RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had a 4" K&N sitting around so I made a piece to hook it to the MAF sensor to see how it would sound.
DSC_0159.JPG
Even set up like this it was still pretty quiet. Around town you can hear the turbo as it spools up and down. On the highway it is tough to tell much of a difference other than when it is spooling up or spooling down cruising or at WOT there is virtually no difference in sound in the cab. It still made it much more enjoyable to drive around town but was definitely not obnoxious. I know it would need heat shields to be an effective CAI and a K&N is not my first choice for a filter but at least I know what it would sound like.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I did a little more testing and did see a 50-100' reduction in egts with this setup when I put a heat shield on it. I saw egts go from 1250 with factory airbox to 1150-1200 with this. Tests were performed at the same outside temp up the same grade at the same speed so maybe there is something to be gained on these trucks.

Reactions: TC's 1500

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I did a little more testing and did see a 50-100' reduction in egts with this setup when I put a heat shield on it. I saw egts go from 1250 with factory airbox to 1150-1200 with this. Tests were performed at the same outside temp up the same grade at the same speed so maybe there is something to be gained on these trucks.
Is be very impressed if it truly was causing lower EGT's... I mean you're really not getting cooler air, and its all intercooled anyhow. Either way, thanks for the report.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
With a little less restriction on the intake... you will flow more air, over all... and in turn... cool the exhaust. BUT... K&N's suck. They may have been the original cotton filter... but they let too much junk though... even when oiled properly.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Innovative! Not sure on this engine, but on a gas engine with a throttle body, the computer will only let the proper amount of air & fuel through and I question all the HP & MPG's gain by just adding a CAI without setting the computer pariameters

·
Registered
236 Posts
My buddy live out near the Wichita Mountains in oklahoma. And before he made his modes he was seeing about 1275-1300° egt avg on his route for horse training (semi retired) he drives it 3-4 times a week.

He made his own CAI with his own tubing to the Turbo. Plus he made a 3.5" DEF back Straight pipe single exhaust.

He says he now avg 1100-1150° avg on the same route daily. I'm glad some else was able to knock some egts down. Idk how he made his he lives on the opposite side of the state and he doesn't do much except camp and ride horses since he's retired.

Now I want S&B to get one out and on the market (idk why I just like their products had on my 07 & 11 cummins)

·
Registered
233 Posts
My buddy live out near the Wichita Mountains in oklahoma. And before he made his modes he was seeing about 1275-1300° egt avg on his route for horse training (semi retired) he drives it 3-4 times a week.

He made his own CAI with his own tubing to the Turbo. Plus he made a 3.5" DEF back Straight pipe single exhaust.

He says he now avg 1100-1150° avg on the same route daily. I'm glad some else was able to knock some egts down. Idk how he made his he lives on the opposite side of the state and he doesn't do much except camp and ride horses since he's retired.

Now I want S&B to get one out and on the market (idk why I just like their products had on my 07 & 11 cummins)

That S&B does look really nice! I like how it is all enclosed and it opens up to the active grill shutters at certain times. Atleast it does for the cummins

·
Registered
231 Posts
I just completed my third prototype fitting for the S&B Cold Air Intake System. It looks like things are progressing pretty good. They have documented a 30% increase in air flow and a more responsive throttle response. Im close to getting the final kit for road testing. Im hoping its ready for my trip next week. Ive been keeping my fuel mileage on fuelly.com, so I should have a good baseline to compare the added benefit of a CAI. Ill get pics and further info as I get it.

Reactions: TC's 1500

·
Registered
236 Posts
I still believe the clean look that S&B provides plus throttle response and turbo sound is worth what they normally run price wise.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Man, there sure is a bunch of stupid engineers designing engines these days. Geez, all the efforts they go through to obtain more power and more economy and they all just consistently keep overlooking those restrictive air intakes. Heck, every new car that comes out is followed by the introduction of a new, higher flow, better this or better that CAI. Please, give me a figgin' break! Modern engines DO NOT have intake flow restrictions. The entire concept is just absurd!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Haha, This is another example why every truck is setup differently.

I do like the Look, Sound, and Performance of a mod that in past trucks was achieved in less then 45 mins of work under $250 and it does not void the warranty (on my 2 6.7s it didnt).

BUT I know on several occasions people on the Cummins website did not like it, you'd see a 50/50 split on the topic. And I don't believe people who say they see 1-2 mpg increase adding them. Mine never have added mpg's just simply let the turbo be heard better, clearly improved the throttle response, and for me it also made the engine bay look cleaner.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'll be adding a CAI to my truck once I find one that can accept a Donaldson powercore filter unless I can figure out how to fit one in the stock box.

Had a Volant CAI with the powercore filter on my Frontier and there was an immediate difference in throttle response and I gained 1 mpg.
Maybe it was the filter, maybe the stock box frontier was not the best design.....maybe a combo of the two.

With all the bolt-on's I've had on my VW's in the past with little or no gains I was reluctant to put a CAI on my previous truck.... but everyone swore up and down it worked great......and it really did on that application.

We'll see what happens.
I've already asked Volant if that have any plans to make a CAI for the Eco-D's.
No response yet.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Man, there sure is a bunch of stupid engineers designing engines these days. Geez, all the efforts they go through to obtain more power and more economy and they all just consistently keep overlooking those restrictive air intakes. Heck, every new car that comes out is followed by the introduction of a new, higher flow, better this or better that CAI. Please, give me a figgin' break! Modern engines DO NOT have intake flow restrictions. The entire concept is just absurd!
Oh Really?

Then I guess the 2007+ Mustang Shelby gaining 40-50 Horsepower from an air intake means the aftermarket intakes engineers are magic.

http://www.kandn.com/dynocharts/57-2571_dyno.pdf

I've seen this in person, repeated on a dyno multiple times.

You really need to go on a case by case basis for Air intake systems. Some vehicles see gains, others don't.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Really? They expect people to believe one of the MOST tested and beat on cars the last couple years magically gained 10% MORE power from a filter and cold air change???? I call BS on those dynos.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Its a turbo engine folks, intercooled at that..... The turbo will do the work, the intercooler will do the cooling, and the engine will only let in what it has to as it is not naturaly aspirated so it doesnt have to suck the air in, it is force fed air. Just think about it, no matter what temp you introduce the air into the turbo the compression and heat of the turbo will heat it back up then send it down the intercooler to be re cooled. The turbo is a variable vein unit instead of the usual exhaust blow off type so the computer is in constant control of the air entering the engine and how much the turbo will pull. I can not see how anyone could get any performance gains off of a CAI. If you really want to do something add a meth water injection to cool the air even more or a co2 spray bar on the intercooler setup to spray when your at max boost or a little before.
A CAI would be good to add if you upgraded the intercooler to a bigger unit and you needed the 30% more flow or what ever the company claims but for the way the truck is setup now there would be nothing to gain by it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts