RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
61 - 80 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
I run 10k oil changes no issues with T6. 875,000 miles over 3 engines never spit a bearing. Pre government intervention GDE. Like Hydrex EGR cooler removed and placed in the proper receptacle. I also regularly run long hours at full operating temps which evaporate moisture and fuel that get into the oil. Also I try not to run much bio.

"The 2020+ engines are not as hard on TBN, which tells me the low pressure EGR is a gamechanger." This is good to know.
I am going to try to find a 2020 if it’s reasonably priced. They sound like they don’t have the issues the older ones do or the headaches

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I’m in cali so it’s gonna be hard to find one
I am going to try to find a 2020 if it’s reasonably priced. They sound like they don’t have the issues the older ones do or the headaches
You'd think after so many years, Ram might have gotten it figured out, kinda. You should drive a hemi with 3:21's as well, not bad economy unless you tow. Had one as a company truck. I still much preferred my Ecodiesel.

·
Premium Member
3,353 Posts
I am going to try to find a 2020 if it’s reasonably priced.
If you want to tow your 7,500 lb travel trailer that is 27' foot long, then you would be better off with the 2020+ EcoDiesel.

The good news is that used truck prices are SLOWLY coming down, however, interest rates are increasing. Do you know what options and trim level you want?

·
Premium Member
3,353 Posts
@biodiesel TBN was 5.1 last time checked.
My last UOA showed 4.91 TBN with 5,368 miles on the oil change interval, which is lower than your 5.1 TBN at 10,000 miles!

I added the AFE deep oil pan to increase capacity to 12 quarts. This should extend the life of the oil. This time I'll change the oil at 6,500 miles and resample.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
If you want to tow your 7,500 lb travel trailer that is 27' foot long, then you would be better off with the 2020+ EcoDiesel.

The good news is that used truck prices are SLOWLY coming down, however, interest rates are increasing. Do you know what options and trim level you want?
I would love a Laramie but think a big horn is more affordable and still is a nice interior. Gotta have 4x4 too. The 2020+ out here run about 45-60k and the pre 2020 run about 30-40k. Trying to make the extra 5-10k justifiable for a newer one with less problems

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I would love a Laramie but think a big horn is more affordable and still is a nice interior. Gotta have 4x4 too. The 2020+ out here run about 45-60k and the pre 2020 run about 30-40k. Trying to make the extra 5-10k justifiable for a newer one with less problems
Hi: Jordan1500... According to this forum... owning one of these eco diesels is a fate worse than death!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Premium Member
3,353 Posts
My 2015 is a fairly loaded Big Horn. It has the Mopar Katzkin leather seats, navigation, towing package, 4x4, limited slip, side steps, and chrome package. We are happy with it.

The Longhorn is my favorite trim package, but Ram doesn't give a lot of rebates/discounts for the Laramie, Longhorn, or Limited, so those tend to stay expensive even as a used truck.

You mentioned mountain driving. The 2014 - 2019 EcoDiesel runs hot when towing due to the intercooler partially blocking the radiator. The 2020+ trucks separated the radiator and intercooler for maximum air flow, plus they enlarged the grille opening. I haven't had any cooling issues with our 2020 EcoDiesel. We've towed through NM, AZ, CA, NV, and UT.

Your other option is to see if the economy takes a hit. If that happens, you'll see prices drop on new and used vehicles.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
My 2015 is a fairly loaded Big Horn. It has the Mopar Katzkin leather seats, navigation, towing package, 4x4, limited slip, side steps, and chrome package. We are happy with it.

The Longhorn is my favorite trim package, but Ram doesn't give a lot of rebates/discounts for the Laramie, Longhorn, or Limited, so those tend to stay expensive even as a used truck.

You mentioned mountain driving. The 2014 - 2019 EcoDiesel runs hot when towing due to the intercooler partially blocking the radiator. The 2020+ trucks separated the radiator and intercooler for maximum air flow, plus they enlarged the grille opening. I haven't had any cooling issues with our 2020 EcoDiesel. We've towed through NM, AZ, CA, NV, and UT.

Your other option is to see if the economy takes a hit. If that happens, you'll see prices drop on new and used vehicles.
Yes we live where there are mountains and like to travel where there are mountains. If we lived in a flat area it would probobly be fine but that might be a deal breaker for a pre 2020. We only tow 2-3 times a year but don’t want to deal with overheating. My 7.3 has never even got hot once in the 13 years I’ve owned it so would like to keep that running with the new truck

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
I’m also wondering if a v8 would be just as effective or better for towing the trailer a couple times a year? Just trying to figure out options. I’ve been reading on some other forums about The Ecodiesel and multiple engine replacements and being on back order and not sure that is something I want to deal with.

·
Premium Member
3,353 Posts
I’m also wondering if a v8 would be just as effective or better for towing the trailer a couple times a year? Just trying to figure out options. I’ve been reading on some other forums about The Ecodiesel and multiple engine replacements and being on back order and not sure that is something I want to deal with.
There's no right or wrong answer. It really boils down to what you prefer to drive and what you're willing to tolerate. You've already concluded that the 2020+ EcoDiesel would be better for your towing needs. The 2020+ engines don't have the same issues as the previous generation engine, therefore that should take care of some of your concerns.

I'm more of an optimist than a pessimist, which is why I decided to keep our 2015 EcoDiesel. Instead of hyperventilating over the 10% - 15% failure rate in the 2014 - 2019 engines, I tend to focus more on the 85% - 90% of engines that don't fail.

·
Premium Member
3,353 Posts
I just use AMSoil.
Amsoil is a good oil. I'll be switching the 2020 to Amsoil as soon as I run out of Pennzoil. For now, I think I'll stick with Rotella T6 for the 2015. I may consider switching to Amsoil if Rotella continues to be difficult to source. I really don't put enough miles on my truck(s) to benefit from Amsoil, but then again, I would probably feel better about extending my drain intervals if I were running Amsoil.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
There's no right or wrong answer. It really boils down to what you prefer to drive and what you're willing to tolerate. You've already concluded that the 2020+ EcoDiesel would be better for your towing needs. The 2020+ engines don't have the same issues as the previous generation engine, therefore that should take care of some of your concerns.

I'm more of an optimist than a pessimist, which is why I decided to keep our 2015 EcoDiesel. Instead of hyperventilating over the 10% - 15% failure rate in the 2014 - 2019 engines, I tend to focus more on the 85% - 90% of engines that don't fail.
Yes I like the idea of the 2020+. I’m just trying to do my research on all trucks to see what would be best. My main concern is towing since I don’t want any issues in that department. We only tow a couple times a year so it’s not a huge dealbreaker as far as what kind of truck. Any tips on what to look for on used Ecodiesels? I’ve found a few 2018-2019 with really low miles that look well kept but the engine is the priority

·
Premium Member
3,353 Posts
Any tips on what to look for on used Ecodiesels?
I really don't have any tips other than making sure the truck is 100% bone stock with good service records. You want as much warranty as you can get. Most costly problems will arise inside the 5-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty period, therefore age is just as important as miles. For example, a 2018 with 30,000 miles sounds like a great deal, but it only has 1 year of warranty left.

I budget $250 per month for future repairs. That's probably a little excessive, but that gives me peace of mind when my vehicles are outside of warranty. I've learned that a lot of people can afford the monthly payment, but they can't afford to maintain/repair the truck outside of warranty. I can't afford to keep buying new vehicles every 4 - 5 years, so I'm keeping my 2015 and 2020 for the next 20+ years.

Reactions: DrivingZiggy

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
I really don't have any tips other than making sure the truck is 100% bone stock with good service records. You want as much warranty as you can get. Most costly problems will arise inside the 5-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty period, therefore age is just as important as miles. For example, a 2018 with 30,000 miles sounds like a great deal, but it only has 1 year of warranty left.

I budget $250 per month for future repairs. That's probably a little excessive, but that gives me peace of mind when my vehicles are outside of warranty. I've learned that a lot of people can afford the monthly payment, but they can't afford to maintain/repair the truck outside of warranty. I can't afford to keep buying new vehicles every 4 - 5 years, so I'm keeping my 2015 and 2020 for the next 20+ years.
Found a 2019 classic Laramie 4x4 with 23000 miles and by looking up the model and trim the max tow capacity based on that and the rear end ratio of 3.55 it can tow 7,770. My trailer gvw is 7600. Do you guys think that is too close to be pushing it? It only needs to tow a few weekends a year

·
Premium Member
3,353 Posts
Found a 2019 classic Laramie 4x4 with 23000 miles and by looking up the model and trim the max tow capacity based on that and the rear end ratio of 3.55 it can tow 7,770. My trailer gvw is 7600. Do you guys think that is too close to be pushing it? It only needs to tow a few weekends a year
Great question. In my opinion, you're pushing it. In stock form, you'll have to go really slow over mountain passes. If the 2019 Laramie grille is restrictive like earlier models, then you'll need to change out the front grille. The Laramie and Big Horn grilles are the most restrictive. My truck derated twice going over mountain passes towing this trailer:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Great question. In my opinion, you're pushing it. In stock form, you'll have to go really slow over mountain passes. If the 2019 Laramie grille is restrictive like earlier models, then you'll need to change out the front grille. The Laramie and Big Horn grilles are the most restrictive. My truck derated twice going over mountain passes towing this trailer:

Here is the grill on this truck
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive parking light Grille

·
Premium Member
3,353 Posts
Here is the grill on this truck
That's a new type of grille, so I'm unsure. It might be fine. You'll need to look closely at the grille slots. You don't want texturing behind the grille as seen in these photos:

I switched to the honeycomb grille. You can see how wide-open these holes are:

·
Super Moderator
4,024 Posts
What is the dry weight of your trailer?

61 - 80 of 115 Posts