RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I changed the oil in my 2022 Ram 1500 for the first time today. Installed a Fumoto valve. Drained the pan completely after leaving it open for about 1 hour. The new valve has no leak. Oil filter housing appears to be hubbed and not cross threaded. The oil fill cap is on. I see no leak anywhere. I filled with 8.5 quarts including what I used to soak the new filter. I had an initial low oil pressure as expected per my reading. Then it disappeared, but is now staying on after a couple of start/stop cycles. Dipstick shows proper level of fill. Attached pic shows oil pressure at idle; of note, the initial start up pressure was 6 then stabilized at 19-20 at idle after some throttle input. Any ideas? Thanks for your thoughts. Baffled.

EDIT: I unscrewed and took out the oil filter housing. Then put it back in. All is well again and error message is gone. Start up oil pressure is 22 or so and no error message. Is it possible that overtightening the oil filter housing messes with the sensor or restricts flow? Maybe some sort of air lock? 🤷‍♂️
Automotive tire Vehicle Personal luxury car Automotive design Font

·
Registered
31 Posts
How many miles on the old oil? Need to be very careful with the oil filter and cap assembly.

Quaker State Euro 5w40 is relatively cheap for an approved oil. (see here)

·
Registered
2022 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your reply and info. Old oil had just over 7000 miles. Towed and have done a few trips to the mountains with it. Just wanted to get this first change in a timely fashion. May extend to closer to 10k miles next time. Yeah I’ve read more on this forum and see that the oil filter assembly needs to be screwed on properly to prevent this type of message. Curious what the actual trigger for the sensor is when the filter housing is not placed properly? Is there truly poor flow or the sensor just gets unhappy on initial start up?

That Quaker state oil is a great option. Much cheaper than the Pennzoil Platinum Euro Synthetic 5W40 that I put in. Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts