RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for the last couple months I have been contemplating selling my 16 ecodiesel for a f150 with the 5.0. Test drove a 14 and a 15 and liked them but I feel like my interior on my ram and the trans are much nicer and the seats are much more comfortable. I have been so worried about my ecodiesel blowing up. Never had a vehicle longer than 2 years and I just hit it now. Time to pay it off and drive it for 15 years. Just gotta stop reading the engine failure threads lol. 2016 25k miles. GDE tunes 2k miles. 5w-40 rotella since 6k.

·
Registered
2018 2500 Laramie. CTD.
1,149 Posts
GDE. Keep it. Mileage alone over a 5.0 over say a decade of use is a huge number. Me, I won't GDE, but plan on running the 8yr 120k warranty to the end.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I’m hoping with GDE and the 5w-40 oil I hope it goes well. It really is a nice truck. Well 25k miles down and not one problem. I just wish we could really pinpoint the problem so maybe we could bullet proof it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am just now learning about our eco diesels, but care and maintenance (in my past) have always influenced the reliability of most vehicles. Mikeyd56, looks like you're doing it right, I need to learn about the 40 weight oil still. Heck, I had a cavalier z24 for 200,004 thousand miles and 10 years when I ran it under the side of that 18wheeler it was still running like a raped ape!! Looking forward to following you guys on these trucks and their performance. Are CAI's helpful? I've got a really bad craving to buy something for my truck(cheap).

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well with bullet proofing if it cost 2-3k to do it would it be worth it? I think it would be. Once I’m out of warranty I’ll probably delete it for simplicity.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Don't or shouldn't cold air intakes flow more air "volume" then stock? it, by itself, may not produce what people want but shouldn't it be a part of upgrades, like if you got a "tune" that might need to draw more "volume"?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don’t want a CAI but I’m thinking of removing my turbo baffling so I can hear it spool up more.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I will be honest I have a 14 eco. A buddy of mine had first a 13 Mustang GT 6 speed 5.0. Traded it for a 13 F150 5.0 loved it then traded that for a 15 2.7 ecoboost actually liked it more then 5.0 for the power then the old truck. But then drove my 14 eco after I got it. Really liked the power the transmission and yes it's not as fast but he could tell it was ready to yank down small trees compared to ether one of his trucks. So he would do the new power stroke F150. But doesn't want another truck for a while. Bit he likes the looks of the Ram compared to ford and how it rode. And more comfortable.

·
Registered
2017 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel 4x4 Quad Cab 3.55 Gears
1,022 Posts
Don't or shouldn't cold air intakes flow more air "volume" then stock? it, by itself, may not produce what people want but shouldn't it be a part of upgrades, like if you got a "tune" that might need to draw more "volume"?
What good is a "cold air intake" with a turbo charged engine anyway? Perhaps on a non-turbo, but at up to 32 psi of turbo boost, it's getting plenty of air.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Doing oil testing at every oil change might give you some peace of mind. Blackstone charges $30. If you plan on keeping 15 years, I'd try some rust preventative, at least if you live in the rust belt. I Fluid Filmed my last 2005 Ram, and got $10,500 trade in with 300,000 miles, because it was pristine.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I don’t want a CAI but I’m thinking of removing my turbo baffling so I can hear it spool up more.
I removed my baffling with the same thought. What I ended up with was a pronounced high pitched whistling sound (think of the sound a cracked open window makes when driving at highway speed) - it wasn't the turbo that got louder. I think removing the tube only creates a bunch of turbulence right before the air enters the turbo, and this is what I was hearing.

Admittedly, I too had the urge to spend money on something frivolous a while back and ended up calling Banks Engineering - I bought their Ram-Air filter assembly without the pre-oiled filter. Spent about $70 on a bright shiny red tube, and I get to continue using OEM air filters.

I make no claims on increase in performance and MPG. It does sound better than the stock intake tube without the baffle and looks very clean. I am seeing about a 1.5 - 2 mpg increase, but it could be because a number of factors:
  • Banks knows their stuff and the intake tube is pure magic! (no more air turbulence)
  • I started using Hot Shots EDT around the same time as the magic tube install.
  • COVID turned a good part of my commute from a slow crawl in traffic to a pleasant and brisk drive.
Would I purchase it knowing how it affected (or did not affect) my truck? Yeah, probably. It's relatively cheap and was a fun little project to do. I can always go back to stock relatively quickly and most of all I do enjoy the little increase in sound.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts