RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
101 - 120 of 121 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 Big Horn 4X4 Engine and Transmission tuned by no longer available (but truck runs good)
89 Posts
With air assist spring mounts, you have the option for onboard air or you can manually add air. Someday, I may add onboard air, but for now, I run 7 - 10 PSI unloaded and adjust for my load manually. I don't have many side pictures of my truck with the air springs, but the dump trailer has the most tongue weight. I keep the 20V Dewalt tire inflator with me when we travel. The 20V pancake air compressor stays in the garage. It takes just a few seconds to adjust.
Bio, you may have stated in another thread but I cannot remember, what are the spec's on your dump trailer, found a decent deal on a 10,5K unit, and considering it hard???? :unsure:

Reactions: biodiesel

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
I don’t know the exact tongue weight but based on the gvw of the trailer Probobly around 700-800 roughly.
I believe the hitch for the 2014 - 2019 EcoDiesel is rated for 1,150 pounds.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Bio, you may have stated in another thread but I cannot remember, what are the spec's on your dump trailer, found a decent deal on a 10,5K unit, and considering it hard???? :unsure:

Mine is a 6'x12' (10,000 GVWR). I love the size, however, the trailer itself weighs 3,930 lbs empty, so it's fairly heavy. That leaves me with 6,070 lbs of cargo. It's as big as I would go for a 1/2-ton truck. I just hauled off some fencing material to the transfer station with it.

Reactions: keiths487vs

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
I believe the hitch for the 2014 - 2019 EcoDiesel is rated for 1,150 pounds.
It should handle it fine cuz the hitch that came with my dually is only rated for 800 with a wdh so guessing my tongue isn’t heavier then that. The truck doesn’t sag at all though even without the wdh. Mainly got it for extra stability for longer drives. I just saw a gas Silverado with a trailer longer then mine so I think the eco will handle it just fine. Does any sort of level or lift affect these trucks? That white one I found looks to maybe be leveled but not sure

·
Registered
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel Big Horn Granite Crystal 4x4 CC 6'4" box
980 Posts
My Boss air bag system was a direct bolt-in no cutting system. For me in The Great White North they were the cheapest system for me. I have my Schrader valve at my license plate to balance my air.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Hey guys I found this truck at a local dealer. Haven’t gone to look or test drive but just wanted some input if you had any. It’s 1 owner with service records. Based on pics it’s clean truck. 36k miles. It’s a big horn so guessing the grill should be replaced. Look like a good eco?
3.55 rear end and has tow package
Wheel Sky Tire Car Land vehicle

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 4x4 Bighorn CC/SB EcoDiesel
139 Posts
Hey guys I found this truck at a local dealer. Haven’t gone to look or test drive but just wanted some input if you had any. It’s 1 owner with service records. Based on pics it’s clean truck. 36k miles. It’s a big horn so guessing the grill should be replaced. Look like a good eco?
3.55 rear end and has tow package
View attachment 92299
Go Drive it, If you like it, make a deal. If you don't or if anything seems off, walk away.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
For a Big Horn, maybe, depending on year, location and options. Nothing wrong with making the dealership work for the sale. Did anything else seem off about the truck?
Here is the link to look at the rest of the truck. Pretty clean by the pics and there is all the service records with it so they took care of it. Haven’t physically went down there yet but planning to. Not in a huge rush to get a truck yet

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
That truck looks to have a lift kit. Also, 3.55 gears puts your travel trailer over capacity, right?

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Ya I need to clarify the lift kit. I still want to test drive to get a feel for an ED. According to the vin look up it says it can tow about 7900-8000. Cutting it too close?
My 2015 Big Horn Quad Cab with 3.55 gears (4x4) is rated at 7,750 towing.

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 4x4 Bighorn CC/SB EcoDiesel
139 Posts
If not lifted, it at least has a leveling kit, aftermarket wheels and bed cap. All of which the dealership is trying to get extra money for. None of which you need to pay for. IMO Worth it for you to check out though.
When I first started looking it was difficult to find an EcoDiesel that checked the boxes and was available to test drive due to my schedule. After a few months of that I got to the point of just test driving anything that was available just to see if I'd like how one drove or if I needed to cross it off the list completely and settle for a 3.5L EcoBoost.

·
Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
14,654 Posts
Just remember, that is a 2018 so it has the older motor in it.

I remember paying $32K NEW for my 2014 4 x 4. Sold it for just $16K almost 3 years ago with 115K miles on it. Mint truck but the older engine design. Just wondering how much a new Ecodiesel can be had for today. Paying $40K plus all taxes and fees for the old motor model with about 39K miles on it is a lot to me. Would look to see just what a new one can be had for.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
Just remember, that is a 2018 so it has the older motor in it.

I remember paying $32K NEW for my 2014 4 x 4. Sold it for just $16K almost 3 years ago with 115K miles on it. Mint truck but the older engine design. Just wondering how much a new Ecodiesel can be had for today. Paying $40K plus all taxes and fees for the old motor model with about 39K miles on it is a lot to me. Would look to see just what a new one can be had for.
Used 2020+ which there are a few have been nothing less then 50k. Unless there 2 wheel drive. I found a 2019 Laramie classic for same price but has 72000 miles but has 3.92 rear end. Just don’t want to pay that much for that many miles. I’m not in a rush so I can wait just would like to find one soon. I am definitely going to at least test drive so I know if I like them or not

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
Hey guys so I’ve been looking around and doing research weighing my options when it comes to a truck. I’ve ultimately decided my best route is going to be with a hemi. The couple times a year that I tow the fuel mileage isn’t worth the maintenance and fuel advantages of the diesel. Diesel has been about .75- $1.00 more the gas in our area so the trade off isn’t worth it. Thank you guys for all your help and if anybody has any info on the hemis I would appreciate it

·
Super Moderator
4,061 Posts
The maintenance cost isn't much different but you do have to tow or at least drive a lot of miles to pay for getting the upgrade to the diesel. Best of luck on your truck shopping.

101 - 120 of 121 Posts