RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_4184.JPG

Every other vehicle I run sits around 24- 29 lt /100km so this Eco Diesel sitting at 8.5 lt/100 km is killer... that's around 27 mpg.

MB

·
Registered
273 Posts
That's what I'm hoping for as well ! Nice to see that Ram (with a VM Motori diesel) is truly leading the fuel economy for light duty pickups.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'm really excited to see what the next 3-4years has in store for the light, light truck market. With ford using small displacement turbos, GM trying to perfect direct injection and ram going to diesel. Innovation seems to be driving the auto market again. I have a feeling Toyota is designing a diesel hybrid concept in a bunker somewhere.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Being in the diesel industry I would have to say " small displacement diesel" is the future. Dodge has hit the nail on the head with this one, it will be interesting to see what the other OE's bring to the table. Keep in mind, although this new Dodge 1500 is a hit among owners it still has to prove itself over the long haul.

Sparks...... cool pics.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I am averaging 22.5 mpg after about 250 of mostly city driving. I took her out for a hwy. run and at 70 mph, it was showing 28. That will improve a bit when I get my tonneau cover added on Friday due to the lower wind resistance.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Will be curious to see if the tonneau improves your fuel economy. See the post a few days ago with the article from Consumer Reports that tested a Ram 1500 crew, with fuel flow meter, and saw fuel economy DROP by over one point. Meanwhile someone else posted the test by Myth Buster showing somewhat similar results. Both were scientific studies. When you think about it, the claims for savings we typical see are from companies selling product. People claim to see benefits, but having worked with statistics at work, one has to carefully design an experiment to trust results. I'm buying a cover for protection and looks, not fuel economy.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Will be curious to see if the tonneau improves your fuel economy. See the post a few days ago with the article from Consumer Reports that tested a Ram 1500 crew, with fuel flow meter, and saw fuel economy DROP by over one point. Meanwhile someone else posted the test by Myth Buster showing somewhat similar results. Both were scientific studies. When you think about it, the claims for savings we typical see are from companies selling product. People claim to see benefits, but having worked with statistics at work, one has to carefully design an experiment to trust results. I'm buying a cover for protection and looks, not fuel economy.
Thanks oilbelcher. I had never seen the stats.
I thought the fuel economy was for real. Too bad it's a myth. I will look at the Myth Buster results as I don't have a subscription to CS.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Weren't those test involving having the tailgate up versus down? I wonder if a tonneau cover would react differently.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Haven't seen the Consumer Reports post so I can't comment on it, but I can gaurantee you Mythbusters was not scientific. Mythbusters is entertainment and basic science. The Ram engineers claim increased fuel economy with a tonneau, a wind tunnel test some years back also showed better aerodynamics with a tonneau, less drag. Less drag equals improved fuel efficiency. According to the tests you can get a "slight" increase in fuel economy with a cover. It also depends on the weight of the cover. A hard top cover weighing 80 lbs will probably give you negative numbers where as a light soft cover will likely give you positive numbers.

Got a cached PDF on the wind tunnel tests, unfortunately it doesn't show the graphs. The actual web site seems to be no longer available.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:uP9lE7l1weQJ:www.trucktestdigest.com/PDFfiles/SEMATonneauStudy2007.pdf+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

·
Registered
693 Posts
Haven't seen the Consumer Reports post so I can't comment on it, but I can gaurantee you Mythbusters was not scientific. Mythbusters is entertainment and basic science. The Ram engineers claim increased fuel economy with a tonneau, a wind tunnel test some years back also showed better aerodynamics with a tonneau, less drag. Less drag equals improved fuel efficiency. According to the tests you can get a "slight" increase in fuel economy with a cover. It also depends on the weight of the cover. A hard top cover weighing 80 lbs will probably give you negative numbers where as a light soft cover will likely give you positive numbers.

Got a cached PDF on the wind tunnel tests, unfortunately it doesn't show the graphs. The actual web site seems to be no longer available.

www.trucktestdigest.com/PDFfiles/SEMATonneauStudy2007.pdf+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us]How Tonneau Covers Affect The Coefficient of Drag[/url]
Ramzaq has the right scoop here. IIRC tonneau covers varied from neutral mpg to slightly better. It was the soft covers that did best and the ones that sat a little "proud" of the bed that did worse.

Referring to Mythbusters as science is goofy.

·
Registered
216 Posts

How Tonneau Covers Affect The Coefficient of Drag
Here's a version with the graphs.

pdf warning... http://www.tc-ol.com/pdf/SEMA_Gas Savings.pdf

·
Registered
693 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
The nice thing about the Consumer Reports study was that they used fuel meters with a designed round trip experiment, tested with a Ram 1500, and looked at tailgate up/down, tonneau cover on/off and standard situation. Agree that there could be some theatrical creative liberties that make its way into myth busters, but not consumer reports. Can't believe any one study or experiment, but I would encourage reading the consumer reports study, and make your own decision as you compare with other claims showing opposite results. I'm very skeptical of an accessories company claiming fuel savings. Retrax claims 10% with is a ridiculous claim. It's probably a push, as adding 50+ pounds will offset a 0.5% savings from aerodynamics, as someone mentioned above. I treat company claims like the drug industry, politicians and the news industry... does one believe every claim made?

·
Registered
701 Posts
If can't read, here is their summary:

Consumer Reports:
"Does lowering a pickup truck tailgate improve fuel economy?
We test how the tailgate and tonneau cover impact gas mileage
Published: August 12, 2013 11:00 AM

Truck owners have long debated how to improve the aerodynamics of the cargo bed and if doing so was worth the effort. Conventional wisdom dictates that an empty bed with the tailgate up would capture air flow and the added drag would reduce fuel economy. To get to the bottom of this myth, we ran a series of tests with our 2013 Dodge Ram V8.

The truck was fitted with an inline fuel meter, just as we do for our routine fuel economy tests. We tested the Ram on the highway at 65 mph with the tailgate up, tailgate down, and with a factory soft tonneau cover. The tests were performed following our usual procedure for testing highway fuel economy, including making runs in both directions. (Learn how we test cars.)

We found that adding a tonneau cover or lowering the tailgate hurt fuel economy, rather than helped it.

With the tailgate up and no tonneau, we got 22.3 mpg. Dropping the tailgate decreased efficiency to 21.5 mpg. That 4-percent difference means that driving the Ram all year exclusively on the highway could cost the owner an extra 20 gallons of gasoline. (In reality, this big workhorse is likely to see a mix of driving and a variety of chores, limiting the potential penalty.)

We found that covering the bed with a soft tonneau cover was even more detrimental, dropping fuel economy to 21.4 mpg.

Given that even the latest pickup trucks have an insatiable appetite for gasoline, it is natural that owners will want to maximize their fuel economy. Unfortunately, these tricks proved to be ineffective.

Learn how to get the most mpg from your current vehicle based on findings from other tests.

—Eric Evarts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Here is article. Don't think you need subscription for this particular one:

Pickup Truck Tailgates | Fuel Economy - Consumer Reports News
The wind tunnel study is better because it's a more controlled environment. When one is looking at changes on the order of 0-5% you need a lot of accuracy in the analysis. A difference in wind speed or direction of 2% would completely throw the results off. No way you can drive up and down the road and control for wind to that degree of precision. Cruise control isn't going to give that degree of precision either. If you did 50 runs on the same stretch of road with the same cruise control settings the results would vary. There's always variance. A single variable not controlled to 0.1% and the results are crap. That's why it's so hard to set up a rigorous test of anything.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I've had my Laramie 4x4 crew for only a few days and have never been so happy with a new rig in my life.Everything works just as I'd hoped,except for the sat radio.A little weak on the reception compared to my 2012.Minor detail though compared to the diesel economy and power.I got the 3.92's w/20's and it's a perfect match for my roads.Even when it gets into 8th,@ 50mph it pulls along good at about 1400rpm's.On hills,it slides smoothly back into 7th un-noticed unless I watch the tach.I've been taking off a lot more agressive,and pushing it more then I normally will,purposely driving in extremely hilly areas just to aid the breaking in of the engine.I haven't been too concerned about getting good mpg yet.I now have 400 miles on it and the economy just keeps improving.Even with all this horseing around,I'm still showing 24.4 per gal and still climbing.All except 10 miles have been on 30-50 mph roads.The 10 on the highway were impressive too_Once I locked the cruise in @ 65,it went into 8th,rpm's were 1750 and it never downshifted,even up some real steep hills(for highway).This was with me and two other fat people too.Speed never droped a mile.Wow am I impressed.I really think I will get an easy 26+ all the time once I drive my normal way and the engine has a few more miles on it.My 12 QC Hemi w/3.55's ave. 16-18 driving easy and it weighed about 500lbs less.I love the way the tranny keeps the truck in a lower gear going up steep hills around 40mph.My 6 spd Hemi would upshift to 5th every time I'd let up even a little on the gas for a sharp corner,then lug until shifting back down to 4th.This 8 spd keeps me in 6th until I get to the top or let up enough to encourage it to upshift.I never have to use the gear selects to limit it.Love it all.Got to go now and drive somewhere.This Ram has me horned up to drive it all the time.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts