RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Given the topic of oil types and warranty coverage I thought I would read the warranty booklet to see what it says. I understand individual states have some different requirements that may change the terms of the warranty.

The first paragraph to look at is the following-

Your warranties don’t cover the costs of repairing
damage caused by poor or improper maintenance. Nor
do they cover damage caused by the use of contaminated
fuels, or by the use of fuels, oils, lubricants, cleaners or
fluids other than those recommended in your Owner’s
Manual.

If we accept that there is nothing unique about our engine materials and design from a lubrication perspective, which I do not think is a bad assumption but isn't a certainty, and accept the reputation and good performance of all of the high quality fully synthetic diesel oils then the use of T6 or similar oils will not cause the failure of your engine's lower end and therefore FCA will not be able to prove that it did so they will not be able to refuse your warranty on a failed engine. However, if we look at the emissions system I think the answer is different. It seems to me likely that a non MS11106 oil could result in a premature failure of the emissions system and FCA could likely prove that and then have a basis and right to refuse to warranty the failure.

Then, to assess the need to maintain records, we have to look at the following paragraph-

9.1 General Information
It’s your responsibility to properly maintain and operate
your new vehicle. Follow the instructions contained in
the General and Scheduled Maintenance Service guidelines
in your Owner’s Manual. Regular, scheduled maintenance
is essential to trouble-free operation. If there is a
dispute between you and Chrysler Group LLC
(Chrysler) concerning your maintenance of your vehicle,
Chrysler will require you to provide proof that
your vehicle was properly maintained.

For your convenience, Chrysler has prepared a Maintenance
Log which is included in your Owner’s Manual.
You should use this Maintenance Log to keep track of
scheduled maintenance, either by routinely having the
repairs entered in your Maintenance Log, or by keeping
receipts or other documentation of work you’ve had
done on your vehicle in your Maintenance Log.

What I take from that is that they can require you to prove that the vehicle has been 'properly' maintained. Any reasonable person would conclude that 'proper' maintenance would include using the FCA required fluids, including oil. It does not seem to me that they have the right to demand that immediately after the time of failure. There seems to need to be a basis for them to suspect the maintenance was compromised, although it doesn't precisely say that. Later on it seems to indicate that you can satisfy them by completing the maintenance log OR by keeping receipts or other documentation. I am not sure how a written log without backup on the type of oil and filter used can unquestionably prove what oil you used.

In summary it seems to me there is virtually no reason to suspect using a non 11106 oil will compromise the warranty on the engine itself but it is highly likely that it could compromise the warranty of your emissions system. I understand that T6 says it is OK for DPF equipped vehicles and that some DPF equipped vehicles may in fact specify it as acceptable(although I do think the additive and contamination issue is more with the catalysts and not the DPF). I can imagine that emissions systems can be designed with varying degrees of tolerance for contamination and for different design lives. FCA has specified the 11106 oil for some reason. I think the 5w30 portion is for fuel economy and the additive package is to adequately protect the engine and emissions system for their design life. It isn't unreasonable to expect the design life of a half ton truck to be something like 200,000 miles for major components which is probably less than the design life for a 3/4 or one ton vehicle. I expect many vehicles, gas or diesel, that reach 200,000 miles have had repairs/replacements of portions of their emissions system.

It seems like if you are using 11106 oil keep your receipts to avoid a controversy and be willing to show FCA that you followed their recommendations. If you are not using 11106 oil it still seems to me it is prudent to keep your receipts. If you have an engine failure you can show then that you did use a high quality lubricant that was not the cause of the engine failure and if you have an emissions failure you show them the log that says you did the maintenance and tell them their warranty says all you have to do is fill in the log.

So that's my 2 cents worth after spending 45 minutes or so looking at it.(PS I looked at the warranty for the 2014 model year)

·
Registered
370 Posts
In the end, if your emission system fails, and they refuse to "repair" it under warranty, your fix may be to simply delete the system in its entirety, paying for it yourself, and enjoying the benefits of a much better running longer lasting engine. Of course, some of us cannot do that because of annual state inspections, but most states DO NOT have those inspections, including mine. I know two people who were quoted anywhere from $8000 to $12000 to "repair" their emission systems in Ford diesels and they instead spent a small fraction of that to get their trucks out of limp mode and back on the road again with system deletes, running MUCH better and more efficiently than before. I would be MUCH more worried about a bottom end failure. Still, for my first change I will be going with the Kendall GT 11106 oil
Just a thought.

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
So your using Rosella T6. Enter it in the book for referral if there is an issue.

My take on all this oil choice is it's all about keeping the warranty for the engine. After that period a delete for emissions and any good oil for the engine should be fine.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i am not using Rotella. Don't know where you got that crazy idea. If I was using non 11106 it would be a DELO!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts