RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at possible picking up a 2015 1500 EcoDiesel with 96K miles on it, and this might happen today. They are asking only $23K. Anything I should be looking out for? I will be bringing my son with me as he is a mechanic, just not a diesel mechanic. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
408 Posts
What trim level? If its limited or Laramie, that price may be worth it, but if its not you can probably find it cheaper. Of course where you are located will effect the price. In Utah, they are more than other places for ecodiesels.

Check coolant level, make sure its not low at all. If it is, it still may be worth getting, but plan on getting the EGR recall done. Ask if its been tuned before and what company if it has.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I just bought 2015 right before the Covid mess 2015 with 51000 for 19800 plus taxes
What trim? Makes a huge difference. A Limited is $20-$25k more new than a Tradesmen....

·
Registered
772 Posts
Unless it is very highly optioned I would not bite at that price. Look at and consider a new 2019 Classic. They are selling at give away prices and 0% interest.

If you have to buy used, look for one with some warranty left on it. The one you are interested in is at the end of its warranty period. My advice is to consider another ED with warranty, lower miles, and lower price.

·
Registered
2017 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel 4x4 Quad Cab 3.55 Gears
939 Posts
I agree with the crowd here, not such a good deal IMHO. That is a lot of miles, and a lot of unknowns. Such as, is it tuned? How was it used? Lots of towing? Good. Grocery getter? Very bad. Has the AEM been done? The EGR cooler? If no recall work was done, that alone can give you some warranty. But at 100k miles, especially without a tune, without an extended warranty, the possibility of an engine replacement is high. And costly.

If you shop around, you most likely can buy a brand new 2019 classic ED in the low $30k,s, but you might have to travel. A no interest loan would be nice too. The Hemi's are priced nice too. With new, you know what you got right off the bat.

I bought my ED, a 2017, right after the EPA released them for sale after months of hold up, they had piles of these trucks laying around. My initial price was $28.9k, OTD price was $30k, a 4x4 Tradesman. I did have to travel far to get it, and drove it back to Alaska. I recall being amazed upon filling it up in Prince George, BC, and the lie-o-meter said I had 800 miles of range. It was still a hell of a deal for a brand new diesel pickup truck. Now you got this covid-19 messing with sales, take advantage of it.

Going new, tuned up, so far I'm having great luck with mine. But I go to painful lengths in the winter to get this thing hot, usually I need to go out on the freeway now and then when it's below zero F, if I want to see 204F.

I also tow often, more then not. Out of 36,000 miles, 20,000 miles are towing. My last oil report from last fall,7406 miles on the oil, over half of those miles were towing out RV, the report was pristine. Blackstone commented that they thought I did a lot of easy freeway miles. Well the freeway miles part was right, but with an RV behind me. A very happy oil report!

When you read about Verndiesel and his Ecodiesel at over 600,000 miles with two engines, and his job of towing RV TT cross country, some things are self evident. And that is this, these trucks like to work. They like to get hot. And with a tune, the engine oil still has that opalescence look to it even at 7400 miles. And with all of the above, reliability.

Without knowing the background of the previous owner, you are taking a big chance. It might be ok, or it might be not. Pulling the diffuser tube would be a quick way to see what's going on inside. I would insist.

With that, the price seems a bit high, and knowing what I know now from this forum, that is a lot of miles of unknown use and that is to be very, very wary of.

I would add I like my truck very much. It runs top notch, tows like nothing is behind me. Tuned up and towing and hot, the three necessary things this truck needs for long lasting life.

Best of luck on whatever you purchase.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Just a data point, I just got a trade in offer on my 2015 Laramie with 52k miles and spotless of 22k. Covid is driving down prices because of the glut

Reactions: MR. TED

·
Registered
13,517 Posts
Gwilling has yet to come back but only one day so ...

Heck, I bought mine new for $32K. Used it 114,000 miles and got a realistic $18K for it as it showed something like 24K in trade value against MARP. Granted I had a full cap and other neat additions but tuned and running perfectly was the big thing.

To buy a "pig in a poke" without more knowledge of history, tune and service at such a high price is flirting with issues related to future service and possible warranty. Might be a good deal if you know more. Much more.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just a data point, I just got a trade in offer on my 2015 Laramie with 52k miles and spotless of 22k. Covid is driving down prices because of the glut
Just another data point, I offloaded my 2015 with 87k miles on it a few weeks ago. It was the Outdoorsman, and had a dented rear bumper a ding in the rear corner from where they bumper hit it, and when the truck was a year old, it had most of the entire right side of the bode replaced due to a run in with a light pole. They gave me $17k for it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just bought my nicely upgraded ‘15 Tradesman ED 4x4 Crew Cab with 58k miles on it for $23k pre-COVID for work. I knew about the VB1 recall and felt I was getting a fair deal at the time. Now I wish I would’ve waited to get a better price. I think you can do better or newer for the money. As a side note, it turned out my truck had received a fresh new motor 600 miles prior to my buying it off the dealer lot, so I’m a little happier about my purchase.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am looking at possible picking up a 2015 1500 EcoDiesel with 96K miles on it, and this might happen today. They are asking only $23K. Anything I should be looking out for? I will be bringing my son with me as he is a mechanic, just not a diesel mechanic. Thanks in advance
Be forewarned, they have a serious problem with the EGR cooler. I bought one last June, it had less than 90,000 miles on it and four days later, on my way to North Carolina, pulling my boat, I ran into trouble. First was a check engine light, meaning I needed to stop and have the code run (after all it was a new truck to me) but just as I was getting to the next exit (Beckley, WV service area) it went into limp mode then the motor died. I coasted down the ramp and over the hill, only to discover that I had no brakes but the trailer brakes. As I was coasting into the parking lot, another pick up pulled up beside me frantically gesturing; I ran the passenger window down only to be told that I needed to get out of my truck, “You’re on fire!” Just then I stopped and the whole front end became engulfed in smoke, then flames. I finally got a recall notice six months later; when I contacted “Ram Cares”, they told me that, since I no longer owned the truck, they didn’t really care.

Personally? I wouldn’t even park next to one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I opted to not get it. it was an Outdoorsman with every option they could get their hands on. Electronic folding towing mirrors, RA4, back flip bed cover, sliding rear window with defroster. This truck was fully loaded for an outdoorsman, hell it even had the Alpine, which I could not care less about as the stereo equipment outside of the radio would be going bye bye. I am just going to hang onto my 5.7L Hemi for a while longer.

·
Registered
2019 RAM 1500 Tradesman 4X2 EcoDiesel
30 Posts
I bought my ED, a 2017, right after the EPA released them for sale after months of hold up, they had piles of these trucks laying around. My initial price was $28.9k, OTD price was $30k, a 4x4 Tradesman. I did have to travel far to get it, and drove it back to Alaska. I recall being amazed upon filling it up in Prince George, BC, and the lie-o-meter said I had 800 miles of range. It was still a hell of a deal for a brand new diesel pickup truck. Now you got this covid-19 messing with sales, take advantage of it.
Sad to think you could not drive one back to Alaska at the moment. We were planning to leave yesterday for a two month tow to Alaska, but that's not going to happen. (Search "We can't go on the road again" or Telemark22 channel on YouTube for more on that story.)

·
Registered
2017 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel 4x4 Quad Cab 3.55 Gears
939 Posts
Sad to think you could not drive one back to Alaska at the moment. We were planning to leave yesterday for a two month tow to Alaska, but that's not going to happen. (Search "We can't go on the road again" or Telemark22 channel on YouTube for more on that story.)
I'll bet you are disappointed. It's nice up here in the summer.

That goes both ways, I hope this is over around October. We would like to winter elsewhere.

Well sorry your trip is off this year, it's a great place in the summer.

Hope to see ya next time though.

·
Super Moderator
3,252 Posts
RichWoodward, Sorry to hear. Not you fault but too bad it hadn't gotten the warranted EGR cooler or EGR cooler delete. Wish the $3k would have been used to get an aftermarket tune & cooler or cooler delete then clean out the Map sensor and that all would have likely been averted. Again not your fault by any means and very unfortunate for you but I post for the benefit of other readers so that they can avert the potential of this happening to them.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I opted to not get it. it was an Outdoorsman with every option they could get their hands on. Electronic folding towing mirrors, RA4, back flip bed cover, sliding rear window with defroster. This truck was fully loaded for an outdoorsman, hell it even had the Alpine, which I could not care less about as the stereo equipment outside of the radio would be going bye bye. I am just going to hang onto my 5.7L Hemi for a while longer.
FYI, with Hertz filing for bankruptcy they have quite a few newer RAMs, but not sure if any are Ecodiesels.

·
Registered
920 Posts
FYI, with Hertz filing for bankruptcy they have quite a few newer RAMs, but not sure if any are Ecodiesels.
They sold off their Corvette fleet just before filing for protection. The rest will be sold by their creditors in the event........

1 - 20 of 20 Posts