RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
81 - 100 of 121 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,061 Posts
Do propane batteries minimal water for travel basic supplies your maybe 7k. Can’t say it better than Fediej did. 👍

Reactions: keiths487too

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Do you guys think an added sway bar to travel trailer and hitch are needed?
Without a question, you will need a weight distribution hitch. If you don't buy a truck with the factory air suspension, then I would highly recommend installing air assist springs.

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 4x4 Bighorn CC/SB EcoDiesel
139 Posts
Do you guys think an added sway bar to travel trailer and hitch are needed? 27’ long and want to make sure truck can handle the length. Never needed one with my dually
Conventional thinking says that a WDH should be used for any trailer over 5000 lbs. Some will say you need sway control and some will say you don't. But having that additional stability measure won't hurt any.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Conventional thinking says that a WDH should be used for any trailer over 5000 lbs. Some will say you need sway control and some will say you don't. But having that additional stability measure won't hurt any.
I do have a wdh already with my current truck. Just want to make sure I have everything needed for a half ton towing that trailer. Which air bags are best? And do you air up before hook up or after?

·
Registered
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel Big Horn Granite Crystal 4x4 CC 6'4" box
980 Posts
It all depend on the style of airbags you want to install. In coil bags are cheaper and have to be aired up before hooking up. Axle to frame bags are more expensive but can be aired up anytime. I have the axle to frame bags and am very happy with them.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
It all depend on the style of airbags you want to install. In coil bags are cheaper and have to be aired up before hooking up. Axle to frame bags are more expensive but can be aired up anytime. I have the axle to frame bags and am very happy with them.
Could you send me the link for those? Trying to get ideas for what I would prefer

·
Registered
2014 Lonestar EcoDiesel 4X4
2,001 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! Good luck with your search.
There are many factors that will determine your towing experience with an EcoD. Trailer weight is just one. Shape of the trailer and tongue weight are two big factors in a good towing experience.
What is the tongue weight of your trailer fully loaded ready to travel?
Have a look at my thread on my towing a 29' Airstream with my '14 EcoD.

We all have a different level of risk aversion. Some people would never tow a 7,000lb trailer with a 6,000lb truck. Others are just fine with that.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Reactions: Top

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
And do you air up before hook up or after?
With air assist spring mounts, you have the option for onboard air or you can manually add air. Someday, I may add onboard air, but for now, I run 7 - 10 PSI unloaded and adjust for my load manually. I don't have many side pictures of my truck with the air springs, but the dump trailer has the most tongue weight. I keep the 20V Dewalt tire inflator with me when we travel. The 20V pancake air compressor stays in the garage. It takes just a few seconds to adjust.

Reactions: DATA

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
I have two Equal-i-zer hitches. One is rated for 10,000 lbs. and the other is rated for 14,000 lbs. In high crosswinds, the Equal-i-zer hitch does the job extremely well. I haven't used any other brand of WDH, so I can't compare. I know and understand how the Equal-i-zer functions, so that's what I feel most comfortable with. It's a great way to transfer some weight back to the trailer tires and to the front steering, which actually saves you some payload. I wouldn't want to tow my travel trailer without it.

My tongue weight is fairly heavy since I have two 30lb propane bottles and two 12V batteries on the tongue, plus my trailer is a heavy 4 season camper (8.5" wide).

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
@Jordan1500, since you don't do a lot of towing, you probably don't want to invest in an auxiliary fuel tank. But that's something to consider. The 2020+ trucks were sold with an optional 33-gallon fuel tank. The 2014 - 2019 trucks have a smaller 26-gallon tank. From my experience, 26 gallons isn't enough fuel, especially for the places that we travel. We've carried 5-gallon jugs of diesel fuel for several years, but that's not very convenient. Finally, we installed an auxiliary fuel tank, which has been by far my favorite modification to the truck. Here's a picture of the tank we installed on the 2020. Due to a smaller payload, the 2015 is getting a 28-gallon tank.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
There are many factors that will determine your towing experience with an EcoD. Trailer weight is just one. Shape of the trailer and tongue weight are two big factors in a good towing experience.

We all have a different level of risk aversion. Some people would never tow a 7,000lb trailer with a 6,000lb truck. Others are just fine with that.
I don’t know the exact tongue weight but based on the gvw of the trailer Probobly around 700-800 roughly. I could be wrong but the trailer is 27-28’ and gvw is 7600. As long as the truck can handle it it’s not a problem. I tow something almost everyday at work

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·

I don’t know the exact tongue weight but based on the gvw of the trailer Probobly around 700-800 roughly. I could be wrong but the trailer is 27-28’ and gvw is 7600. As long as the truck can handle it it’s not a problem. I tow something almost everyday at work

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
@Jordan1500, since you don't do a lot of towing, you probably don't want to invest in an auxiliary fuel tank. But that's something to consider. The 2020+ trucks were sold with an optional 33-gallon fuel tank. The 2014 - 2019 trucks have a smaller 26-gallon tank. From my experience, 26 gallons isn't enough fuel, especially for the places that we travel. We've carried 5-gallon jugs of diesel fuel for several years, but that's not very convenient. Finally, we installed an auxiliary fuel tank, which has been by far my favorite modification to the truck. Here's a picture of the tank we installed on the 2020. Due to a smaller payload, the 2015 is getting a 28-gallon tank.

Ya I’ll probobly see how far a tank can go and how it works with where we go for travel and filling up. I could always get one to take out when not towing but we’ll see. Thanks for the tip

81 - 100 of 121 Posts