 3.0L Ecodiesel
28 Posts
Hey guys. I just joined here to get some info on the Ecodiesel. Looking to buy a used one in a few months. There hard to find and not sure if that’s because everybody loves there’s and keeps them or not many out there. I was hoping I could get some basic pros and cons of owning one vs a gas truck. I have a 97 7.3 dually so would be downsizing a bit but I don’t need the 1 ton. I have a 7500# 27’ TT that we tow a couple times a year but that’s it for heavy towing. I like the idea of the mpgs the rest of the time not towing. Any info would be great regarding years to avoid or if there worth it. Just want to know longevity also as I don’t want a truck that’s always in the shop. Thank you

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My 2014 has been pretty good truck. What are you going to do with it? They don’t like short trips and in the winter mine can take 20 miles to get to operating temperature but I drive a lot so it works for me.
Wife will use it a couple days a week to keep miles off her car. Her commute is over 20 miles one way. We have a 27’ 7500# TT that we use 2-3 times a year. That’s most of the towing it will do and good for road trips where we can get good fuel mileage

·
Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
14,505 Posts
Wife will use it a couple days a week to keep miles off her car. Her commute is over 20 miles one way. We have a 27’ 7500# TT that we use 2-3 times a year. That’s most of the towing it will do and good for road trips where we can get good fuel mileage
You load that TT up and my take is you are over the tow rating of a pre-2020 Ecodiesel. Now the 2020 or newer ones have a higher tow rating so that is probably a better option if you do tow that much. Do some research on that tow rating topic.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You load that TT up and my take is you are over the tow rating of a pre-2020 Ecodiesel. Now the 2020 or newer ones have a higher tow rating so that is probably a better option if you do tow that much. Do some research on that tow rating topic.
The trailer weight is gross weight. Dry weight is 5700# but that’s why I am doing research to see if it can handle it fine.

·
Registered
101 Posts
2-3 times a year I think you will be fine. I really don’t know if 20 miles would be worth one. Have you looked at the 3.6 V6? What do you think you will get on mileage. Mine has averaged 22mpg all it life. I guess if you drive it 60 with the wind pushing you and down hill you would get better but week after week mine has gotten 22mpg.

·
Super Moderator
4,024 Posts
With respects to the travel trailer all 1/2 ton Mfgrs recommend a weight distribution hitch when over 5k. Air bags are also relatively inexpensive and a great addition.

22 mpg is typical running around local. Highway unloaded running 65 mph would be high 20s for her commute.

Reactions: Fediej and MR. TED

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
I have a 2015 and 2020. Both trucks are great, but the 2020 has the best towing characteristics. A lot of it depends on your budget and what you can afford.

·
Registered
2015 Trademan 4x4, 3.92, 6.4' bed air lift 1000 bags, bilstien shocks, 34" nitto g2s, Unknown tune.
516 Posts
pre 2020 or 2020 and newer? Or both
My 2015 ecodiesel can pull 9,000 lbs... Id say any of them can pull 7500lbs. you may want to consider air bags that install inside the rear springs which help with the sag and handling a bit when loaded down. I have them, when they are not inflated they do not effect ride quality at all.

I remember when I was a kid my parents had one of those heavy 1970s 23ft camper trailers and my dad used to pull it with an old 78 f150 with a 400 under the hood...

·
Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,349 Posts
Like others o think any of them 2014 to current would be capable. Drone the bearing issues I would not consider the 2014-19 version.

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 Tradesman commercial duty, CC, ED, 6'4"
74 Posts
I have a 2017 Eco with only 34,000 highway miles. Bought it for cross-country towing, but haven't towed a single item. Dealer serviced, all bulletins/recalls up to does. Replacement EGM installed. send me email at [email protected] if you want to see more.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts