RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
2015 CC Laramie (3.92), DPF Delete, EGR Stage, MRTuning Stage 2, Timbren bump stops, Straight Pipe
314 Posts
That is over the limit for my 21 ED with the 3.21 rearend. I assume the higher ratios can handle more because some models top out over 10k.
Such a useless gear ratio IMO. 3.55 and 3.92 should be only options. 3.22 is for highway and no towing which defeats purpose of buying a diesel.

·
Registered
2015 Trademan 4x4, 3.92, 6.4' bed air lift 1000 bags, bilstien shocks, 34" nitto g2s, Unknown tune.
589 Posts
Such a useless gear ratio IMO. 3.55 and 3.92 should be only options. 3.22 is for highway and no towing which defeats purpose of buying a diesel.
Not for the vast majority of 1500 owners who dont actually haul or tow with them..Some folks believe a diesel in a 1500 defeats the purpose too but not everyone nor their use of their truck is the same. 35" tires also changes the gear ratio to weaker ratio and kills power and on road capability yet look how many do that just for cosmetic reasons alone.

3.21 gears get better mpg, I bet those folks are really appreciating those 3.21 gears right now

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Not for the vast majority of 1500 owners who dont actually haul or tow with them..Some folks believe a diesel in a 1500 defeats the purpose too but not everyone nor their use of their truck is the same.

3.21 gears get better mpg, I bet those folks are really appreciating those 3.21 gears right now
This is true.

From what I've been told, the 2020+ trucks with 3.22 gears are very good tow rigs for their rated capacities.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Hi: rustydusty1717... I bought a 2 yr. old in 2018. Got 3:55's w/ tow pkg., as the truck was used to tow a contractors trailer. I get great mileage towing but a lot higher maintenance costs too.
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
2015 Trademan 4x4, 3.92, 6.4' bed air lift 1000 bags, bilstien shocks, 34" nitto g2s, Unknown tune.
589 Posts
Hi: rustydusty1717... I bought a 2 yr. old in 2018. Got 3:55's w/ tow pkg., as the truck was used to tow a contractors trailer. I get great mileage towing but a lot higher maintenance costs too.
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie. View attachment 92194
My 2015 trademan was also used by a contractor who had a rack mounted to the back at one point. dings on the sides of the bed point to this as well... It was also lowered 2/4" from stock and got crazy 34mpg on highway trips with 3.92 gears and 31.5" AT tires. ive yet to do much towing but I haul 1000-1200lb pallets of brewers grain about once a month for my brewpub and It handles it well. I really regret the 2" lift I put in it with 34" tires as that 34mpg highway mileage dropped to like 27mpg when the wind is blowing right. Some day I will learn.

·
Registered
2015 CC Laramie (3.92), DPF Delete, EGR Stage, MRTuning Stage 2, Timbren bump stops, Straight Pipe
314 Posts
Not for the vast majority of 1500 owners who dont actually haul or tow with them..Some folks believe a diesel in a 1500 defeats the purpose too but not everyone nor their use of their truck is the same. 35" tires also changes the gear ratio to weaker ratio and kills power and on road capability yet look how many do that just for cosmetic reasons alone.

I would doubt the milage between a 3.55 and 3.21 is that much difference given the 8speeds we get. If someone is that after MPG I would suggest a VW diesel car. They get 35MPG+.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I would doubt the milage between a 3.55 and 3.21 is that much difference given the 8speeds we get. If someone is that after MPG I would suggest a VW diesel car. They get 35MPG+.
but why when you can get up to 34mpg from a truck and still be able to have use of a truck with a capabilities of other 1/2 ton trucks? you dont need to have the limited mentality that only cars can be considered for more economical fuel mileage. thats whart the guys on the classic car and hot rod forums do too yet some are making crazy power with far better mileage than others and it does factor in to the enjoyment of the vehicle as well as pocketbook. without the fantastic mlieage of the ecodiesel I personally would be wondering why I would want the added expenses fear of failure of the engine since a hemi would fit the 1500 bill just fine otherwise too.

And yes the gears still make a difference thanks to the software tuning of these trucks.. My truck wont even go into 8th now unless im doing at least 65 and it takes a light touch or feathering the gas to get it to shift like it did before with smaller tires (which equals a higher gear ratio) before it would shift into 8th at much lower speeds further increasing the mpg.

again I used very light 4ply 34" tires which weigh about 10 lbs more with the heavier rim than what I had and due to just that, wind resistance and the gear ratio change I went from 22-23mpg overall to 18 and 34 highway to 26-27 (in 8th gear). and I have the more forgiving 3.92 gears for this!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey guys. I just joined here to get some info on the Ecodiesel. Looking to buy a used one in a few months. There hard to find and not sure if that’s because everybody loves there’s and keeps them or not many out there. I was hoping I could get some basic pros and cons of owning one vs a gas truck. I have a 97 7.3 dually so would be downsizing a bit but I don’t need the 1 ton. I have a 7500# 27’ TT that we tow a couple times a year but that’s it for heavy towing. I like the idea of the mpgs the rest of the time not towing. Any info would be great regarding years to avoid or if there worth it. Just want to know longevity also as I don’t want a truck that’s always in the shop. Thank you

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey guys. I just joined here to get some info on the Ecodiesel. Looking to buy a used one in a few months. There hard to find and not sure if that’s because everybody loves there’s and keeps them or not many out there. I was hoping I could get some basic pros and cons of owning one vs a gas truck. I have a 97 7.3 dually so would be downsizing a bit but I don’t need the 1 ton. I have a 7500# 27’ TT that we tow a couple times a year but that’s it for heavy towing. I like the idea of the mpgs the rest of the time not towing. Any info would be great regarding years to avoid or if there worth it. Just want to know longevity also as I don’t want a truck that’s always in the shop. Thank you
I have a white 2015 Laramie with 77,000 miles. Just got back from a 2725 mile trip driving 75-80 miles per hr with lots-of puttering around in Virginia. It got 25 mpg overall. I’ve been doing a mile or 2 little trips all winter and the regen was getting more and more often. At first on this trip it was only getting 21 mpg on the dash, but at the end in Virginia it was registering 29.3 mpg. It has a GDE tune and just needs to be driven hard. I pull a single axle bass boat with it and it’ll get 15 mpg on pretty long trips. No problems so far, and I love the drive. I just have no need for a diesel while not using it properly. Im willing to sell it if you’re interested.

·
Registered
314 Posts
but why when you can get up to 34mpg from a truck and still be able to have use of a truck with a capabilities of other 1/2 ton trucks? you dont need to have the limited mentality that only cars can be considered for more economical fuel mileage. thats whart the guys on the classic car and hot rod forums do too yet some are making crazy power with far better mileage than others and it does factor in to the enjoyment of the vehicle as well as pocketbook. without the fantastic mlieage of the ecodiesel I personally would be wondering why I would want the added expenses fear of failure of the engine since a hemi would fit the 1500 bill just fine otherwise too.

And yes the gears still make a difference thanks to the software tuning of these trucks.. My truck wont even go into 8th now unless im doing at least 65 and it takes a light touch or fethering the gas to get it to shift like it did before with smaller tires (which equals a higher gear ratio) before it would shift into 8th at much lower speeds further increasing the mpg.
It's a diesel truck. They are designed to be worked, not to be used as a grocery getter.

And yes the gears still make a difference thanks to the software tuning of these trucks.. My truck wont even go into 8th now unless im doing at least 65 and it takes a light touch or feathering the gas to get it to shift like it did before with smaller tires (which equals a higher gear ratio) before it would shift into 8th at much lower speeds further increasing the mpg.

again I used very light 4ply 34" tires which weigh about 10 lbs more with the heavier rim than what I had and due to just that, wind resistance and the gear ratio change I went from 22-23mpg overall to 18 and 34 highway to 26-27 (in 8th gear). and I have the more forgiving 3.92 gears for this!
It just defeats the entire purpose of the diesel motor altogether. If you are 95% highway driving just buy a hemi. They get great mileage not towing. If you want to be able to tow, get good mileage and dependability you get a diesel.

·
Registered
589 Posts
It's a diesel truck. They are designed to be worked, not to be used as a grocery getter.

It just defeats the entire purpose of the diesel motor altogether. If you are 95% highway driving just buy a hemi. They get great mileage not towing. If you want to be able to tow, get good mileage and dependability you get a diesel.
Its really not though.. Much of the rest of the world has successfully used smaller baby diesel engines such as these designed primarily for mpg, in grocery getters for decades.. Dont forget the ecodiesel in our trucks was designed in part with Gm for use in a caddy and they are used in family wagons such as jeep Cherokees and other models as well as Maserati. Again this is a 1/2 ton regular joes truck not a heavy duty truck designed primarily for work.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
That's why the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel is very popular. It can be a daily commuter, grocery getter, and tow the boat/RV on the weekend. Mine is a daily driver, but I also use it as a workhorse and recreational tow rig.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
That's why the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel is very popular. It can be a daily commuter, grocery getter, and tow the boat/RV on the weekend. Mine is a daily driver, but I also use it as a workhorse and recreational tow rig.

That’s exactly what I’m looking for. Something that can do it all. I don’t tow all the time or crazy loads so no need for a 3/4 ton let alone the 1 ton dually I have. I just want to make sure these can tow 7500 fairly easy and not way overload it. I hear things about the grills being restrictive and a few other things. Can they tow fine without a tune? I’m in ca and it’s illegal to have those

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I have a white 2015 Laramie with 77,000 miles. Just got back from a 2725 mile trip driving 75-80 miles per hr with lots-of puttering around in Virginia. It got 25 mpg overall. I’ve been doing a mile or 2 little trips all winter and the regen was getting more and more often. At first on this trip it was only getting 21 mpg on the dash, but at the end in Virginia it was registering 29.3 mpg. It has a GDE tune and just needs to be driven hard. I pull a single axle bass boat with it and it’ll get 15 mpg on pretty long trips. No problems so far, and I love the drive. I just have no need for a diesel while not using it properly. Im willing to sell it if you’re interested.
Thank you but I’m trying to find something with fewer miles on it. Thinking about the 20 or newer if I can afford it. Anybody with knowledge comparing the two?

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I just want to make sure these can tow 7500 fairly easy and not way overload it. I hear things about the grills being restrictive and a few other things. Can they tow fine without a tune? I’m in ca and it’s illegal to have those
Cooling is only an issue with the 2014 - 2019 trucks. The 2020+ trucks do not have the cooling issue.

As far as the grille goes, it just depends on the trim level. The Big Horn has one of the most restrictive grilles. My truck was stock for the first 93,000 miles before I changed to the Honeycomb grille and switched to the GDE EPA Compliant Tune. I had the truck derate twice in stock form, both times climbing a long steep mountain pass towing the travel trailer. My 2015 has 3.55 gears, which is great for fuel economy, but not the best for towing.

When I ordered my 2020 EcoDiesel, I made sure I got the 3.92 gears. For reference, my 2015 with 3.55 gears can average 29 mpg on the highway whereas the 2020 with 3.92 gears averages about 27.5 mpg.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Thinking about the 20 or newer if I can afford it. Anybody with knowledge comparing the two?
As mentioned above, I have a 2015 and 2020. I love both trucks and have no plans to get rid of either one. The 2020+ trucks are still fairly new, so we haven't seen many high mileage 3rd gen EcoDiesels. Longterm durability and reliability are unknown at this time, but the platform appears to be reliable. The forum is very familiar with the issues surrounding the 2014 - 2019 2nd gen EcoDiesels. It really boils down to your budget.

The 2020 is the better tow rig (no cooling issues, more power, and higher towing capacity). If you decide to get a 2014 - 2019 EcoDiesel, I would encourage you to put away $100 - $200 per month for future repairs.

In stock form, your intake will gunk up eventually and will need to be replaced. Depending on how you drive the truck, your stock intake might last 300,000 miles or it might last 150,000 miles. The 5 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty is very nice, but that warranty is nearly gone on the 4th gen trucks. It's hard to believe that my 2020 is already two years old (only three years left of powertrain warranty).

·
Registered
589 Posts

The Ecodiesel are designed for flexibility and fuel economy including pulling the family camper and boat or landscaping trailer and daily driving around town basically anything the "light duty" half ton truck is designed for. This is why its such a small compact 3 liter engine package. fuel mileage and flexibility were the main marketing points.

AGAIN the ecodiesel was designed for daily commuters in europe, not designed for work trucks or even the half ton ram but was later "modified" by fca for use in the jeep and ram lineup. MUCH larger diesels like Cummins found in the actual 2500 + trucks designed to be work vehicles are more in line with your thought process.

And yeah even with the cam and lifter issues on the Hemis you will find a much smaller percentage on hemi trucks need engine replacements than the 2nd gen ecodiesel. statistically this ecodiesel has a very high failure rate. Even Vern is on his 3rd engine now so the norm of 500,000 miles out of a straight 6 diesel jut doesn not translate to the smaller v6 platform. same can be said for gas inline engines vs the V configuration setups. The ecodiesels are great engines at what they do when they dont fail...

·
Registered
589 Posts
Thank you but I’m trying to find something with fewer miles on it. Thinking about the 20 or newer if I can afford it. Anybody with knowledge comparing the two?
the 2020 and newer models do no appear (going by the lack of reports of main engine bearings and engine failures online) to have the weaknesses/faults on the 2nd gen and I would have much more confidence in buying one of those vs the earlier models but the price difference reflects that.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
the 2020 and newer models do no appear (going by the lack of reports of main engine bearings and engine failures online) to have the weaknesses/faults on the 2nd gen and I would have much more confidence in buying one of those vs the earlier models but the price difference reflects that.
Are the main bearing failures do to lack of good maintenance on these trucks? I’ve read a bunch on some other forums and some other people about not changing oil for 10000 plus miles and that can relate. I don’t believe in that long between oil changes on any vehicle

21 - 40 of 121 Posts