RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,061 Posts
With respects to the travel trailer all 1/2 ton Mfgrs recommend a weight distribution hitch when over 5k. Air bags are also relatively inexpensive and a great addition.

22 mpg is typical running around local. Highway unloaded running 65 mph would be high 20s for her commute.

Reactions: Fediej and MR. TED

·
Super Moderator
4,061 Posts
Their may be something I am missing. But the way I see it is a sway bar is for body sway or lean when cornering. Having nothing to do with trailer sway going down the highway. Weight distribution between steer & drive axle makes the truck steady to best withstand or resist trailer sway. Proper tongue weight helps greatly. After that a WDH with sway control resists sway before its even allowed to start. Additional electronics such as alternating brakes are an after the fact. A dually further makes the truck steady in that it has more rubber and a wider stance plus more weight plus stiffer suspension. Cooling issues are managed by simply keeping sustained rpms at or below 3k when the truck is really being taxed.

"According GDE, "the main bearing issues is partially design weaknesses and assembly tolerance stack-ups."" I subscribe to that. "You either get a good engine or you get a bad engine." I don't subscribe to that. I believe they are all bad or rather could be and now in the new gen are better with respects to the bearings. The reasons some fail early and some live a lets say full life is likely in duty cycle or use and maintenance including getting an actual and appropriate diesel oil. IMO Putt around at as low an rpm and high a gear as possible all the time not good. No oil pressure heavy load possible crank harmonic. Use generic bulk oil made for a gas 4 cylinder not good. Never let the oil get run a long time at full operating temps in order to evaporate water and unburnt diesel not good. Again just IMO.

·
Super Moderator
4,061 Posts
I run 10k oil changes no issues with T6. 875,000 miles over 3 engines never spit a bearing. Pre government intervention GDE. Like Hydrex EGR cooler removed and placed in the proper receptacle. I also regularly run long hours at full operating temps which evaporate moisture and fuel that get into the oil. Also I try not to run much bio.

"The 2020+ engines are not as hard on TBN, which tells me the low pressure EGR is a gamechanger." This is good to know.

Reactions: keiths487vs

·
Super Moderator
4,061 Posts
What is the dry weight of your trailer?

·
Super Moderator
4,061 Posts
Do propane batteries minimal water for travel basic supplies your maybe 7k. Can’t say it better than Fediej did. 👍

Reactions: keiths487too

·
Super Moderator
4,061 Posts
The maintenance cost isn't much different but you do have to tow or at least drive a lot of miles to pay for getting the upgrade to the diesel. Best of luck on your truck shopping.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts