RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

New member here and I absolutely love my new 2020 limited ED truck, but I’m curious to know if anyone else is experiencing lower than expected in city or combined MPG. I currently have 1300 miles on the truck and know the engine is still breaking in, but I was expecting to see better initial numbers. Currently I’m averaging 15.2-16 with 80% city driving after 348 miles. I was expecting to be in the 19-21 range. Pure Highway mileage has been great with three separate trips, one from Idaho to Seattle I averaged 26.5, Seattle to Portland was 26.2, and the return 26.3. Combined over 1300 miles 60/40 highway/city, I’m only averaging 19.1 MPG. What are you all experiencing and any thoughts on my lower mpg? Perhaps a bad tank or winter fuel, or is this normal?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Hello All,

New member here and I absolutely love my new 2020 limited ED truck, but I’m curious to know if anyone else is experiencing lower than expected in city or combined MPG. I currently have 1300 miles on the truck and know the engine is still breaking in, but I was expecting to see better initial numbers. Currently I’m averaging 15.2-16 with 80% city driving after 348 miles. I was expecting to be in the 19-21 range. Pure Highway mileage has been great with three separate trips, one from Idaho to Seattle I averaged 26.5, Seattle to Portland was 26.2, and the return 26.3. Combined over 1300 miles 60/40 highway/city, I’m only averaging 19.1 MPG. What are you all experiencing and any thoughts on my lower mpg? Perhaps a bad tank or winter fuel, or is this normal?
How are you driving?
What sort of weather and traffic have you been driving in?
How are you arriving at your mileage numbers?
What is your truck configuration?

·
Registered
12,831 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Your report is valuable to many. Assuming you are hand-calculating, a good honest report is valuable. Sometimes the EVIC reading is not very accurate so just suggesting all be hand calculated with a consistent routine repeated with the filler hose.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just my experience, I'm at 1100 miles and averaging 23.5, hand calculated in mixed driving. Curiously, my hand calculation was higher than the evic by .7mpg. On the highway I'm at the 29mpg mark, but any stop and go brings it quickly down to the 24mpg number.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How are you driving?
What sort of weather and traffic have you been driving in?
How are you arriving at your mileage numbers?
What is your truck configuration?
Hi John -Normal driving, a little winter weather, but mostly rain and sun, some stop and go traffic with speeds ranging from 0-50 mph, I'm using the vehicle computer and well as hand calculation, and my truck is the limited 4x4, 3.92 gears, 33 gallon tank, rambox, (pretty much fully loaded).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Using remote start and idling well drop fuel economy in a hurry.
Thanks and I did not even think about these two items. I do us remote start quite a bit right now (usually 5 min. in the morning or when approaching my truck).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies and I'll be filling up my truck this weekend to can hand calculate the current MPG/mileage figures. I know the lie o' meter can be off and I'm hoping the numbers are better this time around. I also just put all-terrain tires on (Falkin AT3W 275/55/20, same size as stock) so we'll see how much that affects the mileage. I'm expecting around 1mpg worse than the stock Bridgestone's. Is that a fair amount to be off with changing tires and if not, what should I expect?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Hi John -Normal driving, a little winter weather, but mostly rain and sun, some stop and go traffic with speeds ranging from 0-50 mph, I'm using the vehicle computer and well as hand calculation, and my truck is the limited 4x4, 3.92 gears, 33 gallon tank, rambox, (pretty much fully loaded).
Would it be fair to say that you are using this truck as a typical sub-urban commuter vehicle? Few long trips, not working hard even when carrying a load? Most weekday trips just long enough to get it hot? Maybe ... mostly to work and back weekdays with most of the long miles being when you're not at work?

I get the sense that many of the EcoD's are used this way.

·
Vendor
1,137 Posts
Thanks for all the replies and I'll be filling up my truck this weekend to can hand calculate the current MPG/mileage figures. I know the lie o' meter can be off and I'm hoping the numbers are better this time around. I also just put all-terrain tires on (Falkin AT3W 275/55/20, same size as stock) so we'll see how much that affects the mileage. I'm expecting around 1mpg worse than the stock Bridgestone's. Is that a fair amount to be off with changing tires and if not, what should I expect?
We have tested various tires over the years. Tire weight and rolling resistance are main two factors determining the fuel economy impact. A/T tires can be about 1-3 mpg worse than factory. Load range E tires tend to pack on the weight more than just a load range D A/T tire. However, the A/T tread pattern tends to have more wind resistance drag and surface friction if a lower treadwear #. Your results will be good information on this platform.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Another thing, in the winter with 80% city driving, is the truck getting up to full operating temperature? How far are your city trips? If you start it cold and drive it 5 miles in the city then stop and repeat the mileage will be awful.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Would it be fair to say that you are using this truck as a typical sub-urban commuter vehicle? Few long trips, not working hard even when carrying a load? Most weekday trips just long enough to get it hot? Maybe ... mostly to work and back weekdays with most of the long miles being when you're not at work?

I get the sense that many of the EcoD's are used this way.
That is a fair assessment, especially during the winter. Come Spring, Summer, and Fall, I’ll be using the truck more for its true intended purpose.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We have tested various tires over the years. Tire weight and rolling resistance are main two factors determining the fuel economy impact. A/T tires can be about 1-3 mpg worse than factory. Load range E tires tend to pack on the weight more than just a load range D A/T tire. However, the A/T tread pattern tends to have more wind resistance drag and surface friction if a lower treadwear #. Your results will be good information on this platform.
Thank you for the information and I opted for the passenger version (XL) of these ties versus the heavier 10 ply E rated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Another thing, in the winter with 80% city driving, is the truck getting up to full operating temperature? How far are your city trips? If you start it cold and drive it 5 miles in the city then stop and repeat the mileage will be awful.
Yes, it’s getting up to full operating temperature and my total commute time is around 30-45minutes (one daily 10min. stop accounted for in this). Distance is approximately 7-10 miles one way (traffic dependent). I knew this would negatively affect the mileage, but it’s been far worse than anticipated.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Yes, it’s getting up to full operating temperature and my total commute time is around 30-45minutes (one daily 10min. stop accounted for in this). Distance is approximately 7-10 miles one way (traffic dependent). I knew this would negatively affect the mileage, but it’s been far worse than anticipated.
What is your outside temperature like?
The school my kids go to is 9 miles from my house, 1 mile on a 30 mph road and the other 8 on a 65 mph state highway. If the temps are 40 F or lower the truck wont reach normal operating temp before I get to the school. Driving them cold is bad on the economy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Low temps are normally in the high 30’s to high 40’s right now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts