RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2016 RAM 1500 with the ECODiesel 3 weeks ago, so I have a lot to learn. This is my first diesel regular driver Truck. I was on my way to work and the truck started to overheat. I stopped let her cool down and drove the last 1.5 miles to work but temps sitting at 210-230~. I have look at the coolant bottle on the top of the engine and it is below the seam by a lot, but it was that way when I bought it and was supposedly checked out and at correct levels. I have driven it two weeks without incident. So I got some of the Yellow OEM fluid and added almost 1/2 gal to the reservoir. I drove it to work and back the next day and the temps stayed at 208 when it got up to temp. The next morning after that before I went to work, I checked it again to see the reservoir was down again. So I added some back in to get it up to bottom of COLD Fill Line or just above the seam. Get to work watching the temp and we are still at 203 to 208 but looked again at the reservoir and it is again down to the bottom 1/4" or so?

I checked the oil and I can not smell the antifreeze but at 2.5 gals I cant tell that dilution and the yellow color is to faint to see.

I have read here that a leaking EGR Cooler has been problems in the past, my big concern is it getting into the oil. Had a jeep engine destroy itself because of a stupid O ring failure and sucked in the coolant into the block.

What should I do at this point?

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Where the line connects to the over flow bottle is above the bottom of the bottle so there will always be some left in the bottle no matter what. You probably had the system low. When you filled the overflow bottle the system was still low, then the system filled and drained the bottle. Keep filling it and it should stop.

Hope you are under warranty yet. If so take it in, if there are no external leaks its almost for certain the EGR cooler. Check the front of the engine, seems like several have had leaking water pump seals as well.

Also the coolant isn't yellow, it should be purpleish.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I just bought a 2016 RAM 1500 with the ECODiesel 3 weeks ago, so I have a lot to learn. This is my first diesel regular driver Truck. I was on my way to work and the truck started to overheat. I stopped let her cool down and drove the last 1.5 miles to work but temps sitting at 210-230~. I have look at the coolant bottle on the top of the engine and it is below the seam by a lot, but it was that way when I bought it and was supposedly checked out and at correct levels. I have driven it two weeks without incident. So I got some of the Yellow OEM fluid and added almost 1/2 gal to the reservoir. I drove it to work and back the next day and the temps stayed at 208 when it got up to temp. The next morning after that before I went to work, I checked it again to see the reservoir was down again. So I added some back in to get it up to bottom of COLD Fill Line or just above the seam. Get to work watching the temp and we are still at 203 to 208 but looked again at the reservoir and it is again down to the bottom 1/4" or so?

I checked the oil and I can not smell the antifreeze but at 2.5 gals I cant tell that dilution and the yellow color is to faint to see.

I have read here that a leaking EGR Cooler has been problems in the past, my big concern is it getting into the oil. Had a jeep engine destroy itself because of a stupid O ring failure and sucked in the coolant into the block.

Cracked EGR cooler. If you have no puddles on the ground, its getting blown out your exhaust.

Also, what coolant did you use? There is no yellow OEM coolant. you can't use anything other than OAT or OAT compatible coolant or you will cause trouble.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I have a lots of questions to answer and one question of my own.
1. MAS answer: Yes sorry the "Yellow" is the Peak OEM Global Universal to add to any OAT Color antifreeze. According to PEAK site, the Correct Anti Freeze to Use is the OEM Orange for my year? They didn't have the Orange, but the Peak site said you could use this one also if just topping off. Also I am afraid to keep adding to the coolant in case it not going out the exhaust and IS going into the oil, which is another issue I read about?
2.Shaggn85 Answer: Look at the PEAK Site there is a OEM Global Yellow for OAT/Aluminum radiators setups and it is what they say works for the 2016 RAM with ECODiesel. Yes I am trying to figure out if it is a EGR Cooler issue, I see no puddles in the garage and I will look closely the front of the engine tonight.
3. RamblingMan: The Mopar site still shows that the Recall for the Emissions is not done yet. I have 125K on the clock, I dont think it will be covered by warranty anymore?

Great information Guys, Keep it coming. I do try to research as much as I can especially when there is a issue and am perfectly will to share if its helpful to anyone else.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Not trying to pile on but caution you that FCA gets really testy over warranty if they don't see their stuff in the coolant bottle.

·
Registered
13,920 Posts
$_57 by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr

$22 on Ebay. This is what you want.

Reading and getting bad vibes with your problem. Not dealing with the leakage right now but if that stuff you put in is not compatible with the real purple stuff, it could coagulate and cause gross issues of overheating. Fingers crossed on that for you. It DOES have the MS 12106 rating.

Since your truck has not had the AEM - GET IT NOW. After that is done you get a warranty extension on many components associated with your engine. Not sure if your undiscovered problem would be included but there are lots of things they cover that might be your issue. Get 'er done ASAP and hope.

Reactions: sourdo

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
If that jug has the MS 12106 number on it then it should be fine.

Keep the jug to show them.

My opinion, if you haven't taken it in for the emissions recall yet then do that and after it is complete use the warranty and take it in. Maybe just top off with distilled water, not sure if it will affect the aftertreatment parts like the dpf like coolant will.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Ditto to all the replies above. Just a thought, if the coolant was mixing with your oil you should see a rise in your oil level on your dipstick. Especially if you have gone through 2.5 gallons. I don't believe coolant in the oil has been an issue with these motors. Usually it is oil in the coolant.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Stuff I got from the dealer when my egr went bad was mopar brand but pink. If you have no visible leaks hopefully it's a egr cooler covered under extended AEM warranty. Good luck make sure it's full it was probably pretty empty to over heat.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,083 Posts
Stuff I got from the dealer when my egr went bad was mopar brand but pink.
Did the pink coolant state it was good for 5 years? They may have been HOAT coolant, you don't want to mix the two

·
Registered
4,664 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
4,664 Posts

the bottle does not go down all the way , at 1 inch from the bottom , the level drops in engine and rad ,
next is overheating , then head gasket will go ,
basic rule with ecodiesel , never let the coolant bottle ( called degas bottle) go lower than the seem ,
keep filling the bottle and hope it stabilises , but it already went down for a reason before you pruchased ,
that did not fix itself .
post # 23 :
https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum...t-leak-passes-pressure-test-2.html#post837121

if you have the EGR pressure tested by a tech , make sure they test it both cold , and then again with engine warm ,
failure is often revealed with only one of the test , passing the other .

the degas bottle has a tube at the bottom , it goes up an inch , image in mirror ,
the top of that tube is the lowest the bottle will go .

Attachments

1 - 20 of 47 Posts