RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will receive my long awaited Laramie Longhorn ED on 5/26/14. I have been and will remain a stickler for preventive maintenance. I plan to perform an oil with filter change and rear differential fluid change at ~ 500 miles. Has anyone out there added a Mag-Hytec differential cover on one of of the new Ram 1500's with the air suspension? If so have there been any clearance issues? When I perform the fluid changes, I'll be 2 1/2 hours from a Ram dealer. I don't want to find myself in a bind needing a factory gasket to reinstall the old differential cover.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does anyone have the part number for the differential gasket. I've searched several Mopar parts vendors without success.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Normally there is no gasket, just RTV silicone sealant

·
Registered
255 Posts
I would like to change the rear diff fluid as well. Which Mag - Hytec cover fits our diff? Also what gear oil do we use? I know its a serious synthetic grade but whats the number? My previous dodge was using 175 W 90 or something of that sort.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Mag-Hytec cover for the rear ED 1500 is Dodge #12-9.25
$265.00
Overall height 3 3/8"
Vans, Ram 1500, Durango and some Dakotas.

The install was somewhat of a pain. The torsion bars must be released on one side for mounting clearance.

I am a fan of the o-ring seal. I ran the differential and transmission covers for 12 years on my 3/4 ton Chevy. Never a leak.

Don't believe the 4-5 quart capacity. It was approximately 3.5 quarts with my 3.55 limited slip. I used Amsoil 75W-140 with Mopar limited slip additive.

Expensive (your decision), necessary (?), just one of the upgrades I've done.

One other suggestion: best way to remove the factory sealant was with brake cleaner and "fine" steel wool to prevent scratching the mounting surface.

·
Registered
521 Posts
The Mag-Hytec cover for the rear ED 1500 is Dodge #12-9.25
$265.00
Overall height 3 3/8"
Vans, Ram 1500, Durango and some Dakotas.

The install was somewhat of a pain. The torsion bars must be released on one side for mounting clearance.

I am a fan of the o-ring seal. I ran the differential and transmission covers for 12 years on my 3/4 ton Chevy. Never a leak.

Don't believe the 4-5 quart capacity. It was approximately 3.5 quarts with my 3.55 limited slip. I used Amsoil 75W-140 with Mopar limited slip additive.

Expensive (your decision), necessary (?), just one of the upgrades I've done.

One other suggestion: best way to remove the factory sealant was with brake cleaner and "fine" steel wool to prevent scratching the mounting surface.
You had to remove the sway bar, not torsion bar. Also limited slip additive isn't required with a helical limited slip.

·
Registered
308 Posts
IMHO, the cover is a quality item! I've bought two of them for other trucks I've owned. It lets you add more fluid and just the nature of the cover will exhibit a better cooling effect on the gear oil, is it worth the cost? I would think normal use of this truck, other drivetrain parts will wear out sooner than the rear gears, but I guess if it makes you feel you have a better insurance against rear gear failure, then I guess it is worth it.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I do not know if it is required or not but the owner' manual is pretty clear. It says to use it.
That's weird, it uses the same style limited slip as the 2500's and they don't require it. I know for a fact the fluid the 11.5's take don't contain friction modifier either. Hmm...

·
Registered
583 Posts
I don't think the LSD for the 1500 is the same. Someone mentioned that it is a "torque sensing" diff. My owner's manual specifically says that the friction modifier is required IF you have the LSD.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Someone just needs to pop their OEM cover off and see what kind of LSD these have.:D

·
Registered
391 Posts
I wonder if the mag hytec for these will be as bad as they were for the 2500/3500's in the front. those things hit the track bar, steering and the steering stabilizer clamp.

As far as the LSD, dodge went to the gear style in 03 on the 2500/3500's. so I would imagine thats what these have. The rear axle on these are basically the front axle off those trucks. (9.25")

·
Registered
735 Posts
I’ve seen poss/pictures of the Mag-Hytec diff cover on the rear of these and evidently it does fit.

The 2500/3500s have AAM axles front and rear. These 1500’s use a Chrysler rear axle with in internal ZF gear set; the front differential is now from ZF too. My guess is the ZF is a gear type torque biasing LSD, which is fine unless one axle has no traction at all, but I haven’t seen anyone confirm yet.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I wonder if the mag hytec for these will be as bad as they were for the 2500/3500's in the front. those things hit the track bar, steering and the steering stabilizer clamp.

As far as the LSD, dodge went to the gear style in 03 on the 2500/3500's. so I would imagine thats what these have. The rear axle on these are basically the front axle off those trucks. (9.25")
The fact that both axles have a 9.25" ring gear is about the only thing they have in common.

·
Registered
391 Posts
The fact that both axles have a 9.25" ring gear is about the only thing they have in common.
Thats about what i figured. But with mag hytec's track record of hitting anything that is near it (stuff i listed above) i question if the cover for this axle is going to hit the track bar that is on the rear of these trucks. Thats all i was gettting at, and that i would "think" it would have a helical limited slip.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts