RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting new shoes today and trying to decide on the rating. I have the 355 rear end and 265/70/17 tires.
My truck came with the E rated Goodyears and are doing great (50k)but I want new now. I do pull a 7000# car enclosed hauler several times a year.
I was curious if the ride is any smoother with the lighter load range tires, since most of the time its just my DD. I am not worried about mpg since I already have E rated tires so it shouldn't get worse just going to the Michelins.
Here is my two choice:
LT E RANGE 3195 Load Capacity
Lighter Range 2679 Load Capacity

Both tires are 265/70/17

·
Registered
95 Posts
Do you ever go off road, then you certainly don't want to put Mich highway tires on.
I changed to Cooper Discover E rated after the Goodyear Es got thin. But I drive on gravel roads a lot.
But if you just want a hwy tire, you could go C rated and up to size 275 or 285 for a higher load rating.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine is pretty much a road queen, may pull into the yard to move a trailer around but not an off roader guy. I do want to stay the same size and the Goodyears were highway tread as well. The Coopers were my second choice.
I think what I am wondering is if there is any difference in ride between the two ratings on this Michelin tire. I don't want to give up safety when hauling $80k vehicle in the trailer or hauling a load of rock in the bed. I do have Goodyear airbags on rear.

·
Super Moderator
3,221 Posts
I’m running the Defenders. The Good Years have treated you well. But For your description I’d choose the Defenders. Quieter better fuel economy & longer lasting. Quality.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I just put the Cooper Discoverer AT LRE tires on my truck a month ago and really like the ride and stability. I run 40 psi empty and 65 psi when towing. I paid $136 each at Wallyworld and about $100 to mount and balance. Go with LRE, you won't be disappointed.
Canyon

·
Registered
369 Posts
My oem tires had a round stone penetrate the middle of the tread @ 20,000, went Michelin Defender, nice ride, good handling, winters Nokia studded tires on steel rims with tpms.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I edited the title since I am trying to choose between two Michelin Defenders, E rated or XL rated
Is the XL smoother ride and better mpg good enough or take no chances and go E rated ?

·
Registered
753 Posts
I have had auto tires, E range tires, XL rated tires on various trucks over the years. These days, unless I am going to work the truck hard (which I don't do anymore), I buy basic automotive tires. After 45 years of owning pickup trucks, I can honestly say I have never had a blowout and only ever one flat.

The ride on the E rated tires is harsh and not at all comfortable for anything other than loaded or trailering trucks.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Since there the same tire just different load ranges you wont notice much difference. Personally I dont see a good reason the go with a lower load range but I run load range D minimum on my truck. The xl is bascilly a load range C tire. You can run a load range e at a lower pressure like 35-40 and still have a great ride but you cant run xl at 65 for towing or hauling heavy stuff.

·
Registered
753 Posts
If you do the required work to get the tongue weight set correctly, you can tow most trailers with no issues at all, using basic tires. You aren't going to be running 80mph in an Arizona desert sun, but with some common sense you'll do just fine.

That said, I see plenty of yahoos around here who don't care about load limits or tongue weights, who run around towing way over the limits for the trailer, never mind the truck, who just drop the trailer onto the bumper ball and never use WD hitches and who can barely see over the hood because it's up so high from the load on the back ....

If you are one of those idiots, buy E range. it will help keep you from killing someone else.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I do an enormous amount of towing and have had good luck with Defender tires (D range). E is too much tire for the 1500 trucks in my opinion. E tires are for 2500/3500 HD Rams. D range is more than adequate for our 1500 trucks.

·
Super Moderator
3,221 Posts
Properly loaded truck trailer and properly inflated an XL such as the 275/55/20 that Ram now puts on the 5th gen 1500s is enough tire for anything that you could reasonably carry or tow on your half ton. Say to 7,800 on your truck per max combined axle rating or towing to the 9,200. They do ride better unloaded. People who need to run their truck over larger rough cut gravel will benefit from a stronger LRE especailly AT tire with less blow outs. LRE such as the 265/60/20 that I am currently running also works well but does benefit from being run at lower pressures to best work with the soft suspension. I generally have settled at leaving mine at 55psi and my truck is loaded with something well over half the time. While the LRE is heavier I have not noticed a mileage penalty. Probably in part because of the high way design and quality of the Defenders.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts