RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Looking at buying a 1500 Eco diesel Laramie Limited, four wheel drive, Crew Cab with 392.0 rear end gears, four point air suspension and a bunch of other good stuff on the inside. Plan on using it to tow a 30 foot travel trailer that weights 7,000 pounds loaded. From what I have been reading on this forum the 1500 should be able to handle my trailer with no real problem.

Any suggestions on anything else that would be good to have on the truck for towing?

Thanks,
Craig

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
buy a 2500 Cummins.

If you are planning on having all the "Goodies" in the truck.... and you are planning on towing +7000 Lbs regularly... just get a bigger truck to handle the weight.

With that said... yes... it should tow it... but why beat up a 1/2 ton if you tow that much weight regularly?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
If only occasionally(Ie. Summer time) the 1500 will be fine, (make sure you get the tow package!) tony is right if you plan on towing all the time I would just grab a 2500....(ie.daily towing)

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
First off welcome to the forum Craig. Given its a travel trailer, I doubt you'll be towing daily, so the 1500 will be fine, and more comfortable when your not towing. But keep in mind what Doc mentioned above. The more options you add, the lower the useful load capacities become. Does your 7,000 pounds fully loaded include the people and gear inside the truck, or just the trailer. If just the trailer, you'll be close to the suggested limits from the factory. Though it's well known the trucks today can generally handle a bit more, occasionally, and still be fine.

I'd consider the anti spin rear diff, the two package, or if you skip that package, at least get the trailer brake controller as the stand alone option. :)

Duane

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I am pretty much in the same boat. I pull a TT about 5-7 times a year and the rest would be commuting and recreation. My Jayco is a 29BHS with a dry weight of 5500lbs. I don't believe the 2500 is the truck for me although I'd love the cummins. The ecodiesel mileage seems very appealing for me. I just don't like the pricing of new trucks these days. Wow these things will soon be financed with mortgages!

What's up with the center console in everything? I seen a few threads here and other forums where a lot of people order 40/20/40 bench due to the same sentiment I have. Nice to fit 6 when needed and it's just less bulky in the middle!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Total weight towing will be between 7400 to 7800 loaded, that is people, cargo and trailer wet. Ideally we would like to tow once a month for short local trips 200 to 300 miles one way and a couple of big trips a year, maybe even a cross country trip in a year or two. Won't be towing the trailer every day, at least not until I hit the lottery but that is a whole different type of post. Mainly, just looking for a tow vehicle that can handle my trailer and get good MPG. I know, I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too. Looking at the RAM 1500 ECO not only because of the MPG ratings but really like the idea of the four point air ride and the ability to raise and lower the truck body. When I said all the goodies, I was talking about braking controller, anti spin rear diff, 20 inch tires and of course all the interior conveniences to keep the wife happy (ok I like all those controls too).
There just seems to be such a big difference in MPG between the 2500 3/4 ton truck and the 1500 ECO and the physical size between the two truck, I really the size of 1500.
Well back to the research board.
Thanks for the comments,
Craig

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Ya this truck is perfect for you! Order one!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wife is online now (her computer) trying to build a 1500 ECO. Only change from the one at the dealer I been talking about is she building it with 2 wheel drive instead of 4WHD. Think we are going to go the dealer as the online build site doesn't seem to give all the options or we just aren't using it correctely and see about building one there with dealer help.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Goodluck!

·
Premium Member
13,980 Posts
Towing a travel trailer like yours is what it is for. I traded down from a 2500 to do it with my Eco. You may want to add some heavier springs or Timbren bumper stops on the rear to deal with tongue weight. Other than that - enjoy.

Order the factory brake controller. Tow mirrors are your decision also. I think they are a pain so I say just get a cheap pair of strap-on towing mirror you can take off when not towing.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
The elder statesman hit the nail on the head!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Our local dealer has a fully load 1500 ECO, the only two things it missing is the larger flip up tow mirrors and I would rather have 2WD instead of the 4WD. Can probably live without the tow mirrors but not sure if it is a good idea to have the 4WD which take 500 pounds from the total tow weight (8950 down to 8450).
Thanks for all the suggestion given from everyone,
Craig N6TNK

·
Registered
121 Posts
Our local dealer has a fully load 1500 ECO, the only two things it missing is the larger flip up tow mirrors and I would rather have 2WD instead of the 4WD. Can probably live without the tow mirrors but not sure if it is a good idea to have the 4WD which take 500 pounds from the total tow weight (8950 down to 8450).
Thanks for all the suggestion given from everyone,
Craig N6TNK
I think I would actually want the 4WD (able to go more places) since you are not going to haul over 7000 lbs. I'd go and see what type of deal they are willing to do for you.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I think I would actually want the 4WD (able to go more places) since you are not going to haul over 7000 lbs. I'd go and see what type of deal they are willing to do for you.
Heck.... sometimes to just get your trailer rolling from a muddy or hilly camp spot would merit having 4wd.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I did it, bought a 1500 ECO Laramie, the 4wd one I posted about at the start of this thread. Now to see how the MPG is and how well it will tow my trailer.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Congrats man! Post a few pics!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts