RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
In the summer, if you put water as DEF and with GDE tune, would the smell be the same as if you deleted the DPF (and no DEF).

The smell is already bad, so how much worst is it if you deleted the DPF? I would think the DEF would make it smell worst, any thougths??
The dpf just catchs soot it doesnt alter smell. The doc is what makes the smell difference but these have a combo doc/dpf so I guess it would since you would remove both. The def does cause some smells but its injected after the dpf to react across the scr and doesnt go active tell the exhaust is warmed up.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I have an Arctic Cat 700 Diesel that I turbocharged and maxed out the fuel screw. No smog crap on it. That exhaust smells great, to me! Now the exhaust on my Ram with intact DPF/DOC and SCR turned off has a rank odor. I will probably delete the Ram at some point.

·
Registered
481 Posts
In the summer, if you put water as DEF and with GDE tune, would the smell be the same as if you deleted the DPF (and no DEF).

The smell is already bad, so how much worst is it if you deleted the DPF? I would think the DEF would make it smell worst, any thougths??
Before I did a full delete, I ran distilled water with my GDE hot tune and didn't notice any difference in smell. The smell from the DEF/Water can ONLY be smelled during a regen, which is only 10-20 minutes while driving on the highway every 200 miles or so. So, what you are smelling is the cleaned exhaust smell, which smells kinda like cat piss. It doesn't smell anything like a traditional diesel.

If you go through the hassle to delete the DPF, you will most likely be deleting the SCR and DEF as well. All of the aftermarket delete pipes remove both the DPF and SCR and the tunes also remove DPF, SCR and DEF. So, if you do a full delete, you won't be using any DEF anyway and your truck will smell like a traditional diesel.

Some will install a high flow DOC to remove some of the diesel smell. I don't mind the smell of my deleted diesels and neither does my wife.

Reactions: KRom
21 - 23 of 23 Posts