RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2015 CC Laramie (3.92), DPF Delete, EGR Stage, MRTuning Stage 2, Timbren bump stops, Straight Pipe
314 Posts
That is over the limit for my 21 ED with the 3.21 rearend. I assume the higher ratios can handle more because some models top out over 10k.
Such a useless gear ratio IMO. 3.55 and 3.92 should be only options. 3.22 is for highway and no towing which defeats purpose of buying a diesel.

·
Registered
2015 CC Laramie (3.92), DPF Delete, EGR Stage, MRTuning Stage 2, Timbren bump stops, Straight Pipe
314 Posts
Not for the vast majority of 1500 owners who dont actually haul or tow with them..Some folks believe a diesel in a 1500 defeats the purpose too but not everyone nor their use of their truck is the same. 35" tires also changes the gear ratio to weaker ratio and kills power and on road capability yet look how many do that just for cosmetic reasons alone.

3.21 gears get better mpg, I bet those folks are really appreciating those 3.21 gears right now
I would doubt the milage between a 3.55 and 3.21 is that much difference given the 8speeds we get. If someone is that after MPG I would suggest a VW diesel car. They get 35MPG+.

·
Registered
314 Posts
but why when you can get up to 34mpg from a truck and still be able to have use of a truck with a capabilities of other 1/2 ton trucks? you dont need to have the limited mentality that only cars can be considered for more economical fuel mileage. thats whart the guys on the classic car and hot rod forums do too yet some are making crazy power with far better mileage than others and it does factor in to the enjoyment of the vehicle as well as pocketbook. without the fantastic mlieage of the ecodiesel I personally would be wondering why I would want the added expenses fear of failure of the engine since a hemi would fit the 1500 bill just fine otherwise too.

And yes the gears still make a difference thanks to the software tuning of these trucks.. My truck wont even go into 8th now unless im doing at least 65 and it takes a light touch or fethering the gas to get it to shift like it did before with smaller tires (which equals a higher gear ratio) before it would shift into 8th at much lower speeds further increasing the mpg.
It's a diesel truck. They are designed to be worked, not to be used as a grocery getter.
but why when you can get up to 34mpg from a truck and still be able to have use of a truck with a capabilities of other 1/2 ton trucks? you dont need to have the limited mentality that only cars can be considered for more economical fuel mileage. thats whart the guys on the classic car and hot rod forums do too yet some are making crazy power with far better mileage than others and it does factor in to the enjoyment of the vehicle as well as pocketbook. without the fantastic mlieage of the ecodiesel I personally would be wondering why I would want the added expenses fear of failure of the engine since a hemi would fit the 1500 bill just fine otherwise too.

And yes the gears still make a difference thanks to the software tuning of these trucks.. My truck wont even go into 8th now unless im doing at least 65 and it takes a light touch or feathering the gas to get it to shift like it did before with smaller tires (which equals a higher gear ratio) before it would shift into 8th at much lower speeds further increasing the mpg.

again I used very light 4ply 34" tires which weigh about 10 lbs more with the heavier rim than what I had and due to just that, wind resistance and the gear ratio change I went from 22-23mpg overall to 18 and 34 highway to 26-27 (in 8th gear). and I have the more forgiving 3.92 gears for this!
It just defeats the entire purpose of the diesel motor altogether. If you are 95% highway driving just buy a hemi. They get great mileage not towing. If you want to be able to tow, get good mileage and dependability you get a diesel.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts