RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, 1.5 months out of an extended Mopar and factory warranty, the "low oil pressure" light came on and my Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel lost all power.

Towed to dealer, $1200 later in diagnostics, they say the Turbo isn't spinning up. During diagnosis, they found "shavings" in the oil pan, but none in the filter that was changed 6 months ago (when the car was still bumper-to-bumper warrantied).

They are recommending a total engine replacement for $15,000, even though they haven't found anything "wrong" with the engine (just some shavings that might be from prior work, as this car has been in/out of shop for a long time).

Turbo is covered under the settlement warranty to 120K. They are telling me they will "replace the Turbo if I request it," and if it fixes everything then warranty will cover it. But if that doesn't completely fix everything, I have to pay the $6700 bill.

JeepCares has told me they "may help", but only if the engine is torn apart completely (at my expense) to pinpoint what has failed (if anything has). Dealer refuses to do this, and it might even cost me more at $175/hr to fish around in the engine than they would help with.

It seems a little crazy to me that to get the "non working" Turbo replaced under warranty, I have to agree to shoulder the bill if it doesn't "fix everything."

Also, a little crazy that a 2015 JGC Summit with the super warranty fails literally 100 miles out of warranty and this is their answer (basically, not only will we not help you, but we will require you to risk $7K to have us fix something not working under warranty).

Been in the shop 3 months, driving me crazy.

Advise? The service manager keeps advising telling me to "trade it in" and that this is a "terrible engine." Was telling me this even before they diagnosed it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hope this isn't a repost.

Long story short, at 5.1 years and 95K, I got a low oil pressure warning and lost power.

Towed to dealer, they diagnosed that the Turbo isn't spinning up. Turbo is covered under the EcoDiesel settlement to 120k, but they basically won't replace it under warranty.

During the $1300 diagnosis, where they dropped the oil pan, they found some shavings. Curiously, they found no shavings in the oil filter changed 6 months before. Making me think the pan shavings were from a long time ago (truck has had lots of repair work over the years)

The are diagnosing the problem as "failed engine," even though they don't know if anything is wrong with it except the Turbo, which isn't starting.

Since the diagnosis is "failed engine" (no more details than that) which is 1 month out of powertrain&extended warranty, they are telling me that if I want the turbo replaced, they will do it at my request.

If replacing the Turbo fixes the issue, then they agree to cover it under warranty. If it doesn't fix the issue, then I'm on the hook for the $7000 bill.

JeepCares (its a 2015 Ecodiesel Summit) says they will only consider helping if the engine is pulled part to the point of failure (at my expense, billed at$175/hour). So, not really worth anything at all, because so far, just having them drop an oil pan and cut an oil filter in half has costs $1300.

Are they allowed to do this kind of stuff under the extended warranty terms? They are making it basically impossible to get warranty service on a part they say has failed, because "maybe there is something else in the engine" that made it fail, but they have no idea what. It makes the extended warranty essentially useless.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
The turbo not spinning up is bogus they need to figure out why there is debris in the oil pan. Also the turbo replacement should be less than 3k. It’s probably a spun a main bearing and is in limp mode but it could be something small that is getting misdiagnosed.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I agree with @Brokedownbutgood, the most common failure for this engine that results in metal in the pan is crank and/or rod bearing failure. since the pan is already off, it would be very easy to determine if either of these is present. If yes, you're gonna want to replace the engine regardless but $15,000 is outrageous.

You can buy a whole new engine including HPFP, turbo, the whole 9 yards for just under $8000, that means they are charging you $7000 in labor. At your previously mentioned $175/hr that means they are charging 40 hours of labor for a job that I would guess would be around 10 hours.

Reactions: 3DHawkeye

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's been in the shop 3 months.

As far as I can tell, they have (a) dropped the pan (b) cut the filter in half (c) changed the oil and filter (d) checked the engine oil pressure with a gauge (it was fine). Total bill to tell me the "engine is broken" and the "turbo isn't spinning" is $1283.

The pan being dropped doesn't help me. It seems like they "put it back together" after ever test and drove it back into the yard, which is probably why there is a $1283 bill. Back and forth, back and forth. I haven't exactly been consulted on much of this.

Currently they are telling me: cost to replace engine: $14500 + $1283 diagnostic = $15800. Cost to replace just the Turbo $6700 + $1283 = $8000.

That's what I am facing. Yes, it seems quite outrageous. I'm a little pissed that for $1300, all they have done is drop the pan, take some pictures of shavings, and change the oil.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The turbo not spinning up is bogus they need to figure out why there is debris in the oil pan. Also the turbo replacement should be less than 3k. It’s probably a spun a main bearing and is in limp mode but it could be something small that is getting misdiagnosed.
To give a little more info, the engine idles fine, sounds perfect, no thumping, banging or anything, the engine just "has no power." And by has no power, I don't mean it just can't go fast or on the freeway, I mean it's hard to go a few hundred feet without it acting weird. Much less power than any limp mode I have had before with a car.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
When a main spins often you well have good oil pressure since the reading is taken at the being of the system. But what happens is it takes a lot more power to spin the crank. Your looking at a new engine if there was metal debris is the pan.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
My turbo was replaced approx 217k miles for $2.900 CJDR Waynesville, NC.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When a main spins often you well have good oil pressure since the reading is taken at the being of the system. But what happens is it takes a lot more power to spin the crank. Your looking at a new engine if there was metal debris is the pan.
I'm not convinced that the engine shavings are relevant anymore. The Jeep was bought new by my brother, and it had some engine issues that were repaired. So those shavings might be from "before."
If the shavings were still relevant, wouldn't they have shown up in the the filter?

I changed the oil+filter in Nov 2020, and in May 2021 when they cut it open, there were 0 shavings in the filter, only in the pan.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts