RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very skeptical of getting the GDE tune because of the possibility of it voiding my warranty. With that said is there anything I can do to prevent the problems caused by the EGR cooler or the DPF failure?

I had a very bad purchasing experience with Grapevine Ram and don't trust them with any service advice.

My 2014 has 14,500 miles and i absolutely love the truck. I have had both 2004 and 2011 1500 hemi and this blows them out of the water. the 2004 averaged 11 mpg and the 2011 13mpg. i consistently get around 21 with about 65/35 city to highway driving.

This is my first diesel and any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
453 Posts
You can unplug the egr harness, but then you live with a mil light and lose remote start ( if you have that) plus there is the possibility of doing damage from over boosting during certain driving conditions because the excess boost cannot flow through the EGR like a waste gate. Same would go for physically blocking the egr

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is there any way to clean the excess soot off the egr? I want to leave everything plugged in and functioning the way to was designed. Just looking for anything i can do to prevent a failure.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Talk to GDE to put your mind at easy about their tune, That eliminates most the soot problem.

Reactions: rem26

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
is there any way to clean the excess soot off the egr? I want to leave everything plugged in and functioning the way to was designed. Just looking for anything i can do to prevent a failure.
I have almost 177,000 km never looked at EGR valve yet

·
Super Moderator
3,416 Posts
Lol Dave I haven't either. I did get the GDE tune at 33,000 but still I've never looked at it either.

Reactions: Davef

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Lol Dave I haven't either. I did get the GDE tune at 33,000 but still I've never looked at it either.
Vern. Yes and I'm still running the stock original fuel filter

Not for long though I said I would do it at the next oil change and I'm at 3% left right now

Total time 4926 hours

·
Registered
185 Posts
I thought i was pushing it with 86,000 KM LOL I did my fuel filter today. actually looked pretty good.

Vern. Yes and I'm still running the stock original fuel filter

Not for long though I said I would do it at the next oil change and I'm at 3% left right now

Total time 4926 hours

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I thought i was pushing it with 86,000 KM LOL I did my fuel filter today. actually looked pretty good.
4943 hours. 177363 km (110000 miles)original fuel filter
change oil light came on today
truck sold today bought a new ecodiesel

cya and thank you for the good service

·
Registered
4,844 Posts

congrats on the new truck and hope it serves you as well as the old one.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Davef. Congratulations on your new truck , best of luck with the new one and please keep your very interesting posts coming . I've always enjoyed reading them and the way you use your truck . Please post the specs of your new truck if you don't mind . Again congratulations!!!!!!

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
DaveF ,,Cmon what's the real reason you traded/Sold with only 110K miles...Tax incentive, just wanted New?

·
Registered
4,320 Posts

Congratulations on an Ecodiesel success story. I think that you made a smart move...best of luck!

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
It was easier than changing the fuel filter..
Still have a brand-new fuel filter but I never installed likely you will fit the new 2016
When it is time of course LOL
Also got a new case of oil and oil filter as well I guess you'll have to wait for two months to change the oil actually about three to half months because the dealer will cover the first one only for free

·
Registered
1,226 Posts

Congrats! Any photos of the new ride?

·
Super Moderator
3,416 Posts
Dave.. Pics or it never happened. Almost 5,000 hours with no down time and certainly at times hard service is impressive. Me thinks the dealership should be advised to change the fuel filter before the next unsuspecting sap has a problem and comes on here bitching he is going back to Ford as these EDs are all JUNK! LOL the service tech might get a gallon of water out of that lil filter.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts