RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2014 Limited low beam was ok but not as good as my BMW. I did not want to get cheap ebay / cheap amazon HID kits or LED kits for 2 reasons; reliability and acehole brightness. The grille and headlight has to come out for bulb swaps. I didn't want to be on a trip and have a bulb go out. Second reason is I hate cars / people who have stupid bright low beams. I wish cops has lumen gauges like speed guns - rant over.

Slyvania is a legit name brand, not a ebay or amazon product. They are sold at the local parts store with Warranty. Price was $99.99 20$ rebate and I had a 10$ rewards credit. My final cost was 70$.

The 9006 bulb base fits in the 9012 socket after a slight but of file work. You can see this when comparing the two, or google for a example on what to cut.

They are listed for fog lights and can be used in the ram vertical fog lights. I took a gamble and assumed they would work in the low beam projector. The do work. No error codes. No trimming on the cover plate. The color is a nice subtle white. Not the stupid looking blue light color, but also not the super white like on the new Ford truck LEDs. Brightness is roughly the same maybe 5% improved.

Note that these are only 17 watt bulbs about 1.3 amps. They do not have or need a cooling fan. The ebay / amazon / china lights are as high as 35 watts and 2.1 amps. But those also are larger and need a cooling fan. I may try to select one step brighter in the low beam then replace the remaining bulb into the fog light location.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've now had a chance to drive at night for a few trips. For sure a 5% improvement or more. While driving on the highway next to newer cars that I know have LED lights, I have near same distance output.

The 2014 ECM occasionally throws a low beam out warning at start up. But its not out.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,487 Posts
Since you have projectors, going with HID or uber bright LEDs are not a problem as long as they are aimed properly. The problem with HIDs or LEDs is when they're used in reflector housings and/or not adjusted properly.
Problem with using LEDs in the fog lights is they sorta become useless in fog or snow as they blind you more than anything.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts