RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( I have seen a few threads in the past that talked about cleaning the Map sensor but never got around to checking into it. Today I had some time and decided to look up a picture of the sensor location and tackle the job. I was totally dismayed to see how much soot was around the sensor at around almost 39k kms. I could not see the sensor for the huge amount of soot surrounding it. How could it work at all and not shut me down surprised me. With my Eco that I have owned for 2 years this month I was new to diesel. I have never experienced something so built up on a sensor before. Even badly built up poor spark plugs and O2 sensors paled in comparison. I don't know how cleaning it will affect my fuel mileage , which had gone down but still way better than a Hemi, but I will have t see. I always try to use a top tier supplier for fuel to get the best for my baby and have already done the 5w40 T6 change. This little experience has lead me to more actively try to put money aside for a GDE tune, and when I do get it I will be cleaning the Map upon install to get the best for my baby. In the mean time I will make sure to clean it at least no later than every 20k kms.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
Seeing all that soot will definitely sway a person toward GDE and a cleaner running engine. Remember that your entire intake has the same amount of soot.

Post up an change in mileage you experience after cleaning.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I have seen a few threads in the past that talked about cleaning the Map sensor but never got around to checking into it. Today I had some time and decided to look up a picture of the sensor location and tackle the job. I was totally dismayed to see how much soot was around the sensor at around almost 39k kms. I could not see the sensor for the huge amount of soot surrounding it. How could it work at all and not shut me down surprised me. With my Eco that I have owned for 2 years this month I was new to diesel. I have never experienced something so built up on a sensor before. Even badly built up poor spark plugs and O2 sensors paled in comparison. I don't know how cleaning it will affect my fuel mileage , which had gone down but still way better than a Hemi, but I will have t see. I always try to use a top tier supplier for fuel to get the best for my baby and have already done the 5w40 T6 change. This little experience has lead me to more actively try to put money aside for a GDE tune, and when I do get it I will be cleaning the Map upon install to get the best for my baby. In the mean time I will make sure to clean it at least no later than every 20k kms.
I asked GDE about cleaning the sensor after the tune. There response was it doesn't matter since its rendered useless. For piece of mind you could clean it though. I figured I'd leave it alone so not to break something and my tune was at 6k.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I asked GDE about cleaning the sensor after the tune. There response was it doesn't matter since its rendered useless. For piece of mind you could clean it though. I figured I'd leave it alone so not to break something and my tune was at 6k.
They said the MAP sensor was rendered useless? I think they were talking about the EGR diffuser tube (shut off and rendered useless). The MAP sensor is used post tune.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
They said the MAP sensor was rendered useless? I think they were talking about the EGR diffuser tube (shut off and rendered useless). The MAP sensor is used post tune.
I don't personally know, but have read elsewhere in reference to other diesels that if the MAP sensor is only utilized to control the EGR. If the EGR is disables the MAP has no purpose.... Again I don't pretend to know the facts behind it just what I have read.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts