RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have a 2015 eco with a GDE tune 140,000 mi on it. It have a suspicious whining coming from the front bottom of my engine that sounds like an idler pulley bearing. Louder with higher rpm. I verified it is not with a pulley with a stethoscope and it is coming from the bottom front of the engine. I have to admit I drove about 6000 mi with the noise because I thought it was the idler pulley and had no power issues. I know these engines have some history of the main bearing backing out past the oiler port and failing but after 6000 whining miles wouldn’t it have failed by now? How could I possibly check anything else or does anyone have any other ideas?

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Main bearings spinning dont make a whining noise like a pulley. You might have a timing chain issue or even a oil pump issue. Have you checked the oil pressure and done an oil analysis?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just did an oil change with no shavings in the filter (I checked closely). I have read that the oil pressure is not a true pressure on the digital read out, I think its a combo a couple other sensors? And I believe GDE sells aftermarket oil pressure sensors i may look into. I have seen pics of timing chain replacements that look like a nightmare! Can you verify either of these things? And thanks for the thought it’s a strong one!
much appreciated- Nate

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Gde no longer offers there oil pressure sensing option but its easy enough to add a gauge and yes the timing chains would be a bigger job.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Highly doubt its anything inside the engine. Remove the belt and spin/check all accessories. Betting one of them has a bad bearing.

If it was a main, you would likely not make it 6k miles.

·
Registered
2017 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel 4x4 Quad Cab 3.55 Gears
1,118 Posts
Gde no longer offers there oil pressure sensing option but its easy enough to add a gauge and yes the timing chains would be a bigger job.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Front lower portion of motor... that is where your HPFP is.

Any metal in your fuel filter? Have you added an additive for extra lube in the fuel and see if it changes anythign?

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Front lower portion of motor... that is where your HPFP is.

Any metal in your fuel filter? Have you added an additive for extra lube in the fuel and see if it changes anythign?
I thought the HPFP was connected to the passenger-side valvetrain which would put it at the top of the engine.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I thought the HPFP was connected to the passenger-side valvetrain which would put it at the top of the engine.
You are correct. It is on the upper portion of the motor, but sits pretty low in th engine compartment. Still think it would be worth looking into. If hearing was good enough to tell exactly where the noise came from the problem would be fixed by now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts