RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I took delivery of a 2014 Outdoorsman Crew Cab with 6' bed last week. Mine has the Hemi, but I thought some of you guys might benefit from this as well. It seems that the long wheel base Outdoorsman is getting the incorrect transfer case for unknown reasons. All of the documentation advertises the Outdoorsman with the part-time t-case, but that's not what I got. I think some of you are aware of the operation of the on-demand transfer case and that it requires wheel slip before the front axle engages. I think that's fine for most, but I want a true locking transfer case. I knew when I ordered the truck that it would have the auto t-case, but was hoping that the guys that were complaining were making it more of a problem than it was, but I'm afraid that this could be a big issue if the truck is truly used off-road. The longer bed was more important to me so I went ahead and took a gamble. I tested mine in a parking lot and I can turn at full lock in 4-lock with no binding, which is not what 4-lock should be.

I had my first "off-road" experience this weekend. I had my little 1k lbs flatbed trailer hooked up and the trailer and rear wheels were parked on a somewhat steep wet grassy incline and the front wheels on hard pack gravel. I knew these street tires wouldn't have any traction on the wet grass, so I put it in 4-lock. It dug a nice rut before the front axle engaged and pulled the truck up the hill. With the proper part time t-case, the front axle would have immediately been engaged and the rear tires would have never slipped. This is a problem in my eyes. I'm coming from a Power Wagon with a real transfer case and electric lockers. I'm not expecting off-road performance like my old truck had, but a real locking t-case should not be too much to ask for.

I filed a case with Ram last week hoping to get some answers. I really want them to install the correct t-case in my truck, but I don't know if that's even a possibility. Any of you other LWB Outdoorsman guys that feel that same was as me, I urge you to contact Ram for some answers.

Here's a huge thread on Ram Forum regarding these issues (I'm hoping cross-posting is allowed here). The last couple pages (~36) is where I jump in. There are a few others that are looking for answers there as well.

4x4 problem Ram 2013 8-speed - DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums

·
Registered
738 Posts
Read it all. It's been discussed here before. Frankly, it spun a bunch of people up for no obvious reason. There are plenty of us here who have not issues with the electronic transfer case, ie, seems to be working as designed.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Agreed, it seems like some trucks have a defective case and a few people have decided to make it their personal mission to bitch instead of getting theirs checked and repaired.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine is working as designed too. It's designed to sense a considerable amount of slip before it engages. That's not the definition of 4-lock. I too thought a bunch of guys were getting spun up for nothing but that's just how this t-case works. The old NV cases did not operate like that, just these new Borg Warner models.

That's not what my problem is though. My problem is that the Outdoorsman is advertised to have the part time case and the LWB models do not. IMO, that's a selling feature of this model. False advertising with no reason why.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
If your take on the advertising is correct. You are correct.

Can it be changed?

·
Registered
362 Posts
My outdoorsman is the 5'7" bed and I only have 4lock and 4 low, not 4auto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
211 Posts
Just a thought but the electronic part time transfer case might have been on allocation and to keep the factory lines running they switch to the on demand version.
I have heard some weird combinations on 3rd gen 2500/3500 that wasn't documented due to parts shortages.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Just a thought but the electronic part time transfer case might have been on allocation and to keep the factory lines running they switch to the on demand version.
I have heard some weird combinations on 3rd gen 2500/3500 that wasn't documented due to parts shortages.
It seems to be all of the crew cab 6'4 models getting the same transfer case, mine is a 2013 and it is the same.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just an FYI for those that actually agree that this is a big deal with the wrong transfer case. Ram basically told me tough shit and would not give me an answer as to why this particular configuration gets the wrong case. They instructed me to contact the dealer with any future communications. I'm very disappointed in their customer service. This is the 7th Mopar vehicle I've bought in the last 8 years. I'm a Mopar guy to the bone but this is just disappointing...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

·
Registered
241 Posts
So, as someone who is about to buy this is pretty concerning to me.

Does everyone with the 44-44 transfer case experience slip before the front engages? Once the front engages in 4-lock does it STAY locked? or will it unlock as soon as you slow/stop? if you keep on the throttle will it stay locked? I'm not quite clear on whether or not this is like my current transfer case where it sometimes requires me to drive a few feet or give the steering wheel a little side to side motion while slowly moving forward before it locks in, or if it actual locks and unlocks continuously while driving in 4-lock?

I've read most of the thread on the other forum linked and it seems like its only a few people complaining and I can't find any clear info on whether or not all the 44-44 transfer cases do this, or if its just some people's.

·
Registered
521 Posts
So, as someone who is about to buy this is pretty concerning to me.

Does everyone with the 44-44 transfer case experience slip before the front engages? Once the front engages in 4-lock does it STAY locked? or will it unlock as soon as you slow/stop? if you keep on the throttle will it stay locked? I'm not quite clear on whether or not this is like my current transfer case where it sometimes requires me to drive a few feet or give the steering wheel a little side to side motion while slowly moving forward before it locks in, or if it actual locks and unlocks continuously while driving in 4-lock?

I've read most of the thread on the other forum linked and it seems like its only a few people complaining and I can't find any clear info on whether or not all the 44-44 transfer cases do this, or if its just some people's.
I would like to say every one of these transfer cases will have this issue but only the people who use them in snow or off road will notice it, but that is just my opinion. I can tell you this, every single time you stop it WILL unlock, that is how it is designed. I will guarantee it is nothing like your old transfer case. If you stay in the throttle the clutch will stay engaged as long the computer deems you need 4wd, after that it will kick back to 2wd until you lose traction again.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Read it all. It's been discussed here before. Frankly, it spun a bunch of people up for no obvious reason. There are plenty of us here who have not issues with the electronic transfer case, ie, seems to be working as designed.
Spun up for a very obvious reason. There is no way of knowing when you buy the truck that 4wd Lock is only a "sometimes" lock. And you cannot force it, very disturbing when you are trying to start out on sand or deep snow. At that point you often cannot afford the wheel spin that engages it.
False advertising I think
If this can be fixed with a flash, RAM needs to get their butts in gear and change some code.

Sure, they can afford a mistake like this when competitors are behind, but the competition will not sit still, and when RAM no longer has the best product AND they have destroyed their reputation with stupid stuff like this what do they do? Integrity is everything.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I believe all LWB get the auto transfer case. The advertising material on the Outdoorsman is confusing. For instance all diesels are supposed to come standard with dual exhaust but in every case the Outdoorsman comes with a single exhaust. That is hard to figure reading the online chard.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I believe all LWB get the auto transfer case. The advertising material on the Outdoorsman is confusing. For instance all diesels are supposed to come standard with dual exhaust but in every case the Outdoorsman comes with a single exhaust. That is hard to figure reading the online chard.
Until 2015 yes.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My 2014 outdoorsman cc/lb does not slip before the fronts kick in. I was detained on a muddy side hill because rear end slid downhill in 2wd mode, applied brakes to stop rear wheel spin, engaged 4wd and pulled through the slope without the rear end spinning independent of the front.

·
Registered
521 Posts
My 2014 outdoorsman cc/lb does not slip before the fronts kick in. I was detained on a muddy side hill because rear end slid downhill in 2wd mode, applied brakes to stop rear wheel spin, engaged 4wd and pulled through the slope without the rear end spinning independent of the front.
In 4 lock you can just barely feel it, litterally unless you are trying to feel it you will never notice it. Also it has been noted that the air gap in the clutches are different from transfer case to transfer case. If you are lucky enough to have gotten one without much of a gap the delay isn't even noticeable

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
In 4 lock you can just barely feel it, litterally unless you are trying to feel it you will never notice it. Also it has been noted that the air gap in the clutches are different from transfer case to transfer case. If you are lucky enough to have gotten one without much of a gap the delay isn't even noticeable
I used my 4x4 extensively this past winter, including pulling my buddy's 5.9 cummins out of a hole. My Laramie has the auto TC, and it worked flawlessly. In my case, when in "4-Lock" there MAY be a sixteenth of one revolution of the rear tires before the front engages. And to be honest that is probably generous. Most times the transition between 2x and 4x is totally imperceptible. (On my truck at least)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Does anyone ever hear a popping noise coming from the t-case when in 4wd? I heard a metalic pinging noise coming from mine when it's in 4wd and under load.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts