RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

Main bearing failure?

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  MAS 
#1 ·
Hello all, I have a 2015 eco with a GDE tune 140,000 mi on it. It have a suspicious whining coming from the front bottom of my engine that sounds like an idler pulley bearing. Louder with higher rpm. I verified it is not with a pulley with a stethoscope and it is coming from the bottom front of the engine. I have to admit I drove about 6000 mi with the noise because I thought it was the idler pulley and had no power issues. I know these engines have some history of the main bearing backing out past the oiler port and failing but after 6000 whining miles wouldn’t it have failed by now? How could I possibly check anything else or does anyone have any other ideas?

#4 ·
Just did an oil change with no shavings in the filter (I checked closely). I have read that the oil pressure is not a true pressure on the digital read out, I think its a combo a couple other sensors? And I believe GDE sells aftermarket oil pressure sensors i may look into. I have seen pics of timing chain replacements that look like a nightmare! Can you verify either of these things? And thanks for the thought it’s a strong one!
much appreciated- Nate

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.