RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Laramie ecodiesel
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was having issues with my DEF so after much research decided to just get rid of that crap. I ordered the tune from HD diesel co in Canada. $1,800 US Shipped to Ohio in about 5 days. I ordered the tune with engine braking, transmission tune and high idle. I did the tune my self and it was pretty easy. Took the truck to a local guy who pulled the dpf off and capped everything off.

So here are my thoughts so far...
1st off I never noticed how bad diesel smelled until now. I started avoiding hooking or un hooking my trailer while my truck is running.

Secondly, I am not so sure of this transmission tune. It shifts very short and fast from 1-4 I know diesels get power on the low end but I feel like I dont get that snap I thought I'd get back like before the factory retard tune.

Thirdly, today was the first day towing on the highway. So it's been done for about 3 days. I didnt see the fuel mileage increases or the performance increase I thought I would. Both towing and not. I thought if anything there might be a placebo effect and that my mileage would be better just from driving it differently. Maybe to early to tell but the last few days have been average mpg or honestly maybe slightly under. Took my truck to myrtle beach a few years ago before the dealer ecu update and was getting 27-32 mpg average and was hoping I'd be somewhere close to that again.

Has anyone else gone with HD diesel and had any similar thoughts? Better to worse? Please share.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know what you are saying, I live in ohio also. My truck has never been the same since all this FCA crap. I imagine they have switched to winter blend if there is such a thing. I’m still waiting on parts from dealer to make my 2014 up to date. Hopefully someone has a helpful response for you.

·
Registered
924 Posts
I've been thinking of talking to them about deleting my DPF, as I have 100,000 miles with the old GDE hot tune, DEF delete, regen message and high idle. Was also thinking about trying to remove the DPF and try to clean it and replace. I really don't want to loose my GDE tune, though.

·
Registered
16 Laramie ecodiesel
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been thinking of talking to them about deleting my DPF, as I have 100,000 miles with the old GDE hot tune, DEF delete, regen message and high idle. Was also thinking about trying to remove the DPF and try to clean it and replace. I really don't want to loose my GDE tune, though.
I called GDE and basically the guy said if I was looking to not have emissions that they were the wrong company for me that the new tune is a modified factory tune that still uses all the emissions. My issue was part of my system was bad and I had a mileage countdown. My truck only has 50k but since it's a Canadian truck it lost its factory warranty when it crossed the boarder.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the tune from HD diesel in Canada. I've had it about three weeks, I did notice the diesel smell - and so did my wife. But it doesn't bother me that much I kind of like the smell myself. I got it for the dangerous turbo leg that could end up getting somebody killed. I did notice that went away pretty much completely I noticed more power and I gained about 3 miles a gallon. I have not tried towing with it yet and I don't have the transmission tune so I cant realy comment on that yet. i am glad I got it, it is a much better Driving Experience now. Oh and I did notice for the people that have ever tried to back up with the door open, and it puts u back in park. this tune must eliminate that safety feature cuz now I can do that again

·
Registered
16 Laramie ecodiesel
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the tune from HD diesel in Canada. I've had it about three weeks, I did notice the diesel smell - and so did my wife. But it doesn't bother me that much I kind of like the smell myself. I got it for the dangerous turbo leg that could end up getting somebody killed. I did notice that went away pretty much completely I noticed more power and I gained about 3 miles a gallon. I have not tried towing with it yet and I don't have the transmission tune so I cant realy comment on that yet. i am glad I got it, it is a much better Driving Experience now. Oh and I did notice for the people that have ever tried to back up with the door open, and it puts u back in park. this tune must eliminate that safety feature cuz now I can do that again
Haha I almost ran myself over trying to flip my mirrors out when I first got my truck because I wasnt used to the dial. Like 3 weeks later the dealer had my truck for recalls and that was one of them lol. I hang my head out the window to back my trailer up haha.

·
Registered
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Ecodiesel
73 Posts
There is a thread about adding a catalytic converter into exhaust system after the delete.

It used to even have pictures, but not anymore for some reason.
I'm thinking about doing it soon, my wife also complains about smell.

·
Registered
2015 CC Laramie (3.92), DPF Delete, EGR Stage 2 Delete, CCS Tuned, Timbren bump stops, Straight Pipe
137 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Ecodiesel
73 Posts
Catalytic converter is not really a filter, it is simply a device that gets extremely hot and burns off any remainder fuel and soot in the exhaust. Diesels used to have these standard prior 2008 in US, and I do not remember hearing of widespread issues of clogging up CC. This was just a suggestion about getting rid of diesel smell. I'm sure if this is working good on 6.0L Powerstroke, it will do twice better on 3.0L EcoDiesel

·
Registered
483 Posts
Seems silly to get rid of filters then add a filter.
It seems silly, but you can get a much higher flowing aftermarket CAT, which is not a filter and have the same benefits of being fully deleted, but without the smell and no DEF needed like the stock exhaust.

Personally, Iike the smell. I own a fully deleted sprinter and then my ecodiesel. I actually just turned to my wife and asked if she ever wanted me to do anything to help remove the smell and she told me it doesn't bother her at all. I'm fine adding a cat, but it doesn't bother me or my wife, so I'll just leave it 3.5" all the way back. :)

·
Registered
2015 CC Laramie (3.92), DPF Delete, EGR Stage 2 Delete, CCS Tuned, Timbren bump stops, Straight Pipe
137 Posts
Yes, even catalytic converters do plug up eventually. How long compared to say a DPF being plugged or needing replacement is anyones guess. I would feel comfortable leaving them on a gas engine but definitely not a diesel. Not a question of if but when they also cause a problem.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Diesels dont use conventional catalytic convertors they use diesel oxidation catalysts. Personally I would like to add one to my truck since they are not prone to plugging and would clean up a lot of the odors and cold smoke, but they can be damaged if something up stream goes wrong.

·
Registered
16 Laramie ecodiesel
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, even catalytic converters do plug up eventually. How long compared to say a DPF being plugged or needing replacement is anyones guess. I would feel comfortable leaving them on a gas engine but definitely not a diesel. Not a question of if but when they also cause a problem.
Doesnt the dpf have a burn off cycle? Dont remember the term... I just remember all the tuners pulling the cats for better performance. I just assumed they created a flow issue.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Was having issues with my DEF so after much research decided to just get rid of that crap. I ordered the tune from HD diesel co in Canada. $1,800 US Shipped to Ohio in about 5 days. I ordered the tune with engine braking, transmission tune and high idle. I did the tune my self and it was pretty easy. Took the truck to a local guy who pulled the dpf off and capped everything off.

So here are my thoughts so far...
1st off I never noticed how bad diesel smelled until now. I started avoiding hooking or un hooking my trailer while my truck is running.

Secondly, I am not so sure of this transmission tune. It shifts very short and fast from 1-4 I know diesels get power on the low end but I feel like I dont get that snap I thought I'd get back like before the factory retard tune.

Thirdly, today was the first day towing on the highway. So it's been done for about 3 days. I didnt see the fuel mileage increases or the performance increase I thought I would. Both towing and not. I thought if anything there might be a placebo effect and that my mileage would be better just from driving it differently. Maybe to early to tell but the last few days have been average mpg or honestly maybe slightly under. Took my truck to myrtle beach a few years ago before the dealer ecu update and was getting 27-32 mpg average and was hoping I'd be somewhere close to that again.

Has anyone else gone with HD diesel and had any similar thoughts? Better to worse? Please share.
I’d say my impression of the HD diesel tune is similar to yours, except my gas mileage improved dramatically (although I never bother checking it while towing, nor would I expect it to improve towing mileage). I did notice it rid the engine of the cold throttle lag though, and also noticed the new odor you also mentioned.
Those that claim vast improvements in power I think are having that “placebo effect” as you said. Remember this is only a 240hp motor to begin with...how much power could you even get from a tune, without over stressing things? I notice no change in power what so ever, towing or not, but I’m fine with that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The smell is diesel is what gets me excited. Wish they made a cologne!

In the summer, if you put water as DEF and with GDE tune, would the smell be the same as if you deleted the DPF (and no DEF).

The smell is already bad, so how much worst is it if you deleted the DPF? I would think the DEF would make it smell worst, any thougths??

1 - 20 of 23 Posts