RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my AEM flash done on Thursday. I posted good reports.

Today I hooked the boat up to go fishing. Got down the road a ways and noticed my Soot level had climbed from 32% to 65% in about ten miles.
I got on the express way, cruised along at 65 mph, and the level quickly got to 75%. The truck went into a regen, and continued for 10-12 miles of expressway driving. Much longer than normal.
I turned around to head home and got back onto the expressway. Finally the regen quit, back to 9%.
As I watched, the soot level climbed about 2% every half mile. Very quickly it was back into a regen. It quit the regen about 3 miles from home. By the time I got home, it was back up to 30% and climbing.

Any one else experience this?

I'm going to take it back out without the boat and see of it loads up as fast without a load on it.

I drove about 40 miles with the exhaust temperatures between 800 and 1200 degrees. Engine temps were normal if not a bit cooler than pre AEM. I was starting to worry with all the heat that I might be posting photo's of a truck on fire..

·
Registered
43 Posts
No wonder they extended the warranty on the emissions gear. But seriously that's the first post I've seen with a problem like that. One thing I noticed after running the AEM for over a month was my average regen interval was only 99 miles. That seemed low. What I'm not sure of, though, is if that's the average of every regen in the history of the ECM, or if it's the last 10 or what.

·
Registered
286 Posts
My truck would regen 40 to 50 miles. I had a bad egr cooler after AEM but it still only went 40 to 50 miles after replacement. Towing seemed to be worse for me also but I don't think it was as bad as your experiencing. My truck has always taken 10 to 12 miles to regen before and after gde tune.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
wow. that sucks. I guess I won't change my forum name to "Lucky" Ram1... :(

·
Registered
12,797 Posts
Good heavens. A regeneration every 100 miles or so is mind boggling to me. That means the inconvenience is frequent and the fuel mileage sucks.

It has been a long, long time, maybe 90,000 miles or so, since I had a stock Ecodiesel. Still got my gauge to monitor it long ago and never ever saw anything like that. Now I see them maybe 800 miles or so, depending on driving style. Almost never while towing as the CAT runs so hot and it seems to just clean itself under normal towing operation.

My opinion may not be valid on this frequency if you choose to drive a stock emissions Ecodiesel. Hope you figure it out or choose to eliminate the problem.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Update:

I just took it on a 60 mile ride with no trailer and no load.
Started at 15% and ended at 26%.

The odd thing is that if I accelerated hard, the soot % would jump up by 10-20%, but then slowly go back down to where it was before I accelerated.
That's exactly what mine did before I tuned it. I'd never get more then 50 or so miles before a regen though. Soot % on monitor would fly up on acceleration then drop at cruising speeds.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Update:

I just took it on a 60 mile ride with no trailer and no load.
Started at 15% and ended at 26%.

The odd thing is that if I accelerated hard, the soot % would jump up by 10-20%, but then slowly go back down to where it was before I accelerated.
This almost sounds like a fuel issue?

·
Registered
600 Posts
I had issues less then 12 hours after the AEM tune. The SCR system crapped out and set check engine light. They replaced all of it except filter. Has been fine ever since. And in almost 2 years and 50,000 miles I still haven't gotten a regeneration warning. And it hasn't used as much DEF fluid as it did before. I changed the oil a week before the tune and have almost 6,000 miles on it and am only around half. It would normally be close to a 1/4 til empty. Has anyone else noticed there usage change. And we even towed the camper with it twice sense the tune. One was 900 miles round trip. It should have used more DEF.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Interesting. I didn't think of that.
If I were getting poor combustion, wouldn't there be a bit of smoke? I wouldn't think the DPF could stop it all.
If it was poor fuel wouldn't you have the same issues now after you took trailer off. Or did you refill with fresh fuel ?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Good heavens. A regeneration every 100 miles or so is mind boggling to me. That means the inconvenience is frequent and the fuel mileage sucks.

It has been a long, long time, maybe 90,000 miles or so, since I had a stock Ecodiesel. Still got my gauge to monitor it long ago and never ever saw anything like that. Now I see them maybe 800 miles or so, depending on driving style. Almost never while towing as the CAT runs so hot and it seems to just clean itself under normal towing operation.

My opinion may not be valid on this frequency if you choose to drive a stock emissions Ecodiesel. Hope you figure it out or choose to eliminate the problem.
Yep, GDE makes a big difference. I saw 99 miles average when I had the stock ECM in there for several weeks after the AEM update. Put the GDE ECM back om last weekend, and it shows 779 miles. Again, I'm not sure how that average is calculated - all regens, last N regens or what.

·
Registered
779 Posts
My Edge measured soot% has been erratic since the AEM. One second I look over at it and it's 12%, 5 minutes later it's 50%, a little while later it's at 20%. The mileage between regens is about 130-170 in town and up to 275 on the highway. I'm leaving on a towing (7k#) trip which is 150mi each way and through the hills in northern VT so it will be interesting to gather data. This particular trip usually returns me a 13.4-13.9 mpg.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts