RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 eco with 65000 miles on it and live in Wisconsin. Took a 100 mile trim yesterday and on the way home home I started to here a light knocking noise but with doing 80 and the wind noise it didn't seem to bad. When I got off the freeway and turned off the radio I was leaving from the stop light and it was alot louder. I am not a mechanic but am a little or some what mechanically inclined. this knocking sounds a lot "deeper" and louder in tone than a lifter and is definitely not an exhaust leak. It sounds like a rod but could you make it 90 miles if that is what it was? I called the dealer this morning and explained to them what I was hearing and asked if I should drive it in or get it towed. There reply was, is it low on oil? I replied no. They said just drive it in. I start to the dealer and the second set of lights I get to are red. I stop and all of a sudden the engine starts to labor and chug like it is running on one cylinder. The light turns green and I step on the pedal and it has zero effect. I could not get get the truck to go even 1mp. After about 300 yards the engine started "coughing" and then starts running like nothing happened (besides the knock still there). I do not believe in coincidences, so how the hell could that be related to this knock and what do you think the knock could be? Thanks for any reply. By the way, no engine lights but dealer said it shows several codes.

· Registered
283 Posts
What are the codes? It could be as simple as a stuck injector, or as scary as a rod bearing. If you were able to drive 90 miles to the dealer with the knocking noise, i would be surprised if it was a rod or main bearing. Did they check the oil and/or filter for metal shavings? Fingers crossed!

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Literally 30 seconds ago I got a call from the dealer! They ordered me a new engine. I asked if it was a rod and all they told me is "internal engine problem". I have seen so many complaints on people waiting for months to get there engine replaced? They told me they will have the engine in 3 days and I should have my truck back by the end of next week. I wonder will I get the gen 2 that was in there? I can not believe I made it back home!

· Registered
1,822 Posts
Fingers crossed, keep this in mind we know that has been an uptick in motor production as the product has been been in and out of stock with third party sellers this is obviously good news, that said you're in better shape than those from prior months. Sorry this happened to you but hopefully the delay will be minimal at best.

Reactions: keiths487too

· Registered
283 Posts
Literally 30 seconds ago I got a call from the dealer! They ordered me a new engine. I asked if it was a rod and all they told me is "internal engine problem". I have seen so many complaints on people waiting for months to get there engine replaced? They told me they will have the engine in 3 days and I should have my truck back by the end of next week. I wonder will I get the gen 2 that was in there? I can not believe I made it back home!
Wow, if they are able to pull that off, then this is a happy ending! Likely, you will get a refurbished Gen 2 engine.

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I am keeping my fingers crossed! I got a little worried after reading Valiant reply and called the dealer again to ask if it was a refurbished or new engine. They told me new "crate motor not refurbished. If you new me you would laugh because nothing and I mean nothing ever goes smooth for me. I will patiently wait and let everyone know. I am not pessimistic but cant believe there will not be some catch or glitch in this process lol.

· Registered
382 Posts
You will get the same Gen 2 engine. If what they say is all true, it seems to good to be true. That would be 1 of the most remarkable turnarounds for an eco engine replacement 👏

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I honestly do not believe it either. I will keep every posted. We will see. I took it in today 1/13/23. I do have to clarify one thing I said wrong. The second time I called to ask if it was new or refurbished. They said the new motor is on order and they will get it in 3 to 5 days( by the end of next week) and then when they get it would be less than a week to complete. Still seems to good to be true. The only other thing they said was I have to pay for a turbo hose that has a tear in it. Probably means they either destroy it when removing engine or think it needs replacing? Don't care everything else is under warranty.

· Registered
2016 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel 4x4 CC Laramie
1,062 Posts
If you want your new replacement engine to have a better chance of living longer then look into canadian tuners. You have a 2018 so can't be far away from running out of factory warranty and if you want to keep the truck then get the proper fix....

· Registered
1,822 Posts

· Registered
4,295 Posts
If you new me you would laugh because nothing and I mean nothing ever goes smooth for me.
Considering this is Friday the 13th, I would say things are starting to swing your way. ;)

The 5 year/100,000-mile Powertrain Warranty comes in handy, huh? Let's hope the new engine will last 300,000 miles!

· Registered
1,822 Posts
Bio, I saw it was Friday the 13th but didn't want to bring it up LOL! What could possibly go wrong. OH BOY!:rolleyes:
I'd buy a lotto ticket today if I were you........not only did you get to hit reset button on mileage but you WON a free 100k warranty. Congrats. 🤠

· Registered
4,295 Posts
I'd buy a lotto ticket today if I were you........not only did you get to hit reset button on mileage but you WON a free 100k warranty. Congrats. 🤠
How did he win a free 100,000-mile warranty? :unsure:

· Registered
4,295 Posts
Only if he pays at least some of the cost out of pocket, if all under warranty the no additional warranty.
That would be correct, hence the question. Let's assume the OP purchased the truck on July 4th of 2018. The new replacement engine would continue to be warrantied under the factory 5 year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty until July 4th of 2023 OR 35,000 miles, whichever comes first.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts