RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here I am in Texas with my new 2020 Limited and the temps are expected to get to Zero. I know growing
up in Wisconsin that I needed either #1 Diesel or to add some Power Service or other anti-gel product to keep
my fuel from geling. Needless to say on Sunday PM there was none to be found so I plugged my truck in and hoped
for the best. Started the truck on Monday after the temps got up to mid-teens and was surprised that it fired right off but when I hit the accelerator it died. So I waited until Friday when it finally got above freezing and everything was fine except my MIL was illuminated. Thinking that low fuel pressure probably triggered the event I drove the truck about
30 miles but the lamp is still on. According to the manual it said multiple drive cycles may correct the problem. Anyone else ever experience this and how many drive cycles should clear the event if there is no longer and issue?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Lamp should go off after a few drive cycles. Next time, if you ever expect temps that cold= dump in 5 gallons of kerosene and let it cycle thru the fuel system. I run #2 summer fuel all winter , here in Maine, but if it's going to be below 15F, cut my tank 25% with kerosene, below 0F 50% kerosene. I use double dose of Hot Shots EDT as well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lamp should go off after a few drive cycles. Next time, if you ever expect temps that cold= dump in 5 gallons of kerosene and let it cycle thru the fuel system. I run #2 summer fuel all winter , here in Maine, but if it's going to be below 15F, cut my tank 25% with kerosene, below 0F 50% kerosene. I use double dose of Hot Shots EDT as well.
thanks for the info. Needless to say I will be better prepared in the future. Extreme cold not anticipated here in Texas. I've lived here for 23 years and up until now, the coldest I recall was maybe the upper teens. FYI, after temps in the single digits and down to zero, it hit 74 here yesterday.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Unless you're using a lubricity additive, do not drop kerosene into your fuel tank. Kerosene has nothing added to it and will be extrememly hard on your high pressure fuel pump. Kerosene may be very close to #1 diesel or Jet A, but without additives it may just as bad as dumping gasoline into your tank.

Of course, if you're already using an additive, you don't really need to add anything else. AS mentioned though, if you know the weather's coming, you can increase the amount of additive used.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Unless you're using a lubricity additive, do not drop kerosene into your fuel tank. Kerosene has nothing added to it and will be extrememly hard on your high pressure fuel pump. Kerosene may be very close to #1 diesel or Jet A, but without additives it may just as bad as dumping gasoline into your tank.

Of course, if you're already using an additive, you don't really need to add anything else. AS mentioned though, if you know the weather's coming, you can increase the amount of additive used.
Correct! I keep a bottle of Hot Shots EDT in my rear floor storage box, double dose for kero. I kinda trust the weather forecast, but they do screw up!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts